Tuesday 15 November 2022

Solar Socks

My Strictly Sockalong 2022 socks are finished and off the needles. Ali from the Little Drops of Wonderful podcast hosts a knitalong each year which runs alongside Strictly Come Dancing. Those taking part knit a pair of socks and I think this is the fifth year that I've joined in.

This year I used some yarn which was sent to me all the way from Australia by my lovely friend Susan from Granny Smith's Quilting. It's by Maximoo yarns and is in the Candy Store Ruins colourway. I think it's knit up beautifully.

Here is a close up of the pattern. It's called Solar by Gill Slater, it's a free pattern on Ravelry. I haven't used it before but it's well written and very easy to memorise, it's given a lovely result. It looks really nice when it's stretched out a little, as it will be when being worn.

You can see all the beautiful colours in the yarn

Sometimes I put a different heel in a pair of socks from the one given in the pattern but I followed the instructions here and I'm very pleased with the finished item.

This is the first knitting I've done this year and it's definitely given me the urge to knit more, in fact, I may have already cast on something new. Watch this space.

13 comments:

  1. The socks look fab, Jo. They'll be lovely and cosy in the coming months, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so envious that you can knit socks and those are really lovely. I keep thinking of having a go but they do look complicated for a novice knitter like me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are beautiful Jo, I love the colourway. Glad your knitting mojo is returning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The yarn colours are beautiful, and that is a lovely pattern. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great socks, I need to knit some more but can't get the mojo working, lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous socks Jo I love the pattern (I'll have to look it up) and the colours in the yarn, you have finished them very quickly too, what will you do for the rest of Strictly haha. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad the yarn knitted up well & is all local not far from here & sold from a shop you'd love. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look lovely Jo and the colours in the yarn are fabulous.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is gorgeous yarn, so many lovely colours that go so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are such pretty socks Jo! I am so envious that you can knit. My mother could and my sister, but I was always hopeless at it. It doesn’t stop me from enjoying the works of others though, such as these beautiful socks which I would be very happy to see on my feet. Maybe I can ask one of my friends to show me how to knit. I don’t think I’m too old to learn, maybe? LOL!

    ReplyDelete