Saturday 9 February 2019

A Planning Update

I've posted a few times previously about my Filofaxes, my most popular post being A Tour Of My Filofax Crimson Malden which I wrote back in 2014. I found a binder I love in my Malden and a planning system which works for me so little has really changed since then but I thought I'd do a little updated tour anyway.


I actually use two Filofaxes and I also have an A4 size journal so I'll show you around each of them.


My Malden is personal size and has been in constant use since 2013. I wrote about buying it in my It's Here post. As you can see, six years of constant use is now showing, it's more bashed about and worn in than in either of the two previous posts I've mentioned. I've used leather cleaner on it but it doesn't really lift the dirt, I don't know what else to try.


Inside the cover are slots for credit cards, though I don't keep any bank cards in here myself, I use these pockets for business cards, stickers, notes, etc.


The diary I use is a week on two pages. I always buy the lined version, it keeps my writing neat and tidy, though there wasn't much going on during that first week of the year. I use a Bic four colour pen and colour code my diary, black for general, red for appointments, green for holidays and blue for birthdays. I used to use a second pen with a further four colours when Daniel and Eleanor lived at home as I had more categories to keep track of but I've managed to streamline things since then.


These are the tabs in my Notes section. My To Do list consists of little things that I'd forget about if I didn't write down. I don't list everyday jobs, just the things which I don't ordinarily do. The same for Shopping, I don't write a shopping list but I keep a note here of anything out of the ordinary that I don't want to forget to pick up whilst I'm out. I also keep a note of things I've ordered that I'm waiting for here too. I don't speak to Daniel and Eleanor every day so I keep track of anything I want to ask or tell them when I do speak to them. I also keep some sticky notes in the Notes section, I use these a lot if I need to jot something down, they're really handy as I can lift them out and move them to other sections.


The Project section contains notes about my blog, I don't really plan posts but I jot down ideas here. I often set myself little challenges and keep track of those here.


The Information section is quite busy, there's everything here from holiday planning to information about holidays I've already taken, the books I've read this year and books I want to read, even a list of the charms which Eleanor's got on her Pandora bracelet so that I don't duplicate any.


I use a different planner for household finance so the Financials section is more about personal spending and Eleanor's student finance and accommodation fees as well as information about Archie's vets fees.


The A-Z Address section speaks for itself but I also keep lists of books in this A-Z section too. I have a list of all the books I've read during the current year in my notes section but I keep lists by author's name of all the books I've read since I started keeping a record back in 2012.


I have a clear pocket right at the very back where I used to keep coupons but I don't take my Filofax out and about with me any longer so I don't use this any more. There's two pockets in the back of the Filofax where I keep bits and bobs.

I've left out the personal information but you can get an idea of how I use this Filofax.


On to my Chameleon which is A5 size, I use this for household and financial information.


The credit card slots inside the front cover hold business cards from people who have done work on the house for us, it's good to have their numbers handy.


The first section is banking. I have a list of everything I need to pay each month, either by direct debit or an amount I put aside for things such as petrol, Christmas or housekeeping. I keep a running tally of what's coming in or going out of the bank accounts.


The next section is where I keep a note of which utility suppliers we're with, the deal we're on, when it ends, how much we're paying etc. I also keep notes here of household appliances we buy, the model numbers, how much they cost, where we bought them from and the date etc.

I also have a Christmas section in this Filofax where I keep my Christmas card and present list. I keep a record of what we've bought, when, who for and what it cost.


There's a credit card wallet at the back and a pad, though I don't use either of these.

Again, there's a lot of personal information in this Filofax so there isn't a lot I can show of this but it will give you some idea of how I use it.


I've been using an A4 notebook as my journal since 2006.


This book is undated so I write in it as and when the mood takes me but I've been reconsidering the way I journal just lately and have come to a decision. More on that at a later date.


Nikki from Notes of Life blog made this beautiful leather Traveller's Notebook for me last year. You can read all about it in my Traveller's Notebook post. I must confess that I still haven't started using it, I'm still considering the best way to add this into my current planning system.


I've got a Homecube which holds some of the pens and stationery I use.


It doesn't hold everything though, I could definitely do with more storage.


I hope you've enjoyed this little tour of my planner system. Tell me, do you use a planner? If so, what type of planner do you use?

36 comments:

  1. That's impressive Jo! You'll be appalled to hear that I don't have a planner. I use my online work calendar to note down when I am teaching etc. That's more for my line manager though, so she can see what I am up to (we work on different campuses). For everything else, the information is in my head. I often think I fancy a nice planner but I don't seem to be able to to actually use one :-) The last time I tried, I put everything in after the fact and I gave up after two months. Have a lovely weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never remember anything if I kept the information in my head, my memory seems to be getting steadily worse so I have to write things down otherwise I forget them. I think you do have to train yourself to use a planner, it's a case of trial and error to see what system works for you.

      Delete
  2. You are so organised I'm really impressed. I always have a large A 4 page a day diary and everything goes in there, if there are any special days I want to remember I list them by month in the note section in the back under the title memorable dates. I also have an A4 address book where I keep all my business information so I can find it alphabetically. I treat myself to an Amazon Echo at Christmas and I'm finding it very useful for lists, it all goes on your phone so it's handy for shopping. Have a great weekend. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of people like to use a large diary in the way you do. I find a ring binder, like a Filofax, works best for me as I can move information around in it.

      Delete
  3. I not only love being organized (even though I may not always succeed) but I enjoy seeing how other people stay organized! I used to use a planner but it was never as organized as yours - that's awesome! Over the years I transitioned to keeping track of most things on the computer as I tend to change things up a lot (which either gets very messy or you gave to keep re-writing sections). Even shopping lists are now on a "notes" app on my phone - this is a relatively recent thing. Since I always have my phone with me, it's super convenient and I no longer run into the situation where I forgo going to a store that I happen to be near because I don't have the list with me. I also allows me to "cross things off" as I'm shopping so that I'm only looking at what's left - I love that as I would often miss an item or two especially on longer hand written lists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same, I love seeing other people's set ups too. There's a great planning community, just like there are for other things, they share information on Instagram and there's some great videos on You Tube and the Philofaxy blog is brilliant too. I think many people now use phones or computers for planning, Mick has all his information on his phone, but I've always been a lover of stationery so I suppose that's why I've stayed with paper. Well, that and the fact that I'm a technophobe!

      Delete
  4. I have enjoyed it, you have everything you need at your fingertips, all nice and organised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the fact that I'm never hunting around for any information I require, I have everything to hand in my Filofax.

      Delete
  5. Have never seen such a complete display of "planners"!

    But wondering, where you keep all of them?

    I thought I was *neat* but I'm nowhere as neat as you are.

    I guess I keep "everything," on my mini wall calendar, next to the phone. Appointments, bills due, happenings, etc., etc. What I want a record of, for future looking. And for paying necessary things.

    Thank you for this tour, through your planning system.

    💙 💚 💛 💜
    Trying to see which 'heart' symbols, actually show up, in comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a drawer where I keep my journal and household planner, they're brought out as and when I require them but my personal planner is always at hand as I use it throughout the day. I have a very small collection of planners, there are others who have a whole library of them. I've never been able to get on with a wall calendar, though my parents wouldn't manage without theirs.

      Delete
  6. WOW...that's a lot of notes. No, I don't use a planner, or write a journal. I note some things on my calendars, but not much more than that. Hubby does the bills and everything is on a spread sheet plus he uses Quicken, so if we need to know how much we spent for something orwhen he can do a search on his computer. I do use the calendar on my phone as well as the one in the kitchen and one at my desk.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried to use a calendar in the past, especially when the kids were little and we were all doing things at different times, but I just couldn't keep track of things on there, a diary definitely works better for me. I've never used a spread sheet for my banking but I do keep track of my accounts to the penny.

      Delete
  7. Thanks again Jo in showing this type of post. I'm always fascinated by how people work in keeping order about things. I have a system, but not quite as neat & orderly as yours & it's basically all kept at hand in the study, though we have a calendar on the door to the garage from the kitchen so K knows what is going on for appointments & car club(giggle). I was just thinking that we both have banking backgrounds & is that why we keep lists? I've been trying to sort out how to keep a journal this year, but have been a bit stuck on how to do it, though I sort of know what I want to write about. Ah well, we'll see. Hope the weekend is going well & take care. Huggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these type of posts too. Mick keeps track of things on his phone but I don't get along with technology, though I love stationery anyway so I'd probably still go with a Filofax anyway. I'm not sure that my banking background encourages me to keep lists but it definitely instilled in me the importance of keeping track of my bank accounts. I've found it much easier to keep a journal since I started allowing myself to just sit down and write rather than thinking about it too much.

      Delete
  8. That is impressive!!! The only planning I do, if you can even call it that, I writing my work shifts on the calendar! I couldn't even begin to imagine what I would write or plan in a journal or Filofax. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some people are list makers and others aren't. I have to use something for planning these days as my memory is so bad, but I get enjoyment from using nice stationery too.

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness JO!!! You are so organized. it must really make your life easier! Maybe I should start one.....Im organized in hanging file folders mostly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a case of needs must these days, my memory is so bad. I've always enjoyed having everything organised and I love stationery so it's a win win situation.

      Delete
  10. Years ago a similar post of yours got me back into using my own Filofax, (thank yoU!) although I confess the habit did not stick. It is lovely to see how you are using yours - who knows, I might start up again :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a case of getting into the habit of using a Filofax and then, like anything, it becomes second nature. I'd be lost without mine, I have so much information in there.

      Delete
  11. I think you can get some wax (I think it's beeswax) to help protect leather, although I've not tried it myself.

    You're very organised! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need something to lift the dirt. I don't think it shows so much on these photos but it really is quite dirty. I like being organised, my life ends up in chaos otherwise.

      Delete
  12. Good post and pictures. I think this is far better than any electronic organiser for keeping well organised. I have to admit that I never did get round to using one and still use a notebook and bits of paper. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't know where to start with technology if I had to use it for planning, though I much prefer pen and paper anyway. My Filofax is only like a notebook and lots of bits of paper, but it's all kept together in one place.

      Delete
  13. I am so impressed, Jo, by how you stay organized. I keep a garden journal. I purchase a new one each year and write in it most days. I have a separate notebook for finances. All our appointments go on a large kitchen calendar and on my computer. I use sticky notes for everything else. But somehow I don't seem as organized as you are. Great posting! P.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound very organised. I used to have a garden journal when I had the allotment, it was very handy looking back when I wanted to know when a particular seed was sown or how long something had taken to grow. That's the great thing about keeping notes, about most things, you've always got the information you require to hand.

      Delete
  14. Goodness, you are organised and put me to shame! I have a diary and a piece of paper.....xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's whatever works for you. I used a diary for a long time but then I'd lose so much information when I jotted things down on bits of paper. Having a Filofax means that I can keep all my jottings together in one place.

      Delete
  15. You are very organised.
    I have an A4 diary that I use, plus additional notes if needed.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people use an A4 diary. It's big enough to be able to make lots of notes.

      Delete
  16. I don't know why I never ran across your blog before but I am here now! I am your newest follower and will put you on my sidebar so I don't miss any posts. Love your planners!!!! You do a great job! Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found a planning system which really works for me. Thank you for following, I shall pop over to your blog shortly.

      Delete
  17. Calendar and A4 diary here.
    You are very organised Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a case of having to be organised, I forget so much if I keep it in my head. A4 diaries seem to be very popular, I've used diaries in the past but never one so big.

      Delete
  18. This is very organised. I have a different notebook for each list I need. A diary to keep track of my work hours for invoicing, and to write memories in. A notebook for finances. Another for money spent on fundraising projects with a pocket at the back for receipts. One for blogging ideas and keeping track of capsule wardrobes and the number of times I wear each item (it's not as time consuming as it sounds). And one for my meal plan and shopping lists. I should just buy one big one and section it off but it works for me (and I have a huge stash of notebooks that need to be used up!).
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have lists and jottings all over the place but I love having everything all together in my Filofax now. It's whatever works best for you, everyone has different ways for keeping organised.

      Delete