Sunday 13 February 2022

Engaging With Nature

It was so cold on Friday morning, there was a frost and all I wanted to do was hunker down for the day. I had no intention of leaving the house, but it seemed to warm up as the day wore on and in the afternoon we decided to don our coats and venture out to Lotherton for a walk.

I'm always pleased when I make the effort to get outdoors, I may not feel like going for a walk but it does me the world of good, especially when I see nature starting to wake up all around me.

It won't be long before these daffodils are blooming. Although I've filled my vases with cut stems bought from the supermarket, I haven't seen any daffodils flowering outdoors yet.

The snowdrops have been blooming for a while. There's some good clumps at Lotherton but the few I have in my own garden were there when we moved into the house over twenty eight years ago. They've never spread and though I've tried to introduce more to the garden, they've never taken, so I count myself lucky that I have the few that I do.

The trees are starting to bud. It's a little early for although we've had a mild winter so far, I don't think we're done with the cold weather. February is renowned for being a cold month and it wouldn't be a surprise if there's snow yet to come.

There's lots of mossy logs at Lotherton, they must be a haven for all sorts of wildlife. I can never resist getting my camera up close, it's like a world in miniature when you take a close up shot.

Archie always enjoys his walks at Lotherton, there's lots of lovely smells for him to investigate and lots of other people walk their dogs there for him to pass the time of day with.

I'm no expert where fungi is concerned, there's so many different types and I don't know their names, but I find them fascinating. We always see lots of different varieties when walking through the woods.

We've had some quite blustery weather just lately, so much so that I fear some poor birds have been made homeless. Not only did we find this small nest on the muddy ground but not far away we also saw one of the nesting boxes which had previously been nailed to a tree.

There have always been pathways through the woods at Lotherton but last year, hardcore was laid over them which makes walking in the muddy weather much easier. It's nice to go home with shoes which don't need washing.

Just look at the gnarled trunk of this tree. It's much easier to see the shapes, outlines and features of trees when they're bare, without their usual covering of leaves. There's some wonderful textures to be found.

I'll leave you with a photo of Archie enjoying his walk. We're so lucky to have lots of different places to take him nearby. He's happy wherever we go but I think Lotherton is his favourite place of all.

20 comments:

  1. Archie looks quite at home there, it looks like a lovely place to walk, it seems ages since I got out for a good walk in the woods seeing all the first signs of growth really lightens the spirits. I have a few snowdrops in pots but as yet there's no sign of them this year. Have a lovely Sunday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Archie. Such a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't have many wooded area's close to us, we have to drive to any spots. We do love to walk to our shore and Portchester Castle, the weather and season makes every walk different. Our castle to on TV tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our daffodils here at the cottage are still at the bud stage but yesterday on higher ground than us I saw daffodils in full bloom - in Scotland as well - but we are on the gulf stream here, not that you would have known that yesterday it was freezing. The fungi looks like little steps up the tree trunk! Archie is a real cutie - I bet he thought it was a real treat to have all that woodland to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try planting snowdrops in the green. They tend not to grow well from dried bulbs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was nice going along on your walk with Archie, I love to see him enjoying himself. I've seen some snowdrops and daffodils ready to bloom, a sure sign Spring isn't too far away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, Archie. He makes my heart smile! 🐶 💕

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post and pictures. I find fungi, lichen and mosses fascinating but know very little about them.
    I'm not surprised that's Archie's favourite place. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely walk Jo, even in the middle of winter. Nice to see Lotherton in a different season to when I saw it some years back & you know how much I love trees & all the gnarliness & quirks. Oh Archie, sending you virtual pats from afar.
    Thanks for sharing, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely place for a walk. The snowdrops are lovely when they are in clumps aren't they. I moved some snowdrops a few years ago and like yours they didn't flower, after a couple of years they did so I am not sure what was going on there! I am looking forward to the daffodils flowering that always feels like the beginning of the Spring to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Archie!!! What a sweetie. Beautiful photos; I love a good walk in the woods. All our snow has been melting, so everything is sloppy and gross out- or, at least it was when we walked on Friday. The temps plummeted to far below freezing this weekend, so everything is icy right now, and too dangerous to walk. The snow should melt completely in the next few days, only for us to get more on Thursday, haha! No worries, though, summer will be here soon enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely walk! The new surface of the path looks very inviting and as you say, great when it's wet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty outdoor images. It is a11 snow here......some grass poking through. I have never heard of hard core. What a great concept

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always like the photos of your walks at Lotherton, it looks an interesting place and it's good to know that Archie enjoys going there :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always enjoy it when you share photos of your walks and I think I have to agree with Archie. Lotherton is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a delightful walk. So lovely seeing these early signs of Spring. I always feel better after having made the effort to go out.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awww Archie is so sweet :)

    You did have a lovely walk, I enjoyed seeing your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. I enjoyed this virtual walk with you at Lotherton, Jo. I'm longing for some spring blooms right now. Of course, nothing here yet but snow and ice. But I agree with you, that I feel so much better after a walk outside. P.x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lotherton looks inviting. We have a walk along the river but without the winding through the woods. You're right, getting out of the house, breathing in fresh air and giving Archie the pleasure of a walk does wonders for our emotional well being.💖

    ReplyDelete
  20. I enjoyed your photos 😊. I love moss too

    ReplyDelete