Wednesday 13 July 2022

Through My Kitchen Window

One of the first things we did when we moved house was put out the bird bath. I could spend ages watching the birds in the garden, it's like a soap opera out there with all the petty squabbles, the comings and goings, the regulars and the newcomers. We don't get the variety of birds in our garden that we had at our old house, but we're encouraging more with the different types of food that we're offering.

The bird bath has been a hive of activity over the past week with the temperatures soaring. The birds are queueing up to bathe and drink from it.

These photos were taken on Monday when I just glanced through my kitchen window, saw a lot of activity around the bird bath and reached for my camera.

My parents used to love watching the birds in the garden. The house where I grew up backed onto farmland and we'd get quite a variety of different birds visiting, everything from sparrows and thrushes to woodpeckers, bullfinches and even pheasants. House Martins would build their nests under the eaves in springtime right above my bedroom window and I'd wake to the noise of their chicks chirping. I suppose I took it for granted that birds visit gardens and I could watch them any time I wanted if I just looked out of the window. When I moved into my own house I continued to feed the birds, as my parents had done, just as a matter of course, but it was then that I found a real enjoyment from watching them in the garden.

It's just as important, if not more so, to provide water as well as food for the birds, especially in hot weather when many of the natural sources of water will have dried up. Birds need water to drink but also to bathe in, which doesn't only keep them clean but also helps them to cool down.

It was a little cooler yesterday but the bird bath was still being well used, and as the temperatures are on the rise again with records set to be broken at the weekend, I'll make sure that our feathered friends are kept well watered.

18 comments:

  1. We love the wildlife in our garden, the birds do squabble and are noise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me smile that you attended to the 'neighbours' as soon as you arrived at your new home. I would expect that with more food and appropriate shelter you will soon increase your birdy visitors.

    I am guessing that is a newly fledged group of sparrows, and yes, they do seem to squabble (one of the collective nouns for sparrows is 'a quarrel').

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post and pictures. My parents, especially mum, also liked watching the birds in their garden. The first thing I do when I get to the plot is to check the water in both ponds as I know birds use both of them. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great photos Jo, especially that last one. It's been so hot, your bird bath must be in demand, it's a wonder there isn't a queue along the fence but perhaps they all want to barge in together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband is a potter and he made me a bird feeder for Christmas (it looks like a large mug, hung on a hook). I love watching all the birds come in and out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos Jo, I love watching the birds too, I have a bird bath near my summerhouse door so the birds can't see me when I'm inside but I can see them quite closely I have to laugh at the way they squabble and fight each other to get to the water.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely photos, it really is so good watching the birds in a bird bath isn't it. I have my late father's bird bath in my garden now, as well as the wildlife pond which is popular, and some lower down water for any passing hedgehogs or foxes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos Jo, I love your bird bath it looks like it is being well used. We have lots of sparrows here too, I love watching them from the window you are so right it is like a soap opera watching their comings and goings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have feeders at the front and back of our house where I can watch them whenever I want. It's lovely to watch them and I do love to see them in the bird bath too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely Jo & hope to see more feathered friends come to share the birdbath. As you know, I love our birds here too and poor DH couldn't hear the news a few days ago above the racket, 6 of my magpies were making out the back. I've a little butcher bird visiting regularly now too. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to watch the birds from the kitchen window. It makes washing the dishes a far more enjoyable experience. X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely photos of the birds enjoying your new garden. I love to see them and it's so important to care for them especially in this hot weather. I was watching our local news programme and seeing how low the river has become, very worrying for the fish too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely images. The Mr has put lots of dishes of water around the garden for the wildlife. And we have a large pond too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww how cute, I love watching the birds too. It's funny how different areas of the country have different visitors, we have only had goldfinches one year in our garden despite me putting food out they they are supposed to like, I hear them and see them sometimes but obviously they don't like whats on offer, lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never had a bird bath, but think I would enjoy that. We don't put food out, as we have an abundance of birds without doing so; but I wonder if the birds would be different if we did?
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely to see your photographs.
    I agree birds are a joy to watch.

    Happy weekend wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've only seen the blackbirds bathing in the bird bath in my back garden. The others take a drink, but no bathing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your sparrows certainly look like they are enjoying themselves :) The ones which visit my garden have been dunking themselves at the edge of my garden pond just recently, I could spend ages watching them from an upstairs window.

    ReplyDelete