Saturday 5 March 2022

Little Women

I don't often reread books, there's only a handful which I've read more than once, but as Daniel and Jasmine bought me a beautiful copy of Little Women as part of my Christmas present, there's no way I couldn't read this lovely story again.

"Meg, Jo, Amy and Beth - four 'little women' enduring hardships and enjoying adventures in Civil War New England. The charming story of the March sisters, Little Women has been adored by generations. Readers have rooted for Laurie in his pursuit of Jo's hand, cried over little Beth's death, and dreamed of traveling through Europe with old Aunt March and Amy. Future writers have found inspiration in Jo's devotion to her writing. In this simple, enthralling tale, both parts of which are included here, Louisa May Alcott has created four of American literature's most beloved women."


If I hadn't had this book bought as a gift I doubt I would have read it for a second time, but I'm so glad I did as I enjoyed it so much more this time round than I did last time. I sometimes find that you need to read or watch something more than once to get a true feel for it and this was definitely the case for me with Little Women.

Four totally different personalities, I'm sure we can all identify with one of the March sisters, and this is one of the fun things about this story. From hot-headed Jo to sweet reserved Beth, dutiful Meg and ambitious Amy, the novel was loosely based on the lives of the author and her three sisters from childhood to adulthood. Such an enjoyable novel which I would wholeheartedly recommend.

18 comments:

  1. I re-read books all the time. My mum never could understand why I'd want to read something I've already read but it's one of my favourite things to do! I confess I've never read Little Women. I remember my sister read it when we were young and she told me "Beth dies" so I decided there and then I wasn't going to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I normally don't reread books, so far I have only read 1984 twice, I read it a school and reread it a couple of years ago, just to see an adult view of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Little Women when I was young and remember really enjoying it. I haven't read it as an adult but I think I would like to now you have mentioned it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've ever read a book twice, except when I was a little girl. But after recently really enjoying Mariella Frostrup's 4 part series on female writers and their landscapes.I'm about to embark on reading some missed classics. Frenchman's Creek is the first on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this story, I have seen it many times but maybe only read it once, I would definitely read it again. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this many times as a young and older reader. I love the others too. Good Wives and Jo’s Boys. I still have them on my shelf. Deans Classics from the 1960’s. A timeless read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I've never read Little Women. Perhaps it's time that I did. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved all 3 books about the girls & did reread Little Women & Good Wives when younger, but that was a long time ago. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I too would enjoy re-reading this book as an adult. I have every intention of reading it to my daughter sometime soon and I know that I will enjoy it for a second time then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember reading this when I was maybe 10 or 11 and I liked it then but I don't think I would read it again now, although I do sometimes re-read books I've really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was a very thoughtful gift and so good you enjoyed rereading the story. I've reread books if I really enjoyed reading it the first time round.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read Little Women as a child, I probably should read it again as an adult as I'm sure I'd get a lot more out of it. Your edition has a beautiful cover.
    I've just restarted my blog at emeraldcottage.blogspot.co.uk , would be lovely to see you over there :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've reread a lot of books over the past couple of years, mainly as my insomnia has got worse again, and I've enjoyed most of them. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello ♡
    You have a wonderful, very inspiring blog! Unfortunately, I have not read this book but I have heard a lot about it. Great review!
    It would be great to stay in touch. Maybe you would agree to follow for follow on our blogs?
    Regards nice and warm from Poland ♡
    Klaudia Zuberska

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do sometimes re-read books.
    This was a lovely gift and a good book to re-read :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've always loved Little Women but haven't reread it for ages. Your book looks really smart. There seems to be a couple of days delay before your posts are popping up in my blog list at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely gift, must admit I have never read the book, I found a copy on Amazon for the kindle, just trying to get into it lol xcx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, such a wonderful read. I've read it several times.xxx

    ReplyDelete