Tuesday 3 March 2020

The Librarian Of Auschwitz

I read The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris last year, it was such a good book. I sometimes find that when one book about a particular subject is on the bestsellers list, a whole host of other books along a similar theme start to appear. When I first saw The Librarian of Auschwitz on the bookshelf in the supermarket I thought I'd give it a miss, but Mick bought me it, along with some other books, for Christmas and I'm so pleased that he did, it's one of the best books I've read for a very long time.


The Librarian of Auschwitz by Antonio Iturbe is based on the true story of Dita Kraus.

'It wasn't an extensive library. In fact, it consisted of eight books...But they were books. In this incredibly dark place, they were a reminder of less sombre times, when words rang out more loudly than machine guns...'

'Fourteen-year-old Dita is one of the many imprisoned by the Nazis at Auschwitz-Birkenau. But Dita becomes the secret librarian of the camp, tasked with taking charge of the small collection of precious books the prisoners have managed to smuggle past the guards.

But books are extremely dangerous. They make people think. And nowhere are they more dangerous than in Block 31 of Auschwitz, where the slightest transgression can result in execution, no matter how young the transgressor...'

As I said before, I thought The Tattooist of Auschwitz was a good book, but in my opinion this was even better. Be warned, it pulls no punches, it's extremely graphic in places, and terribly sad, but well worth reading.


19 comments:

  1. I think the power of this story is it's about a teenage girl not an adult, I enjoyed the power of the story. I have just got The story of Anne Frank, I read it as a teenager and want to read it again, but not just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how we are all different when it comes to books. I read the tattooist and loved it but just couldn't get on with this one, possible just not in the mood, lol Glad that you enjoyed it though.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure I could read anymore books about Auschwitz. I have found it really hard to since visiting the place on a work trip about thirteen years ago, I have also find it hard to read books about subjects like this since becoming a mother. I cannot bear it because I know it is true, I cannot comprehend how one human being can do that to another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read either TTOA or this one, my reading has been really off lately, I'm finding it hard to get interested in anything at the moment. Perhaps I should read these, it's something that interest me, we visited both Auschwitz and Birkenau some years ago, it's so hard to comprehend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen both books a lot in charity shops, and now I want to read them both! But, I mustn't buy anymore books until my to-be-read pile is a tad smaller.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the 2 book recommendations! I have placed them on my list and checked to make sure my library has them. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is on my must read list. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know, I could not read, either book. But that's just me. I am happy you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I will certainly look out for this. I read The Tattooist of Auschwitz and thought it was a fantastic, although heartbreaking read.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This ones in the library, I have read TTOA and enjoyed, if that's the right word the way Heather Morris wrote it. Will you read Cilka's story by her too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably will read Cilka's Story at some point. These books are heartbreaking but they're a really good read.

      Delete
  11. Pleased you enjoyed this book, many thanks for the recommendation.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know someone who may really want to read this

    ReplyDelete
  13. I must read both of those books, they never seem to be in the library so must be really popular.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh fabulous! This was an impulse buy at the bookshop this afternoon (envy the British supermarket books prices! I've jsut paid UK 10 pounds for my copy!), so glad to hear you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As I've aged I have become more "soppy" so I know I would not be able to read these books. I admire those who can though.💖

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've got this one on my Kindle, but haven't read it yet (I've been a bit slow with reading so far this year).

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm giving books about the Holocaust a miss for a while, Jo. They are just too heartbreaking. I'll put it on my list for later though. Good review. P. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. One of the members of our library book group has recommended The Tatooist of Auschwitz and our library leader was hoping to get a set for a group read. Although I haven't been able to get to my group I hope that I haven't missed out as I think it would be a good opportunity to read and share our thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete