Wednesday 22 September 2021

He's A Flake

I started He's A Flake by Little House Needleworks at the beginning of last year and I actually had it finished quite quickly, or at least quickly for me, but it's been languishing in my craft room waiting to be made up into an ornament.

It's a lovely design which I stitched on 28 count Brittney Lugana. It has a few beads added, beading was something new for me to learn and it definitely adds to the finish. I found it a little bit fiddly but I hadn't done it before and it certainly wouldn't put me off using beads again.

I love the actual cross stitching but I'm not confident at finishing things off properly so I end up putting them to one side for months on end. This could have been made into a lovely ornament in plenty of time for last Christmas and I decided that if I didn't get a grip, it wouldn't be finished in time for this coming Christmas either. I will admit that I chickened out though and it's actually Mick who has done the finishing for me.

I think Mick's done a very good job. He's not the least bit crafty but didn't mind measuring, adjusting and glueing. I got the idea for this on the internet so popped into Poundland to see if they had any of these little wooden serving boards, they're ideal for crafts such as this.

I'm happy with how it's turned out, I just need to have a look at the Christmas decorations appearing in the shops and then I can find something to trim the borders up with. I think it will look very festive.

17 comments:

  1. It look fantastic, I always add a bit of silver thread on white snowflakes, it add just a bit extra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely idea for mounting crafts - clever you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jo
    That looks great - a perfect joint project! I like the serving board idea too.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fabulous, Jo. Well done you ... and Mick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh he looks lovely :-) It's very scary fully finishing your stitching isn't it? I'm still very nervous when I have to cut and measure anything in case I ruin my stitching altogether, but practice makes perfect as they say and you and Mick did a great job :-) Have you tried watching Vonna's finishing tutorials? She goes through everything step by step for lots of different finishing ideas, they are a very good resource and the first place I go to when I'm finishing anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've watched some of Vonna's tutorials. As you say, they're a great resource, I just with I had a little more confidence with these things.

      Delete
  6. This is delightful. I loathe doing the finishing and have a few also sitting in a drawer waiting for their day to finally get finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it Jo what a great idea, Micks done a great job. I'm still hoping to get my 12 days of Christmas sampler finished for this year, I started off with great intentions but haven't worked on it for two months! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely little picture. I hate sewing but have had the urge to try a little cross stitch picture.....just bought one today for £1.50, it looks reasonably easy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the design you've chosen and what a good idea to use a board with a hole at the top for an easy display. I wonder if you'll finish off your 12 days of Christmas in time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you and Mick did a beautiful job here.
    It looks great :)

    It's rather scary how near Christmas is, the grandchildren tell me it's less than 100 days away!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't do any of it so I am impressed !!!! THe beading is amazing! The scene is dar1ing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, that's so sweet! And I love the added beading. X

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is lovely, well done to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your snowman scene done in cross stitch makes me smile and I like the addition of the beads and the lovely way you've displayed the finished picture. You and Mick have done great work!

    ReplyDelete