Monday 10 October 2022

Tess Of The D'Urbervilles

I've heard Tess of the D'Urbervilles, by Thomas Hardy, mentioned many times. It has some wonderful reviews so I was really interested to read it for myself.

"With its sensitive depiction of a wronged 'pure woman' and its powerful criticism of Victorian sexual hypocrisy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles shocked readers on publication.

Its heroine is a poor country girl, Tess, whose encounter with her distant aristocratic relatives - especially the handsome, cruel Alec - leaves her broken and haunted by a secret that could ruin her. A very different man, Angel Clare, offers her salvation, but Tess must choose whether to reveal her past, or remain silent in the hope of a peaceful future."


I actually read another novel by Thomas Hardy, Far From The Madding Crowd, earlier this year. My first experience upon reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles was exactly the same as it was with Far From the Madding Crowd, I found it hard going. This time, however, it didn't improve half way though as it had done last time. I just don't think that I'm ever going to be a fan of Thomas Hardy. It does make me wonder what he actually thought of women as the main characters in each of these books have really annoyed me. Tess is portrayed as a poor helpless girl who can't think for herself and every decision she makes, much like Bathsheba in Far From the Madding Crowd, is the wrong one. 

Much is made of Thomas Hardy's writing style, you can certainly tell that he's a poet by the descriptive scenes in his books, but for me, it's all just too flowery. He goes into far too much detail to the point of being boring.

As I've already said, I just don't think that Thomas Hardy is for me, but who knows, perhaps I'll give him another go at some point in the future.

10 comments:

  1. Have you tried 'Under the Greenwood Tree'? It is a much lighter story and no-one dies! I had to study it for O level or A level, I forget which, but I did enjoy it.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Under the Greenwood Tree. That's one I may try at a later date.

      Delete
  2. Honestly, until today, I thought it was Tess of the DOObervilles not the Durbervilles. I have no idea why I thought that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read any Thomas Hardy and I think if it's hard going I won't ever be tempted to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read lots of Thomas Hardy including both of the books you have tried. I was a teenager when I read them and loved them all but I expect I had a very different perspective on life then! We won't like everything we read, like you say maybe Hardy is not an author for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think with books there are some writers you like and others you don't!
    Full marks for trying though Jo and sharing your views.

    Enjoy your week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've certainly heard of Thomas Hardy & his writings, but never read any. Not sure Id enjoy them either. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never got on with his books either, several of which I read many years ago. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure about TH either. Studied at O level if I remember rightly. I am thinking of revisiting DH Lawrence sometime though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've read any Thomas Hardy novels. I do think that some books that are on lists of books everyone should read make for hard going sometimes.

    ReplyDelete