Tuesday 12 February 2019

Out For A Walk

It was windy on Sunday but nowhere near as windy as it had been on Saturday so we got wrapped up and took Archie for a good walk at Lotherton. The sun kept trying to put in an appearance, but so did the rain, though there were only a few spits.


The hall itself is closed during January and February for cleaning but they still offer guided tours. We only go inside if we don't have Archie with us, so that isn't very often.


This little chapel dates back to the 1100's and services are still held there.


Dogs must be kept on leads in some parts of the estate so we always have a walk through the woods so that Archie can have a good wander and sniff about without being confined. It's nice for him to have a bit of freedom, he's always good and never tries to run off.


It's quite muddy at the moment so we kept mainly to the paths. The wild garlic is just starting to poke through the ground and when I accidentally stood on a shoot the pungent scent filled the air.


There's lots of moss covering fallen trees, I think they look attractive. When you look at moss really closely it's like looking at a miniature world.


Someone's been den building. I remember building dens myself when I was a child. We had a small common at the bottom of the street where I grew up and I'd spend hours there with friends. We had lots of fun making dens, climbing trees and playing hide and seek.


Can you see the face on this tree? A leftover from Halloween I believe. There was the outline of a bat on another tree.


There's lots of leaf litter covering the floor. Archie loves to run through fallen leaves, I think he enjoys the noise they make.


This garden is known as the William and Mary garden. It has a sunken pond which is a favourite with children, especially at frogspawn time as it usually fills up with tadpoles. There's a door right at the end of the wall which leads through into what used to be the kitchen garden.


There were quite a few people about on Sunday, particularly in the children's playground. The weather can keep families indoors during the winter months but a whiff of anything close to a fine day brings them out so that children can let off steam and adults can breathe in some fresh air.


We're lucky to have a choice of places close by where we can exercise Archie and enjoy our surroundings. Lotherton is a great place to visit during summer but there's plenty to see and do there during the winter months too.

26 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place to go for a walk. We have Lytham Hall nearby. We've been a few times, but I've never had my camera with me. Next time we go I'll take it and take photos and do a post about it. There's a lot of interesting history in our little toen, so I really must share some of it. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like visiting places like this, there's always something to see whatever the weather. We're lucky that we have lots of lovely places nearby where we can take Archie for a walk, we're spoilt for choice.

      Delete
  2. A most enjoyable post and lovely pictures. It's good to visit somewhere like that at this time of year. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always something to see whatever time of year we visit and it's so well kept.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely area, to have near by! Of course you make use of it. :-)

    Oh I love moss!!!!!!!!! That photo is gorgeous.

    💗💙💚💛💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have an annual pass to Lotherton Hall so it's somewhere we go on a regular basis, plus Archie loves it there. Moss is so tactile, I always want to stroke my hand against it and it looks so pretty.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely place to go. The old chapel looked interesting I would love to have a peep in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that the old chapel is still in regular use. I showed some photos of the inside here:- http://jo-throughthekeyhole.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-date-at-lotherton-hall.html

      Delete
  5. Lovely post Jo, & you can see a glimmer of Spring in the air. Maybe Lotherton should be added to my ever-growing list of walks/places to visit? It is nice to be able to breathe fresh air anytime of the year. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd enjoy Lotherton, especially the hall and the animals in Wildlife World. Definitely add it to your list.

      Delete
  6. A quaint little church, how lovely they still have services there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that a service is held in the chapel once a month, it's nice that it's still in use.

      Delete
  7. Its so nice to see green. As you know, We got hit with 7 more inches of wisconsin border snow. Chicago only got an inch of slush but now the winds howl to 50 mph. tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always pleased to see signs of spring, though we haven't had a bad winter this year. We did have those winds though last week, my greenhouse is only half glazed now.

      Delete
  8. what a beautiful place for a walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love it at Lotherton, we're so lucky to live close by.

      Delete
  9. I so agree with you about the moss - we went on a hike in B.C. this past summer and I was just fascinated by all the different forms of moss we encountered. Mosses that look the same from a distance are actually very different when examined up close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you notice the difference when you take macro photos. It's amazing what shows up through a lens.

      Delete
  10. Hi,great pics and interesting read.By the way,I joined Ravelry and after what seemed like days lol,think I found the pattern for baby cardy.Thanks for sharing yours.If I get round to knitting it I will post.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ravelry is a great place to find patterns, it takes a little getting used to when you first join but you soon find your way around. Do let me know if you decide to knit the baby cardigan.

      Delete
  11. What a lovely place for a walk, it won'tube long before it's full of colour too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely place to walk throughout the year but even more lovely when there's splashes of colour here and there.

      Delete
  12. This looks such a lovely place to go for a walk.
    I really enjoyed seeing your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a place we visit over and over again, we love it there.

      Delete
  13. It looks like a really lovely place visit, inside and outside.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love it at Lotherton, in fact, we've been there again today. It's a great place to walk Archie.

      Delete