Friday 10 February 2023

Scrappy Dog Blanket

Back in May of 2018, I started a scrappy mitred square blanket with the intention of using some of my leftovers as well as mini skeins in it. When I gave it some more thought, I decided that I only wanted to use hand dyed yarn in the blanket so the following month I started a second blanket to use up the leftovers from my commercial yarn.

I never really got very far with it but after nearly five years it was time to get it off the needles. I've had some of my longer term projects far too long now and I want to clear the decks. When I looked at it, there were a few squares left to knit to square it off, but even then, it wasn't very big, it wouldn't even work as a lap blanket.

I don't like untidy edges so I picked up stitches right the way around it and added a small border, it now measures 75cm by 60cm. It's made up of fifty six squares with just three duplicate colourways which means the blanket is made up of fifty three different yarns, many of which are leftovers from the socks I've made over the years.

After giving it a soak, it's acquired a lovely drape and it's much softer than it was. Commercial sock yarn can be quite rustic but it usually softens up after a wash.

Although it isn't big enough to do very much with, it's made from wool which is lovely and warm so I shall give it to the Dogs Trust when I next visit. I'm sure it will be just the thing to line a little dog's bed. It will keep it warm and snuggly while it awaits its forever home.

And what became of the original scrappy mitred square blanket that I started you may ask. Well, that's still on the needles. I'm hoping to add some more squares to it and get it finished off at some point. Sooner rather than later I hope.

16 comments:

  1. The blankie looks lovely, Jo. I'm sure a wee doggy will love it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both your blankets, a dog will have a snuggly warm place to sleep, I do love a lap blanket, I made mine using Tunisian crochet squares, and loads of hand dyed yarn. Do you need nay more small skeins, I have loads here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the offer, that's so kind. I should have plenty to finish the blanket off from leftovers, swaps, gifts and advent calendars but thank you.

      Delete
  3. It's lovely Jo bright and cheerful, there's going to be one lucky pooch out there. Your other blanket is lovely too and it doesn't really matter how long it takes to finish it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some little dog is going to be VERY spoilt with that brand new blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so kind of you to donate your blanket to the Dogs Trust, I'm sure it will be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely Jo and I'm sure the Dogs Trust will appreciate it. Isn't it amazing what you can do with scraps of both yarn & fabrics. Look forward to seeing your progress on the second one. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jo, knit knit knit, lovely cosy blanket for cold nights now. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky dogs it a lovely blanket.. I have some unfinished knitting bits too, one day I'll finish them, .....one day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does look lovely, I am sure the Dogs Trust will appreciate it.
    Happy weekend wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blanket has turned out brilliantly, so cheerful and bright. The other one looks good too but you'll be able to keep that going for years with your Advent Calendar wool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both of your blankets are so lovely Jo. So very generous of you to donate one to the dogs trust, I hope it brings some joy to a wee doggy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love those blankets. That will certainly keep a little dog warm.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful blankets, and I am so impressed with your talent. Love your generous heart for donating one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They're both lovely blankets Jo, that's a kind thing to do in donating them too x

    ReplyDelete