Monday 24 January 2022

Blankets From Stash

I've got quite a healthy yarn stash and want to get some of it used up this year as it does take up quite a bit of storage space. I thought it might be a nice idea to start with all the odd bits of leftover yarn, knitting or crocheting them up into blankets to give to charity.

To that end, I've started off with a crochet blanket. I'm using leftovers with a high wool content in fingering weight and holding two strands of different yarn together. As this is all about using up the yarn I'm not worrying about colours going together or matching, but I do like to see the marled effect which holding two strands together is creating. I also have quite a bit of Stylecraft DK which is an acrylic yarn which I'd like to do something with too, but I won't be mixing fibres in the blankets so I shall begin a separate project with that in the future.

This blanket is going to be one large granny square. This is the first bit of crafting I've done since before Christmas, I've lost my mojo for knitting, crochet, cross stitch etc. but I've been missing having something to do with my hands whilst watching TV so this fits the bill nicely. It's mindless crochet, going round and round the square. I see that Ali from the Little Drops of Wonderful podcast and Sherrie from the Ollie and Bella podcast are hosting the Cosy Winter Blanket Along at the moment so I'll be able to join in with that.

Do you like my crochet hook? Eleanor bought this for Christmas 2020 for me but this is the first time I've used it. I'm really pleased with how it feels in the hand, I find it really easy to hold and comfortable to crochet with. I love the sunflowers and little bees.

Perhaps this little project will encourage my crafting mojo to return.

22 comments:

  1. The colours of your blanket are gorgeous and the crochet hook is lovely, I've never seen anything like that before. That's so nice you are using up your yarn and donating the blankets to charity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a fabulous idea - I have a lot of bits of sock wool leftover and have knitted a few sock wool blankets but never crocheted any. It looks lovely. Possibly a bit mad to crochet in our heat currently though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, I noticed the crochet hook before I noticed the granny square. It's adorable! I take it the sunflowers and bees aren't uncomfortable as you use it? I'm sure your blankie will be well-loved by whoever gets it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the crochet hook is really comfortable to use, you don't really feel any of the design features on the handle when it's being used.

      Delete
  4. Your blanket will be lovely Jo, I'm going to be trying to use up some stash this year too, it does take up a lot of space storing things when they should be used. I hope working on your blanket will bring your crafting mojo back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hook is beautiful Jo and it's good it feels comfortable when you crochet with it too. Great idea to use up your stash in this way as blankets are always needed, it's a good way to use up leftover sock yarn too. I'm also making blanket squares at the moment but c2c. I will be changing to granny squares at some point, I need to gather all my bit's and pieces of yarn to see what I'm dealing with. Have a great week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do hope your crafting mojo returns because I enjoy your crafting posts. That crochet hook is beautiful, well done Eleanor. What size do you use to crochet two strands of yarn together? I like the marled effect too and a friend has given me her leftover bits of sock yarn so I think you may have inspired me. Take care, Jo. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using a 4mm hook, it seems to work okay for me when I'm using two strands of fingering or 4 ply together.

      Delete
  7. I am so impressed this is what you do without your craft 'mojo' - it is really pretty. Hope it does the job to reignite your enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you tried Tunisian crochet, it's simple to do, and looks brilliant when done, there are loads of video's on how to start. I made myself a warm lap blanket a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried Tunisian crochet, it isn't something I've ever had the inclination to have a go at. I think some things just grab you and others don't.

      Delete
  9. You'll have a blanket in no time! What a pretty crochet hook, I wondered whether the raised Sunflowers would feel a bit uncomfortable after a while but perhaps you just get used to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't really feel the sunflowers when you're using the hook. The polymer clay is very smooth and the pattern isn't raised so much that it would be uncomfortable.

      Delete
  10. Love the crochet hook. How cute is that. I have never heard of Tunisian crochet. Crocheting is one of the things I would still like to learn to do. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea using the two strands, does give a lovely effect. What a lovely gift of the hook, never seen one like that before. Great the blanket is getting your mojo going again, having a project like this is a nice way of crafting without the hassle of pattern following. Enjoy xcx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great way to use up you stash. I watch those two podcasts you mentioned and enjoy them also. I crocheted 7 shawls so far this winter by using Marlybird's one ball pattern. I also combined fingering and a few have sparkly bits in the yarn. They look quite pretty as does your combination.💖

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do hope you get some crafting mojo back again, because I know you are clever with your yarn. I'm loving what you are doing and a large granny square rug is a great way to spend evenings in front of TV. My stash buster crochet rug is finished & now I'll find someone to give it to, though probably closer to winter, as it won't be appreciated much in this heat. Today is supposed to reach about 33 degrees. YUCK!!!! Love the crochet hook too. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jo, what a lovely crochet hook you are using for the blanket. The blanket is great idea to get your mojo going again.
    also, thanks for the info about Wordle, I've been giving it a go every day too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That hook will definitely encourage you to keep on hooking!!!

    The blanket square is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here's to you getting your mojo back! The charity will be pleased with the blanket. Love that crochet hook.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do like your crochet hook with the sunflowers and bees, and I like your crochet too ... it's colourful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blanket is lovely, how generous of you to give the blanket to charity. I also love your crochet hook its delightful and easy to see, such a lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete