Sunday 10 April 2022

Gentleman Jack

The last day of Mick's holiday from work was gorgeous, probably the hottest day of the week. We have some fabulous places to visit within Yorkshire, this day we stayed in our home county of West Yorkshire as we travelled to Halifax to Shibden Hall.

Shibden Hall was built around 1420 and the Lister family owned it from around 1615 to 1926. Anne Lister, 1791-1840, was known in Halifax as Gentleman Jack because of her masculine appearance and she became the owner of Shibden Hall after the death of her aunt.

Anne Lister was known as a well-off Yorkshire landowner as well as a traveller, mountaineer and diarist. Her diaries were detailed and exceeded four million words. She wrote about her life, including her financial concerns and her work improving Shibden Hall. A portion of the diaries were written in code and when deciphered in the 1930s, it was discovered that she'd written about her deepest emotions, her private affairs and relationships with a number of women.

Suranne Jones stars as Gentleman Jack in a programme of the same name which was broadcast in 2019. The series is based on the diaries of Anne Lister. I didn't realise at the time of our visit but a second series has been filmed and the first episode is due to be broadcast on TV tonight.

The hall is surrounded by beautifully restored gardens and estate that forms Shibden Park. It's a lovely place for a day out with the family as it has a number of attractions.

There's a woodland which Archie would ordinarily have enjoyed but it was such a warm day and the parkland is rather hilly so we didn't walk him too far.

The boats were still tied up, too early in the year to row on the lake, I don't think anyone was expecting such beautiful weather in March.

The cafe was doing a roaring trade. There were plenty of people out enjoying the sunshine.

Shibden Hall and Park is a lovely place for a day out with a bit of history thrown in too. One of these days I'll take a look inside the hall but it's always a bit difficult when we visit places such as this when Archie's with us.

20 comments:

  1. It's not a program I have watched, but the location is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a lovely place for a visit and you certainly got nice weather for Mick's last day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I have not heard of that program but what a sweet place and nice weather for Mick's day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't watched it either but, yes, the grounds are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait for the new series of 'Gentleman Jack' tonight, I loved the last series.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to visit Shibden Hall, it looks like a lovely place to visit. I really enjoyed the first series of Gentleman Jack and am really looking forward to watching it tonight. You and Mick managed to pack in some great outings when he was on his holidays and it's great that you had lovely weather for them too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning scenery, it looks like a nice place for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We visited Shibden Hall years ago and it was really impressive though a bit dark, we felt. It looks great in the series. We're hoping that series two will be just as good as series one was.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not visited here but It sounds like a really fascinating. Although I have not visited reading what you had written was all vaguely familiar perhaps because I have read about Gentleman Jack because of the TV series. Thank you for sharing all the interesting places you have been visiting and I am so glad that you got some good weather for your days out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful place to visit. It's definitely somewhere I would enjoy going to. I have yet to watch Gentleman Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely Jo & you'd love inside the house, as I've been there & think I took some photos. Ah, you are really making me want to come over again & see our family, you & other friends. Thanks for sharing, take care & big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful spot on a lovely sunny day! You've been on some excellent trips lately, let's hope Mick has another holiday soon so you can go on some more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks a lovely place for a visit and you had gorgeous weather. I didn't watch Gentleman Jack the first series so won't be watching this next series either. Your post did send me to my family tree though as some of my ancestors were called Lister but from Rothwell in West Yorkshire :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another enjoyable, and interesting, post and good pictures. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd heard of the tv series but had no idea of its origins! Gentleman Jack sounds like quite a character!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. It certainly looks a very nice place to visit.
    Lovely post and photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shibden Hall has been on my list for quite some time. I'll try and get there this year but I expect it will get very busy again because of the series. Thanks for the post about it. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like a lovely place to visit. I bet you're glad you made the most of the good weather while Mick was off work. It's rained all day here today, typical half term weather, it always seems to turn when the kids are off school.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gentleman Jack sounds like a fascinating character. I must look out for the series. What a stunning hall with lovely grounds, a wonderful day out.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks a stunning place to visit. I watched the first series but haven´t caught up with the 2nd, unfortunately with the hour difference I´m usually heading for bed xcx

    ReplyDelete