Monday 25 July 2022

Far From The Madding Crowd

I've never read anything by Thomas Hardy before so I didn't know what to expect when I started reading Far from the Madding Crowd.

"Hardy's powerful novel of swift sexual passion and slow-burning loyalty centres on Bathsheba Everdene, a proud working woman whose life is complicated by three different men - respectable farmer Boldwood, seductive Sergeant Troy and devoted Gabriel - making her the object of scandal and betrayal.

Vividly portraying the superstitions and traditions of a small rural community, Far from the Madding Crowd shows the precarious position of a woman in a man's world."


I found this a story of two halves. The first part was hard-going and I can't say I particularly enjoyed reading it, it went into so much detail about everything and it was quite laborious to get through, but it seemed to turn a corner half way through when I became fully engaged and invested in the characters and couldn't wait to turn the pages as I wanted to know more. I found Bathsheba quite annoying and her choices led to most of the heartache and tragedy in the story, but I'll confess that it ended as I hoped it would. 

This is a book I'd like to read again at some point in the future. Now, knowing the whole story, I believe I'd enjoy the first half of the book all the more if I were to read it again. 

I'd definitely like to read more from Hardy, so it's just as well that I've got Tess of the d'Urbervilles waiting for me on my bookshelf.

9 comments:

  1. I saw the film a few years ago and, like you, didn't like the main female character so it was hard to like the film. Maybe I should have read the book first ... but then again, maybe not! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to study Thomas hardy at A level but that was Mayor of Casterbridge - it tends to put me off Hardy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember the last time I read a "classic".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I would have the patience to plough through the first part well done on getting to the end. I'm afraid all reading has to be easy going for me nowadays. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read it Jo, I should put some classics on my 'to read' list. Thanks for your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read the book or seen the film, but interesting to read your thoughts on the book.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure I would have ploughed on with it but well done and I'm glad you enjoyed the book in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read any of his books, including this one, since my school days when I wasn't that keen on doing so. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this book for a Reading Group a few years ago and really liked it.. but haven't read any others of his, maybe I should try.

    ReplyDelete