Tuesday 28 February 2023

February 2023

February is the month I like the least, I think it's because it's usually the coldest month, so I'm glad that it's also the shortest month. 

The month started out blustery with some very high winds but we still managed to get out when there was a break in the weather. We had a walk through the ancient woodland at Middleton Park which Archie enjoyed. The lake was very quiet on this particular day though there's usually lots of people fishing.

My crafting mojo has finally returned. I hardly picked up any of the projects I've got on the go last year so I've got a few things which have been languishing. I really want to get them finished off now. I finished the Scrappy Dog Blanket as you'll have seen in an earlier post and I've pulled out my Twelve Days of Christmas cross stitch to continue with. I didn't do any cross stitching at all last year but I've been putting just twenty minutes stitching into it each day and I'm sure that will soon see it completed. I really want to start some new things but I want to get my older projects nearer completion, if not totally finished off, first.

If January was the month of daffodils, February has definitely been the month of tulips. I just love the different look each bunch I return home with brings to the house depending on which colour I choose. I'm like a child in a sweet shop when I stand there trying to decide between each of those jewel tones, it's always such a hard choice. I'm glad I'm not restricted to just one bunch throughout the tulip season and that I can work my way through many of the different colours.

I've read three books this month.

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

"Fiercely romantic and hugely influential, The Scarlet Letter is the tale of Hester Prynne, imprisoned, publicly shamed and forced to wear a scarlet 'A' for committing adultery and bearing an illegitimate child, Pearl. In their small, Puritan village, Hester and her daughter struggle to survive. But in this searing study of the tension between private and public existence, Hester Prynne's inner strength and quiet dignity make her one of the first great heroines of American fiction."

I have to say that I've never heard of Nathaniel Hawthorne, nor had I heard of this book, but as it's included in the Penguin English Library I picked it up. It was published in 1850, though set in the mid seventeenth century in Puritan Boston, Massachusetts. The overall theme is that of sin, redemption and social stigma. I found the writing style quite challenging so I did have to concentrate and perhaps this is why it didn't really hold my interest. It's not the worst book I've read but it definitely wouldn't be among my favourites.


Return to Thrush Green by Miss Read.

"Problems never come singly in Thrush Green.

Joan and Edward Young have to face an illness in the family, while crabby old Albert Piggott is rapidly going downhill without his wife Nelly, and the Curdle's family fair is making a loss.

Loyal Miss Foggarty welcomes an old friend to the village, and Harold Shoosmith catches himself hoping - at the ripe old age of sixty - that his bachelor days are over.

In the expert hands of 'Miss Read', Thrush Green once more springs to life for the reader."

I've been reading one book each month by Miss Read for over two years now and yet each one is so different so there's no chance of becoming bored. I really enjoyed this story of characters returning to Thrush Green, some to stay and another to just up and leave again before the story ends.


A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman.

"At First Sight, Ove is almost certainly the grumpiest man you will ever meet. He thinks himself surrounded by idiots - neighbours who can't reverse a trailer properly, joggers, shop assistants who talk in code, and the perpetrators of the vicious coup d'etat that ousted him as chairman of the Residents' Association. He will persist in making his daily inspection rounds of the local streets. 

But isn't it rare, these days, to find such old-fashioned clarity of belief and deed? Such unswerving conviction about what the world should be, and a lifelong dedication to making it just so?

In the end, you will see, there is something about Ove that is quite irresistible..."

The book has recently been made into a film called A Man Called Otto starring Tom Hanks and I've heard of quite a few people taking trips to the cinema to see it. Whilst looking at the Kindle deals I saw the book reduced to just 99p so I downloaded it.

It's an enjoyable story, some sad parts but plenty of humour too and it kept my interest and was entertaining, one of those heart-warming reads. I think we all know people like Ove so it's easy to relate to him. I'd like to see the film. I more often than not think that a film doesn't do a book justice but with Tom Hanks in the starring role, I think this just might be one of those films which is better than the book. What a brilliant actor, Tom Hanks can really bring a character to life and I'm sure he'll be fantastic in the role of Ove/Otto.


Shrove Tuesday always falls forty seven days before Easter Sunday and so as the date of Easter fluctuates each year, so does Shrove Tuesday. It always falls somewhere between the 3rd of February and the first week of March and this year it fell on the 21st of February. I often made pancakes when Daniel and Eleanor were young, though I don't think that either of them were particularly bothered about them. I don't often make an effort now that they've left home but I thought I would this year. I have lemon and sugar on mine and Mick has gravy, yes, gravy. I've never heard of anyone else having pancakes with gravy, though perhaps it's not all that weird really as it's only the same batter mixture as Yorkshire Puddings.

We've had some glorious sunsets this month. This photo was taken from my craft room window, no filters, this is exactly how the sky looked. Isn't it beautiful.

In my end of month post in January, I mentioned that I wouldn't be writing as many posts as I have done in the past. Some of you commented saying that you hoped I wouldn't be giving up blogging all together. Well, no, I still enjoy blogging, it's just that I'm cutting back on the time I've been spending on it. I shall definitely still be here with one post at the very least each month. Also, I mentioned last month that you can find me on Instagram, just search jothroughthekeyhole, and thank you to those of you who have done just that and who already follow me over there. I do enjoy Instagram but I don't think you get the connection with other people as you do through blogging and that's why you'll still find me here too. 

Mick's got two separate weeks holiday from work in March so we're hoping for fine weather so that we can get out and about a little. I'm hoping for an action packed month.

22 comments:

  1. I, too, have dug out a cross stitch that I started a few years ago. It's a Christmas one so, maybe, of I do a wee bit every month, it'll be done in time?? Enjoy your action packed month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lot of interest in your blog.
    I love the colour of your tulips - so rich.
    I read the Miss Read books years ago and feel inclined to read them again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have gravy on pancakes too! It was a regular Monday lunch when I was a child and my mother would make extra Yorkshire pudding mixture and extra gravy on Sunday. Hoorah for Mick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to see A Man Called Otto. It wasn't quite what I expeced. While Tom Hanks was good, the young neighbor lady (Marisol in the movie) was A-MAZING! It was well worth going to see.

    Afterwards I reread the book and enjoyed it so much more than the first time. There ARE differences, but nothing that changes the character of Ove/Otto. He's STILL grumpy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a fantastic sunset! Your tulips are a lovely colour too. I've been buying some to brighten up the place and have been surprised how long they have lasted. It looks like you are on target for getting your cross stitch completed in time for Christmas, it's looking great. Wouldn't it be good to have some warm weather, especially if you are planning a few trips, fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In our garden February was the daffodil month - no tulips yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's strange how the weather differs over the UK, here the weather through February has been ok on the whole, dry and quite sunny most days, although saying that the last two days have been wet.
    I have The Scarlet Letter on my Kindle to read but as I haven't picked my kindle up in years it's still on my to read list. A Man Called Ove is one of my favourite books, loved the Swedish film version and Tom Hanks did a good job of portraying Ove in the newer version.
    Glad your crafting mojo has returned, looks like you will have The Twelve Days of Christmas finished in time for this Christmas :-)
    I'm not a fan of Insta, I sometimes pop on and have a look but I find it such a time waster, all that scrolling, lol, plus it's full of adverts and reels whenever I look on there, or perhaps I haven't got it set up right, but I hardly ever see posts from people who I follow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos and I really love the cross stitch--who is the designer? Do you get the tulips from the shop or are they growing? They're quite beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cross stitch designer is Paulette Stewart. You can read my original post about this design if you follow this link:-
      http://jo-throughthekeyhole.blogspot.com/2020/09/who-fancies-bit-of-stitching.html
      The tulips I've had in the house are bought from the shop. It's a little early yet for them to bloom outdoors but I did plant a few in a pot in autumn so I've got those to look forward to in the garden in the next month or two.

      Delete
  9. I'll be glad to see the back of February too! Some interesting books there. Goodness, I've never heard of gravy on pancakes. Love that sunset. I hope you have a fun couple of weeks.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm definitely always pleased to see a post pop up from you and also feel that people have dropped off the blog scene. I know I've been slack, but hopefully I'm getting my mojo back too for posting, crafting, photography and quite a few other things I've let fall beside the wayside. Love the tulips & your cross stitch, but that last photo is "AMAZING". Thanks for the update, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that sunset is amazing! Stunning colours. I love tulips too those purple ones are a gorgeous colour. So glad to hear that your crafting mojo has returned, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reading through your lovely post, I think you've had a good February. I love those tulips and that sunset is indeed glorious.

    Pleased that you will be continuing blogging, and look forward to reading what you get up to, especially as Mick has got some holiday.

    Take care and have a wonderful month of March :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your tulip colour is stunning, gravy on a pancake, shakes my head here, but each to their own. We have the film a man called Otto on our list to see, as you say Tom Hanks always plays a great role.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's nice to see your twelve days of Christmas, it's looking good it won't be long before it's done I'm sure, very interesting reads I'm sure that I've read some Thrush Green books in the past. Gravy on pancakes very interesting but like you say it is Yorkshire pudding batter, give me lemon and sugar every time. That sunset is stunning I have watched similar from my conservatory the colours are beautiful. I have yet to buy some tulips, tomorrow definitely. Have a great March. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those tulips are a delight. They are one of my favourite flowers and your purple ones are gorgeous. I keep meaning to treat myself but the supermarket ones I've seen haven't looked that great, so far. I will just have to wait until I next go into town. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read Madam Bovary and had the same problem trudging through it. The language has changed a bit since it was written and so much description of everything.

    I love to cross stitch. I'm not good at it, but I love doing it. It's very calming.

    ReplyDelete
  17. An enjoyable post and lovely pictures.
    I generally don't like February either but with it being so dry I was able to do much more plotting than usual.
    I like lemon and sugar on my pancakes, and have never heard of anyone liking them with gravy before.
    Let's hope that March is a good month so we can all enjoy it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those Tulips are fab. I love February as its my birth month and I generaly book something nice which breaks up the gloom!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I meant to go and see A Man Called Otto at the cinema, but I guess I'll wait for it to come on Netfix or Prime now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks like you had a productive month, some reading, some crafting, some shopping. Yes, February is an excellent month for indoor activities. The Scarlett Letter was required reading in my American Literature class oh so many years ago. I read a Man Called Ove with my book club a number of years back. We had some very good discussions.. I hope you get a chance to go see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your blog Jo so I'm pleased that you are still going to post. Like maggie said as much as I like Instagram, I find it a total waste of time. I know it's quick to post but it's all the rest that I find too distracting. I've temporary disabled my account but I can easily see this being permanent.
    I love Miss Read, Thrush Green is my absolute favourite. A good reminder thank you x

    ReplyDelete