Monday 28 December 2015

Challenge Update - December 2015

My 2015 challenges are:-

1) Read one book each month.

1a) Read Agatha Christie books in chronological order.

2) Watch films from IMDb's top 100 movies of all time.

3) Support charities.

I didn't expect to get through many books this month, what with the lead up to Christmas and the busyness of it all but I managed two books as well as the Agatha Christie one.


I watched the new television adaptation of Poldark earlier on this year and really enjoyed it so when I saw Ross Poldark by Winston Graham for sale in a charity shop, I didn't hesitate in buying it. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and even though I'd seen the series on tv, it didn't spoil the book for me.


I read a Liane Moriarty book, The Husband's Secret, back in March and really enjoyed it, so I picked up another book by the same author, The Last Anniversary, when I saw it in a charity shop. I thought it was a good read, though I did unravel the mystery almost from the beginning.



Peril At End House was my Agatha Christie read this month. It took me a little while to get in to this book and I did guess who the murderer was, though I changed my mind and latched on to someone else before it was finally revealed. I find Agatha Christie is very good at keeping you guessing and setting up lots of red herrings making you question what you think.


I've managed to watch five films this month and I had every intention of watching It's A Wonderful Life in the run up to Christmas too, though I just ran out of time right before the big day.

Sunset Boulevard is a film I've seen before. In fact, I watched it back in July 2013 as part of my challenges then and didn't particularly enjoy it. In fact, I didn't think I'd watch it again but I'm so pleased I did as I really enjoyed it this time round. I sometimes find that I enjoy a film much better the second time I watch it.

Casablanca is another film I watched back in 2013. I enjoyed it the first time I saw it and I enjoyed watching it again.

I've also seen Rear Window before. I think this is a brilliant film, though I do like many James Stewart films.

I've never really fancied Braveheart but this is one of the best films I've watched as part of this challenge this year. I didn't expect to like it but once again, I proved myself wrong. It was very gory which I didn't like, but it's one of those films which stay with you after you've seen it. I found myself thinking about it for quite a while after watching it. I thought Mel Gibson was excellent in it.

Back To The Future is another film that's never taken my fancy but it was ok. I wouldn't rave about it but it's a film which all the family can watch together.


I've cut down on the number of Christmas cards I've sent over the past couple of years. I still send to people I don't see very often and elderly relatives who I know enjoy receiving cards but I decided that I'd give a donation to charity in lieu of sending cards to other people. The Salvation Army do such a great job, especially at Christmas time, so I thought I'd give my donation this year to them.

At the beginning of the month, Dogs Trust had their Christmas Fair. I do try and support them by attending their events whenever I can and this was no exception. You can see the festive photo we had taken of Archie in my Santa Paws post.


Archie has had so many toys bought for him over the years that he won't play with. He hates things which squeak, balls, or anything made of plastic so we had a good sort out and took all his unwanted toys with us to Dogs Trust for the dogs there. We also took yet more old bedding. They must go through quite a lot of quilts and blankets, they always seem pleased to receive donations.


I sorted out more things to donate to a charity shop this month. We took them to the R.S.P.C.A. shop. I'm still sorting other things out so there'll be plenty more donations being made next year.


Another donation has been made to the food bank. I'm always mindful that whilst I'm tucking in to a hearty Christmas dinner, there are others very much less fortunate than myself. I know this isn't much in the grand scheme of things but I hope that someone will be less hungry because of my donation. You can find your local food bank on The Trussell Trust website


I hope you've all had a lovely Christmas. Mick isn't back to work until next Monday and Eleanor returns to school the same day, so we're still chilling out. We've still got Daniel and his girlfriend with us. The areas where both of their houses are in York are under threat of flood so I'm not sure when they'll return home. Another storm is due Tuesday night in to Wednesday which isn't going to help matters. My heart goes out to all those people who have been affected all around the country.

26 comments:

  1. Something, I want to make more time for next year is reading, I struggle with fiction, preferring non fiction, saying that I don't mind a mystery, very generous of you with your charity donations, I am due another sort out, x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I all but stopped reading books when the kids were growing up, I just couldn't find the time and I was asleep as soon as my head touched the pillow. I'm so pleased that I've got back in to reading again though now, I mainly read in bed but sometimes I have to read through the day if the book's really good. There's so many ways to help charities, there's so many deserving causes.

      Delete
  2. So much rain and flooding. It makes me so sad to see people trying to save their homes. You have reminded me to do a food bank parcel. This will be a tough time for some families over the holiday period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The news reports are so depressing at the moment, it makes me sad too to see all those poor people. Daniel has friends whose houses have flooded. I think the food banks do such a wonderful job, I'd hate to think that any of my own family were without food so I do try to help when I can.

      Delete
  3. You've done really well on your challenges this year are you planning any for 2016? Really enjoying the 12 day of Christmas swap it's such a good idea - Mike has been handing me a present each morning to open. Mikes off this week too I'm not:( but its nice knowing he's home. Hope you had a good Christmas & I hope Daniel & his girlfriend are able to return to their accommodation soon, its awfully sad reading about the floods throughout the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't planned any challenges for 2016 as yet, I'm not sure I'll do any. Glad you're enjoying the swap, I'm having a great time opening my parcels each day and I'll be blogging about everything I got soon. Daniel has friends whose houses have flooded, it's terribly sad. I'm not sure when he's going to be able to get back to York with the forecast as it is at present.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you're OK! And your challenge has been fun to follow. What's in store for next year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed this year's challenges though I'm not sure I'm going to do any next year, I haven't planned anything yet but we'll see.

      Delete
  5. Another year of challenges done and dusted. Well done, Jo. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They were fun challenges so I enjoyed them.

      Delete
  6. Well done on your year of challenges! I hope that you enjoy whatever 2016 brings! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm not sure I'll set any challenges for 2016, we'll see.

      Delete
  7. You set such ambitious challenges for yourself! Even if you did not achieve as much as you hoped to, you have made progress which is worth celebrating. I am cheering you on to a Happy 2016, Jo! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always choose fun challenges, that way it keeps me motivated to continue with them right the way through the year. Thank you, wishing you a happy 2016 too.

      Delete
  8. Glad you are OK, but my poor sister-in-law is stuck in Lancashire with family as there is nearby flooding and a sink hole on the M62. Well done with your years challenges and maybe something less demanding for next year. What about learning to use that sewing machine?(giggle). Hope that rain doesn't materialise tonight. Have a good week with family and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear about your sister in law, there's so many places around the country which are affected. I'm not sure I'm going to set any challenges for 2016, I haven't quite decided yet.

      Delete
  9. Well done on keeping these challenges going throughout the year. They've provided plenty of good recommendations for books, films and good causes. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really enjoyed these challenges, they've been fun to do.

      Delete
  10. So sad about the flooding. We went through a flood...not a good thing. Prayers that she stays safe and dry. I'm impressed with all you accomplished in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flooding here is terrible at the moment, I can't begin to imagine how bad the damage is going to be once the water drains.

      Delete
  11. Graham and I watched Sunset B a while ago and we loved it. I'm keeping everything crossed that the houses are ok for Daniel and Jasmine.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed Sunset Boulevard much more on the second time of watching. I'd quite like to see the musical now. Daniel and Jasmine's houses are fine so far, we're keeping our fingers crossed.

      Delete
  12. I do hope your son's house is not flooded, the weather has been awful these past weeks hasn't it. Your challenges sound amazing, so much to fit in but we always find the time of the things we want to don't we. I must look to see if there is a food bank near me they do such good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His house is fine so far but the River Ouse is rising again so we're still keeping our fingers crossed. I'm glad I found time for my challenges this year, they're just fun things which I've enjoyed doing. The food banks do such a wonderful job and the volunteers are always so grateful when you take in a donation.

      Delete