Thursday 18 April 2024

French Macaroon

I don't often knit jumpers for babies, I think it's probably easier to dress them in cardigans rather than have things which have to be pulled over their head, but I saw this French Macaroon pattern by The Noble Thread on Ravelry and just loved it.

It's knit in garter stitch so it's beautifully squishy. The only downside really is that the seams need to be sewn together. I'll admit that I avoid seaming at all costs, knitting in the round wherever possible, but it's only a small garment so I relented. The shoulders and tops of the arms are joined with a three-needle bind off so it was only the underneath of the sleeves and sides which needed sewing and even I could manage that. Going back to that three-needle bind off, it's done with wrong sides facing so that the seam is shown on the outside so I did one knitwise and one purlwise so that both seams faced the same way.

There's a button at the back of the neck to allow a little more give when putting the jumper over baby's head. I used King Cole Cottonsoft DK in the Ecru and Lime colourways. One thing I love about this jumper is the bold pops of colour, I could knit so many in lots of different colours. I did notice a difference in the way each of these colours knitted up though, the Lime seemed to have more body to it, the Ecru is much more drapey. I joked with Eleanor that she can use it as a dishcloth when the baby's grown out of it.

I added a button which I picked up when I was at Bakewell Wool Gathering.

I'm very pleased with the finished garment. It's knit in a larger size so it should be perfect for the colder months when the baby is a little older.

11 comments:

  1. I can imagine that being knitted again and again in different colour combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer to knit my seams together, and always do the shoulder that way, it looks so much better. Love the green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! Babies in handknits look extra adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a delightful little jumper and I love those buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, such a different type of jumper with a nice colourway and buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! So bright and colorful and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute little jumper and it looks so warm and squishy too. Babies grow out of things so quickly so I think it's a good idea to knit things a little bigger, at least they can get some wear out of them. Your grandbaby is certainly going to be well dressed with all the lovely things you are making.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely jumper and that button is perfect :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sweet little jumper, I like the colours too. I can't say that I enjoy sewing up. Very Pink Knits on Youtube demonstrated the mattress stitch, I tend to use that frequently. I also use her advice sewing ends in - Umberella and Smiles. My Nan used to knit for Patons Patterns many years ago and favours sewing up on her machine using Gutermann threads. It all looks very neat x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The baby jumper is very sweet and I love the colours you used. It will be wondefully warm and cosy for baby and a larger size is always a good idea. Perfect button to finish it off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that little button... The perfect addition!

    ReplyDelete