Friday 23 February 2024

Habitation Throw

I started the Habitation Throw back in August of last year. I won a pattern prize on the My Yarny Corner podcast and I chose this, it's been a lovely blanket to knit. The pattern is by Helen Stewart and it's written in a way so that you can use whatever amount and weight of yarn you've got, or make the blanket the size of your own choosing. It's knit on larger needles than usual for the yarn weight you choose, so the blanket is light and airy and has a nice drape. It doesn't need much concentration so it's what I've been reaching for on an evening when I've been watching TV.

The colours are very mismatched and haphazard but that was the plan, it was a project to use up some of the yarn I received in my yarny advent calendars which I opened in 2021 and 2022. Those advent calendars were a collaboration between many different yarn dyers and as such, the colours of each mini skein didn't follow any sort of order. I think it's fun how it's worked out though, such a riot of colour. It's been interesting to try yarn from so many different dyers, there's a few in there which I really enjoyed so I may purchase more of their yarn in the future.

I love how the i-cord edging is knit as you go so that you don't have to add it at the end. It finishes it off beautifully too.

I shall get back to my mitred square blanket again now that this is finished, I've still got quite a few squares on that one to go before it's finished but like the Habitation Throw, it's an easy knit which is what my brain needs at the end of the day.

17 comments:

  1. Your blanket is beautiful, it looks so light, I do love the Icord edging, it's a pretty and neat finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like the Habitation Throw has been a wonderful project for you, both enjoyable to knit and practical for cozy evenings. The flexibility of the pattern to accommodate various yarn weights and quantities is a great feature, allowing for personalization and creativity. Knitting while watching TV sounds like the perfect way to unwind and make progress on a beautiful blanket.

    READ MY NEW BLOG POST: Melody Jacob Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such an attractive throw. I can just imagine curling up under it, light and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love that blanket, the edges are so neat.. I think I'll look it up for the pattern . You've really done it justice with the colours you've chosen, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to have to look up how to do that icord edging because it looks great. I love your blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great looking throw - the colours look lovely together.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like your Habitation Throw, the colours together look amazing.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks wonderful. Nan would always use left-over wool to crochet blankets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful and I love all the colors. Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is absolutely gorgeous! If I could knit I'd make myself one of these.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful Jo, what a great use of your advent calendar yarn, I love the edging what a great idea. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just beautiful!! Oh to be so talented....would be so nice!! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. that's lovely, i have loads of minis so may well have to cast one on !

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must have missed this post when it came out! I really like your blanket, don't the colours go so well together and the pattern looks great with those little holes.

    ReplyDelete