Monday 18 April 2022

A Trio Of Blankets

Back in January, I did a post about Blankets From Stash. I'm on a mission this year to use up some of my yarn stash and as I have rather a large stash of leftover sock yarn, I decided that I'd crochet it up into blankets to give to charity.

I've lost my crafting mojo a bit this year, to say the least. I haven't picked up any knitting or cross stitch at all, but I do like something to do with my hands once I settle down for the evening to watch TV, so a bit of mindless crochet has fitted the bill well. I've been using two strands of fingering weight, or 4 Ply, sock yarn held together and have managed to make three blankets.

I've made no effort in colour matching, or using colours in any particular order, the aim has been to just use up as much of this leftover yarn as I can, but I love the marled effect which holding two strands of different coloured yarn gives.

They're all decent sized lap blankets which I had intended giving to charity, perhaps to a care home or something along those lines, but this commercial sock yarn feels quite rough to the touch in comparison with the hand-dyed merino yarn I often use for socks, I'm not sure it really fits the bill for a blanket you'd like to snuggle in, so I thought perhaps I could take them to the Dogs Trust. The yarn I've used is wool so the blankets will be nice and warm and I'm sure the doggies won't mind them not being quite as soft as I'd like.

So that's just about all the commercial sock yarn used up, next I'll be on with all the leftover Stylecraft Special DK, of which there's a fair bit. This is an acrylic yarn and though not quite as warm as wool, the blankets will be much softer and snuggly. It's good to be using up all the oddments of yarn I have left over after completing different projects.

23 comments:

  1. I love stylecraft special DK, I used the 4ply for my ripple blanket on our spare bed, I also made pushchair ripple blankets for my 3 grandchildren, they still have them in the car. Your colours have worked well, I do love using all the bits up. I have loads on 10grms 4ply hand dyed skiens to find a use for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea - I am sure the dogs would love a nice blanket to snuggle in!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be the year I learn to crochet. Lovely blankets Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would think the blankets would soften up after being washed and still be good for a care home over dog blankets. Wash in cold and lay out to dry and see what happens. Good way to use up yarn for sure. My stash is huge and I vowed not to purchase anymore yarn this year. So far, so good. Though I might need to purchase black to put some ghans together...we'll see how that goes. I've been to Hilton Head 3 times since Jan and have only physically gone into my favorite yarn shop on the island once. Had to, my crochet hook broke; so needed a replacement. AND I didn't have the right size knitting needle for another project. I used all my will power to go right to the needles, purchase and get out the door without even squeezing any yarn. Bet you can relate. I was rather proud of myself for that, lol.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great colors! I find that since I tend to like the same color schemes that the yarn doesn't clash that much on a project like this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are beautiful Jo, I'm sure the dogs will love them. I'm on a mission to empty out my storage of yarn and unfinished projects. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blankets all look great, Jo. I'm sure whoever you give them to will be happy to get them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see this crochet post pop up and know that although lots of have lost our craft mojos at the moment, we still stay busy. The rugs are gorgeous and some poor neglected dogs will love them. Funny you talking about scrap wool as we are off to DD's to deliver her table and she asked if I had any leftover bits of Stylecraft DK so she can play with her crochet too. Your comment page has changed? I'll be in touch this week. Take care & huggles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your blankets look great, they are so colourful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look gorgeous, Jo. I love the marled effect you've created with the yarn. X

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are lovely blankets Jo and you must know I thoroughly approve of you donating them to the Dogs Trust, oh bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea to use up your stash. I've sorted through my yarn stash and am using some to make my 'mad' housecoats. I have some quite large cones of wool which I'm going to sell on. The trick then is not to buy loads more. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like these, they are so colourful. Now I know nothing about the type of yarn you used but would they not soften up if washed with a fabric softener? They look far too nice to be given to dogs but if that's what you do decide to do then I'm sure some little dogs would be happy to snuggle in them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very rustic yarn, made for its durability, so it wouldn't really soften up, but I think ideal for dogs. They should last a while.

      Delete
  14. You are so generous Jo, I am sure wherever you decide to donate these lovely blankets they will be so grateful for them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good job! Using up the 1eftovers is great and for a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the tweeding of the yarns, such vibrant colours and such a worth while cause whilst giving you time to craft and use your stash xcx

    ReplyDelete
  17. How lovely! I'm sure the dogs will adore them.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the way two yarns held together looks and I use it when doing embroidery. It's great to be using up stash and leftovers. I was about to do the same with my yarn and then my daughter asked for a baby blanket so that comes first.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job, they'll be really useful and look great, the colours mix together beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done with the blankets, it feels good to use up some stash and I'm sure these will be put to very good use.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hardly had time to finish any crochet this year although I do have wips.Loving blankets.x

    ReplyDelete