Wednesday 13 March 2024

Baby Knitting

Now that I've told you about the new family member we're looking forward to meeting in a few months time I can show you a few things which I've been knitting.

These three little cardigans were actually knit last year. We were expecting to become grandparents before Christmas, however, that wasn't to be. Sadly, Eleanor and Jacob discovered at a routine scan that the baby had no heartbeat. After twenty four weeks it would be classed as a stillbirth but as the baby hadn't reached that age, it's actually called a missed miscarriage, a term I'd never heard before. There was no outward signs of a miscarriage, the baby's heart had just stopped beating.

As you can imagine, it was a sad and traumatic time for us all, but especially Eleanor and Jacob, and I don't think it's something they'll ever get over. This second pregnancy has been fraught with worry after what happened last time, plus the fact that Eleanor's had hyperemesis gravidarum, or severe sickness.

Anyway, on to the knitting.

This is the Baby Aosta Cardigan by The Knit Purl Girl and this is my favourite of all the little baby cardigans I've knit so far.

It's knit in Andalusian stitch in Sirdar Snuggly DK in the shade Twinkle Toes, isn't that a great name for a colourway. I love these little wooden buttons I've used. I've started buying my buttons from the local market, they're so much cheaper than places like Hobbycraft, and they have a much better choice too.

The rib is cast off using a tubular bind off and the button band is cast off purlwise, which I can't remember ever doing before. It does give it a lovely neat finish.

Another one I really like is the Biscotti Baby Cardigan by Lilia Vanini. I knit the first size. The pattern is written for a sport weight yarn but again, I used Sirdar Snuggly DK. I knew the gauge would be wrong but it just means that it's come out in a larger size, which is fine as it will be perfect for the winter months when baby will be older.

This colourway is Treasure, another great name. The raglan on this little cardigan is different from the norm and makes a lovely feature.

I can't say that cables are my favourite things to knit but I do like the effect they give. I started this cardigan and then realised that the cables on each front go the same way, I'd have liked them to be mirrored, but I didn't want to start ripping back to start over. When looking at this designers patterns at a later date, I realised that she actually has the exact same pattern but written in a way in which the cables are mirrored. It will teach me to look more closely at a pattern before I start in future, and also to look at the designers full range of patterns too. I'm happy with it overall though.

This one is the Oh Baby! Cardigan by Roberta Rich and it's one which I've knit before. It's a quick, simple knit and perfect for an everyday baby cardigan. Again, knit in Sirdar Snuggly DK, this is the Rice Pudding colourway.

Aren't these little bear buttons the cutest. They finish off this cardigan perfectly. I bought these from Spring Into Wool, a yarn show held at Leeds Grammar School, last year.

I'll leave it there for this post but there's more baby knits, and crochet, to come!

17 comments:

  1. They are lovely knits and will make your baby snuggly and warm, how exciting for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh aren't they all gorgeous, you have been busy, I love all the colours and patterns especially the Biscotti and Treasure is just the right colour for it. I was sorry to hear about Eleanor's miscarriage, It's not something to get over and must have made this pregnancy so anxious. Just the other day I heard on the radio, I think it was Womens Hour that you could apply for a miscarriage certificate to acknowledge the baby, maybe that would be of help. I'm not too sure of the details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How traumatic for everyone. I do hope that all goes well. It must be a worry, particularly with the severe sickness, which must be debilitating.
    The little cardigans are so lovely.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely it is to knit baby clothes. I love the bear buttons.
    Poor Eleanor and Jacob - what a horrible experience for them, so this rainbow baby will be extra precious. I hope Eleanor gets over her hyperemesis gravidarum soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All 3 sweaters are cute, but believe I like that last one the best because of it's simplicity, but like the color of the first one the best, and the buttons on the last one the best, lol. Toes and fingers crossed all goes well this time, so sorry to hear about the first one not going well. Like you, I've not heard the term mis-miss-carriage before.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow I missed the post where you announced the baby and congratulations! Here's hoping for a healthy outcome! That baby is certainly lucky to have such a beautiful wardrobe! And those buttons are perfection!

    Can I put more exclamation points in this post? I think I can!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are all very sweet cardigans Jo, I love the wooden buttons. Exciting times, I do hope that Eleanor feels better soon bless her.
    Thankfully I didn't have lots of sickness, I remember having a bag of broken Jacobs crackers in my pocket and ginger covered in yoghurt. All the best, take care Cx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute knits and I love the colours. Best wishes to Eleanor and Jacob for the rest of the pregnancy and baby's birth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are simply adorable. You must be so excited. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heavenly Father, I would pray that you would bless this child you are knitting in the womb right now. Please give an extra measure of health to both mother and child. In Jesus name I pray. These are beautiful sweaters Jo. What a blessing you are to your children and grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was sorry to read about Eleanor's miscarriage, such a horrible experience for her and Jacob and indeed the family. So pleased that this pregnancy seems to be progressing well.

    I do like the knits you've shared here and those little bear buttons are so cute.

    My good wishes to you all.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. These baby cardigans are darling, and I loved all the buttons but especially loved those little bear buttons. So sorry to read about Eleanor and Jacob’s sad loss. I will be thinking about you all and wish only joy and many good things to come.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What adorable baby knits, I wish I had someone to make items for but no one in my family or friends are having children. So sorry to read of Eleanor and Jacob’s loss.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, beautiful knitting and aren't those teddy bear buttons so cute.. I'm sure the new parents will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw I'm so sorry to hear about the missed miscarriage so very sad. I love those cute cardigans, my daughters in law don't want me to make anything for their babies which I find quite sad. I'm thinking of making them something anyway for next winter, there's nothing more heartwarming than making things for your grandchildren. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. All of the baby knitting looks amazing and will be perfect for the new baby. I'm sorry to hear about Eleanor's miscarriage last year but wish them every good wish for the safe arrival and health of this new baby. I hope that Eleanor's sickness ends soon too. Have a good week x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sorry to hear about Eleanor's miscarriage. May this pregnancy progress well. I'm thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete