Saturday 22 October 2022

Temple Newsam Home Farm

Following on from Temple Newsam Centenary Celebrations, included in our 6p admission fee was entrance to Temple Newsam Home Farm. I don't have to be told more than once that I can go and see some animals.

After Leeds City Council purchased Temple Newsam back in 1922, work soon began on creating a state of the art milking parlour at the Home Farm site with the aim of supplying tuberculin free milk to the schools and hospitals of Leeds. By the 1930s, a herd of pedigree shorthorns were producing 70,000 gallons of milk a year. Leeds City Council continued to operate this dairy until 1968. A decade later, in 1978, Home Farm opened its gates as a visitor attraction and has since been recognised as being one of the largest rare breeds centres in Europe. The Vaynol is a unique population of cattle. The herd was established in 1872 in Vaynol Park, North Wales, adjacent to the Isle of Anglesey. It was maintained there as a semi-feral herd until 1980 when it was moved to a series of locations in England. It has never existed in large numbers. The main herd now resides at Temple Newsam and a small subsidiary herd has been recently established in Lincolnshire as a precaution against disease outbreak.

There were quite a few animals to see in the farmyard and farm buildings. One of the barns houses guinea pigs alongside traditional farm animals.

Cute goats, more intent on eating than posing for photos.

More cute goats. They'd found a spot of sunshine and were taking a rest.

The pigs are my favourite bit of any farm. This is Mabel, a Saddleback.

We then went further afield into the paddocks where we saw more sheep.

There were more goats too.

Some were happy to stay by their shelter.

Just look at the apples on this tree. I wonder if they get fed to the animals.

The highlight of my day was seeing this lovely mummy pig and her piglets.

The piglets were running around playing with each other, and they kept coming over to the fence wanting us to scratch their backs. They even laid down for a tummy tickle. They were just like puppies.

This piglet is trying to eat a twig. They kept us entertained for ages.

Of course, a visit to Temple Newsam Farm wouldn't be complete without a visit to the donkeys, such gentle souls.

They weren't very interested in us on this occasion though, I didn't even get to stroke either of them.

Why is it that goats have to climb? Hmmm, no table manners!

What a lovely day out we had.

12 comments:

  1. The animals look as if they are having a whale of a time, I love the pigs as well. I'm not sure what Archie would say if you decided to bring one home though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is just wonderful!!!! What a beautiful time spent with beautiful animals. And piglets! I also had to pause a moment, when you said admission was 6p. I was thinking "six pence? That's it?" and then I realized you probably mean 6 pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aaaw 3 little pigs! So cute! Looks like a fun day out,
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, thank you. You know that I'd love this post for a number of reasons & it didn't disappoint. Donkeys & goats especially, but I enjoyed the story about Temple Newsam farm too & will have to see if DH knows some of that. Must show an old photo one day of the goat we had back in the 80's. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely visit to the farm.
    I did enjoy seeing your photographs.
    The piglets are so cute and I enjoyed seeing the donkeys.

    There is an interesting article 'How Goats Can Climb Almost Anything' you may like to read. Find it here
    https://savvyfarmlife.com/how-goats-can-climb/

    Happy weekend wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a lovely day out. The piglets are really cute, when I last took Arty to the farm they were his favourites, we had to keep going back to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are all very sweet. I love the piglets. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww what a great day out you had. I would have made a beeline to see the animals. Thanks for sharing your photos, I enjoyed seeing them all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The animals all look happy and healthy in the sunshine! I'd be down on my hands and knees tickling piglet tummies! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. A most enjoyable post and lovely pictures. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, now I want to visit, what an amazing place. Wonderful, thank you so much for sharing Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mabel and the rest of the pigs and piglets are fabulous. I think they are my favourite too x

    ReplyDelete