Thursday 12 October 2023

What Lies Within

I decided that I'd join in with a couple of Halloween knitalongs this year. Alex on the My Yarny Corner podcast and Helen on the Giddy Knits podcast are both hosting one so I thought I'd knit a pair of socks and enter them in both knitalongs.

I didn't want to go to the expense of buying yarn especially for this but didn't have any Halloween yarn in my stash, so I decided to go with a skein of yarn I'd got from Love Handyed called Autumn Fallen Leaves. The colours are very autumnal but I do think it looks a little Halloweeny too as there's pops of bright green, bright yellow and bright orange in there if you look closely.

As for a pattern, I had the What Lies Within Socks by Naomi Buchanan in my Ravelry library. It's a pattern I won a few years ago but have never knitted before. As it's inspired by the Harry Potter books and in particular The Chamber of Secrets and the basilisk, I thought this would suit the Halloween theme rather well. It's a very easy cable pattern and I love how it looks.

The added bonus of entering these knitalongs is that I now have a nice new pair of socks to add to my sock drawer just in time for the colder weather.

19 comments:

  1. The socks look great, Jo. Lovely and cosy now that the weather has definitely gone autumnal! 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful, I prefer the browns and greens over oranges, the cable is simply a great addition. I have finished my 1st pair this autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those socks will keep you warm. Nothing like hand knitted garments to keep you feeling cosy during cold weather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are very good Halloween socks. Congrats. They are beautiful. OR, should I say spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous yarn and oh so lovely socks. I've been knitting socks too, they're a bit addictive methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice, and they look so warm. Sitting here cold at the moment and wish I had them on my feet. Not happy it's fall instead of summer. Good color choices, and always a plus trying to use up stash vs buying new. Well done.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those came out very nice! I like the autumn colors and a person would be able to wear them for the enter fall season. My knitting skills are very limited, and so I am always impressed by the talent of others. I hope they do well in the knitalong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look great, a very nice mix of colours.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the socks! Personally I will get a lot more usage out of brownish socks than orange and purple ones!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are such pretty socks, I bet they keep feet nice and toasty in the cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great pattern and yarn for Halloween, looking just like a pair of skeleton feet! Great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great socks. They look super cosy and warm. Just right for colder days and nights.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty sight! In winter, I'll wear only woolen socks (not acrylic or other yarn).

    ReplyDelete
  14. What gorgeous socks! They look so soft and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wooo I've seen your socks and remembered how much I liked knitting them and my youngest grand son loves my hand knitted socks, so thank you. I like your pattern .

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look perfect for the changing weather.xxx

    ReplyDelete