Thursday 29 January 2015

Challenge Update - January 2015

My 2015 challenges are:-

1. Read one book each month.
1a. Read Agatha Christie books in chronological order.
2. Watch films from IMDb's top 100 movies of all time.
3. Support charities.


I've definitely started my challenges well this year, January's been a very good month.

 
I received a Kindle for Christmas and the first book I downloaded on to it was A Nightingale Christmas Wish by Donna Douglas. You may remember that I've read books from the Nightingale series before. The books are set in an East End hospital in the 1930's and follow the careers and lives of various girls as they come to train and work at the Florence Nightingale Teaching Hospital. This latest book was just as good as the others I've read and I'm now looking forward to the next in the series to be released.


A book I've been wanting to read since its release is The Yorkshire Shepherdess by Amanda Owen. Amanda was featured on The Dales, a documentary hosted by Adrian Edmondson about the Yorkshire Dales. Amanda lives and works on a remote hill farm and as well as tending to her flock, she has seven children. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down.



The first of Agatha Christie's books is The Mysterious Affair At Styles. This is the book which introduces us to Hercule Poirot, the eccentric Belgian detective. Agatha Christie is so good at keeping the reader guessing the whole way through the book, I must have changed my mind at least three times who I thought the murderer was before it being revealed at the end.


When I chose my challenges for this year, I had the intention of watching every film from IMDb's top 100 movies of all time. Flighty from Flighty's Plot left me a comment on my 2015 Challenges post saying that if he was doing this challenge, it would be to watch films from the list rather than all of them as there's some films he wouldn't want to watch. I have to agree with him to a point. When I've thought about it, there will be some films which I suppose I just won't be able to find, but I do want to watch as many films as I can, even if I don't particularly fancy them as I'm sure there'll be many which I don't think will be to my taste which I would probably enjoy if I gave them a chance.

When I counted up, I realised that I've already seen sixteen of the films on the list, however, I shall watch them again as part of this challenge. I made a good start this month watching eight films.

I was quite looking forward to watching Taxi Driver. I like both Robert De Niro and Jodie Foster, two good actors, but wow, what a rubbish film. This is number 76 on the list, it wouldn't make my top 1000 never mind 100. Sorry but it's too arty for me.

The Silence of the Lambs is a film I've seen before, in fact, I saw it with Mick on our first wedding anniversary, how romantic! It's a film I could watch, and have watched, over and over again. Brilliant performances by Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster. This would definitely make my top 100 list.

I read To Kill a Mockingbird at school and reread it just last year. It's a brilliant book and a fabulous film. I'd seen it before but I enjoyed it just the same. The book would definitely make my top 100, I think the film probably would too.

I've never fancied The Lord of the Rings trilogy, I'm not in to fantasy, but to be honest, I was quite looking forward to watching the films as part of this challenge to see what all the fuss was about. That's over nine hours of my life I'll never get back! I thought The Fellowship of the Ring started off well and I thought I might actually enjoy the films but it was just too long and drawn out. The Two Towers seemed to go on even longer, it could have been condensed in to half an hour for me, but The Return of the King did actually have a conclusion, though again, the film could have been shorter. These three films wouldn't make my top 100, but I can see that anyone who enjoys this genre would enjoy them.

Once Upon a Time in the West isn't a film I'd choose to watch myself. Though I grew up in a house where westerns were regularly watched as I had a dad and a brother who couldn't get enough of them, they aren't the type of film I particularly enjoy. Still, I found this to be watchable, it had a good story to it and it kept me interested. It wouldn't make my top 100 but it was ok.

The last film I've watched this month is Se7en. I've seen this film before yet the only bit I could remember was the very end, which actually spoils the film if you know it beforehand. It wouldn't make my top 100 but 128 minutes of Brad Pitt is definitely worth watching. Actually, it's worth watching even if you don't like Brad Pitt.



I've supported four different charities this month. Firstly, I've set up a regular standing order. Charities like regular donations as it allows them to plan ahead based on revenue. The charity I've decided to support this year is Candlelighters which is a childhood cancer charity in Yorkshire. Having had cancer myself, lost a sister to cancer, had my mum battle cancer and now my dad has cancer you can see why cancer charities are close to my heart. When I was undergoing treatment myself, the childrens treatment room was right next to the waiting room I had to use and it broke my heart to listen to the cries as those children were having to endure treatment for this terrible disease. Candlelighters was formed over forty years ago to help children and their families at a terrible time in their lives. Regular donations don't have to be large, charities are happy with any donation, no matter how small. Don't forget to tick that you want to gift aid your donation, this is a scheme where the charity is able to reclaim tax on a donation made by a UK taxpayer, increasing the amount of the donation with no extra cost to yourself. As I don't work and therefore don't pay tax, my monthly donation has been set up in Mick's name to take advantage of gift aid.


I've been having a bit of a clear out this month so I took this lot to the charity shop. Martin House is a local children's hospice and the charity shop I usually take my donations to supports it.


Sometimes there are things which aren't suitable to take to a charity shop, for instance, this pile of socks which Mick cleared out of his drawer this month. They'd seen better days so I asked him to drop them off at the local Bag It Up clothing bank. Bag It Up collects and recycles unwanted donations to markets in the UK and overseas and this generates vital funds for charity. 'End of life' garments are recycled in to industrial wipers and cloths, mattress filling, insulation and new fibres. Our local recycling bank supports the Yorkshire Air Ambulance but different banks support different charities. There's a bank locator on the website if you have any textiles which have seen better days.


My Christmas cards were dropped off at Marks & Spencer who were working with The Woodland Trust and running a recycling scheme. For every 1000 cards collected in their recycling bins, a tree would be planted. It's good to know that the cards I received this year will go some way to getting a new tree planted.

It's been a busy month where my challenges are concerned. I'm sure the film watching and book reading rate will drop once the better weather is here so I'm making the most of the dark nights and cold weather at the moment and hunkering down with a book or the tv to watch a film whilst I've got the opportunity to do so.

I'm weather watching today. There was a thin layer of snow on the ground when I went to bed last night. I woke up at about 4am and looked out of the window and it had gone, but it must have snowed again before I got up as there was a little more than a smattering making everywhere white again. We've had a few flurries this morning and we're forecast more later on today, though I don't think it will amount to much.

I hope your own challenges have started off well and that the snow isn't too bad where you are.

40 comments:

  1. You really have made a good start with your challenges this year Jo. I quite liked the Lord of the Rings trilogy but I haven't been able to get into the Hobbit trilogy they do seem to go on forever. Your have three of my fav films To Kill A Mockingbird and Se7en and Silence of the Lambs all of which I could watch over and over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say that I'm a big film watcher really so it's quite nice making time to sit and watch them, I was getting rather fed up by the end of the Lord of the Rings trilogy though. I've recorded some of the films on the list from Sky so I've got plenty to go at for the time being but I'm sure there'll be lots which I can't get hold of.

      Delete
  2. No snow here, just a thin layer last night that soon went. Loving your challenges, are the Nightingale books based on true stories like Call the Midwife? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a big snow storm this afternoon so we've got a covering again but I don't think it will last. The Nightingale books aren't based on true stories but they're very good. New characters are introduced in each book but the old ones are still there too.

      Delete
  3. You've started your year's challenges off in good style, Jo. Well done! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've given them all a good go this month while I've had the chance, things may slow down when the better weather arrives.

      Delete
  4. I agree with you on your film comments, particularly about Taxi Driver. I have 3 charities that I support on a regular basis, wish I could do more.
    Love Agatha Christie, I reread her on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree about Taxi Driver, I've read such good reviews that I thought it was just me. There's so many deserving charities, though there's lots of ways to help them even if it's not by donating money, for instance recycling Christmas cards. It's hard to choose which ones to support as they all tug at my heart strings. I haven't read Agatha Christie for years so I shall enjoy this challenge, I can't remember any of the books I've read previously now.

      Delete
  5. I like that word 'hunkering', sounds cosy!
    You have done very well with your challenges. I've seen bits and bobs of the Lord of the Rings as Graham likes these but I wouldn't want to see them all as like you these really aren't my thing.
    Everything clothes wise here that can't be used again is popped into the recycling bin for Hampshire and IOW Air Ambulance, I'm always surprised by how often I'm dropping off bags, at least one carrier bag a month. Thanks for posting about M&S at the start of the month as I made sure our cards went there too.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hunkering is the perfect word to describe what I do on winter evenings. The rest of the family have watched Lord of the Rings and enjoyed them, though even they thought they were over long. The Air Ambulance is such a worthwhile charity, it's actually hard to believe that it is a charity as the work it does is fantastic and so important. Glad you managed to get your cards to M&S too, I think that's a great scheme they run.

      Delete
  6. Wow you've been busy, what a good start! Clearing out is one of my challenges, it starts in the garage, but I am using the excuse that it is too cold right now. I don't think I have ever watched 8 films in a month! Silence of the Lambs was your 1st anniversary, and our first date, oh so romantic! Not to keen on that one, but I like all the Lord of the Rings films. Nice work with your charities. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got lots more clearing out to do so I'm sure there'll be lots more visits to the charity shops to drop things off. I don't think I've ever watched eight films in a month before either. There's lots of ways to support charities so I'm trying to be inventive this year.

      Delete
  7. You have a great plan for the year and you're doing so well already! I would really enjoy the shepherdess book, I will have to see if I can buy it over here. I don't know if I could do it, but I've always had a real admiration for large families. I want to watch more classic movies too. I thought Se7en was so scary! But then I was about 17 years old when I watched it and I found everything scary and horrifying then, haha. I hope you've had a good week, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to have a large family, though I'm not sure I'd have been brave enough if I were Amanda Owen, the farm is an hour and a half away from a hospital so she's ended up delivering a couple of her babies en route. I'm sure you'd enjoy the book if you can get hold of it. Se7en was still scary when I watched it this time, it's a well thought out storyline and the end still made me gasp even though I knew what was coming.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on achieving your challenges for this month. Great job.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've started off well, I just hope I can keep up with them.

      Delete
  9. Well done with your challenges so far. I'm not a good film watcher as I can't sit and do nothing for more than about half an hour (if that). I'm reading Amanda's book now and am loving it. What a life and written as though she was sitting opposite you and telling you in person. Good on you charity challenges so far and will pop an email through over the weekend. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried to knit or crochet whilst watching the films but I've had to put it down as I ended up missing bits and having to rewind, I find it hard to concentrate on two things at once. I'm glad you're enjoying The Yorkshire Shepherdess, it's made me want to call in for a cream tea the next time I'm in the Dales.

      Delete
  10. I think I would love the Nightengale books, I'm partial to the East End of London and I love the show "Call the Midwife"... also, one movie that I can't watch is... Silence of the Lambs!! I've tried to watch it a couple of times, at different states of the movie... but I can't watch movies that have creepy story lines! But I do have to say, the acting is extraordinary though!
    I hope you have a great weekend!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'd enjoy the Nightingale books, especially if you enjoy Call the Midwife. I know that Silence of the Lambs isn't everyone's cup of tea. I don't mind films like this, but I recently had to turn off Watership Down as that nearly had me in tears and it's only animation. I suppose we've all got genres we can't bear to watch.

      Delete
  11. What s good start. The Agatha Christie was one of the first books I bought for my eReader.
    Thanks for the mention. I've seen all those films, and the only one I'd want to watch again would be the western.
    Thankfully there's been no snow here, it's just been very cold and wet. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely looking forward to reading more Agatha Christie but with so many books to go at, I think this will be an ongoing challenge over a few years. Out of the films I've watched this month, I wouldn't mind seeing two or three of them again, so I don't suppose that's too bad. Glad you're managing to avoid the snow, we've still got bits of it around but it's all iced up and the pavements and side roads are lethal.

      Delete
  12. No snow to mention here, which is a great disappointment.

    And yes, I also thought, when I read that you planned to watch all those films, that there were some I'd pay not to watch. But you're right, it's good to challenge yourself to move away from what's familiar :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had more snow through the night but it's almost all melted now. I'm sure there'll be lots of films which I find I can't get hold of, there's some old ones on the list, but I'll give them all a go if I can.

      Delete
  13. Most of my book group friends are retired or still working nurses or teachers so novels or non fiction about those professions are always popular. One of our members gets the book of the month from the library stock so it's a case of reading something I might not normally choose. I'm so slow with my reading I often skim read if I don't enjoy the choice because it's not my cup of tea and we meet up to have a good chat anyway. Sometimes I do get engrossed in a story or account of someone's life. The Yorkshire Shepherdess looks good. All the best with your challenges for this year Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been a member of a book group, I think it's a case of wanting to choose which books I read myself rather than have the choice made for me. I'm the same as you, quite a slow reader and I usually only read in bed so a book can take me quite a while to finish, though if it grips me, I tend to read more. I really enjoyed The Yorkshire Shepherdess, it made a change from fiction too.

      Delete
  14. Our local charity shops take everything, even the rags, because they sell them on and make more money from them.
    128 minutes of Brad Pitt, eh?
    We love the Lord of the Rings in our house. But having said that, Peter has seen the films once and that's enough for him, while the Princess isn't a great fan, so when I say the house I'm really only talking teenage boys and me, and I know plenty don't like them.
    And Agatha Christie in order? Sounds like a good challenge! Have you read most of them before, or are lots of them new?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish all charity shops took rags, as you say, they can make money from them too, but it's good that there's somewhere to take them anyway. I've read lots of Agatha Christie in my teens but I can't remember one of the stories now so it will be like reading them all from scratch. I enjoyed the first one and there's plenty more to go at.

      Delete
  15. What a good start to your challenges, Jo. The Yorkshire Shepherdess book sounds good - seven children though, that sounds like a full time job in itself. I love having a good clear out and sending stuff to the charity shop. At school we have a Bag 2 School scheme which collects clothes/textiles and raises money for the PTA which is great. Eleven inches of snow here in Derbyshire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Yorkshire Shepherdess is a great book and I agree, seven children is a full time job but Amanda Owen somehow manages to tend to her flock too. We had Bags 2 School when my two were in primary, it's a good scheme. Keep warm and stay safe in that snow. We had some overnight but it melted very quickly this morning. We're forecast more in to next week though.

      Delete
  16. I'm with you on the LOTR. I was dragged to the 3 of them. The best bit of film one was my brother climbing over the back of the seats to pop to the loo, getting his foot stuck and hopping along the seats trying to get his foot out. 2nd and 3rd films I was bribed with Pizza!!!!!!!

    Have you read "Silence of The Lambs" I read it in 6th form and scared myself silly - we were on holiday at the time, in an old farm building at the end of a dirt track!!!!!! I didn't like the film - Clarice doesn't have that accent in my book!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd have to be bribed with more than pizza if I were to sit through the three Lord of the Rings films again, once is definitely enough. I have read Silence of the Lambs and I read Red Dragon, the prequel, too.

      Delete
  17. Sounds as though you are doing really well! Hope that you keep enjoying them all through the year! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I will. There's plenty of books and films that I have to go at and of course, charities are always looking for help in one way or another.

      Delete
  18. You have made a great start to the year. I think it's a great idea to set up a standing order for a charity, especially one so close to your heart. I'm sorry to hear that your Dad is currently ill - what a worry. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Setting up a standing order each month means that a donation can be spread throughout the year, it makes it more affordable that way. My dad is plodding on, but it is a worry. We, as a family, haven't had much let up from cancer over the past fifteen to twenty years, it seems to rear its ugly head with regularity.

      Delete
  19. What a great start to your challenges. I'm so glad you are enjoying the Kindle. As you commented on my blog, I, too, didn't think I would be happy not having the physical book in my hands. However, I found out that it makes it easier for me since having RA sometimes makes my hands swell and ache. Good for you also for the donations. I admire anyone who takes the time to do this. And it is time consuming. We have curb side recycling here and out of the 25+ houses in my little neighborhood, only 6 or 7 of us recycle. Makes me sad. Good luck with the movie watching.
    Hugs,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Kindles will be a godsend to many people who have difficulty holding an actual book, I know it works for me when I want to read in bed, not only do I not have to put the light on during the night but it is actually easier to hold. Charities are crying out for help these days and there's more ways to help them than by giving money so anyone could do their bit. I'm really enjoying the movie watching. I'm not someone who watches many films but I'm enjoying this challenge more than I thought I would, it's going very well so far.

      Delete
  20. Couldn't agree more about Taxi Driver, dreadful film. Cannot for the life of me imagine how it won Best Movie Oscar!! Well done on a good start with your challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking forward to watching Taxi Driver as it's on so many people's top movie lists, I can't for the life of me see what they see in it. That's one I'll definitely never watch again.

      Delete