Friday 11 November 2022

A Room With A View

I know nothing at all about E M Forster, I haven't read any of his books, but I picked up A Room with a View from the bookshop in Whitby when we visited earlier this year.

"In a sunny tale of love and liberation, Lucy Honeychurch is transformed by the characters she meets on her first trip to Italy: flamboyant romantic novelist Eleanor Lavish, the Cockney Signora, lower-class Mr Emerson and, most of all, his passionate, unconventional son. Returning to her traditional home and family, Lucy finds herself torn between the intensity of her experiences in Italy and the repressed morals of English middle-class society - a conflict personified in the two very different young men she finds courting her attention.

Sundrenched and optimistic, and exploring many issues at the heart of Edwardian life - radical thinking, women's suffrage, the constrictions of English social rules - this is a brilliantly witty love story."


I'm afraid to say that I just didn't get on with this book at all. If I were in the habit of abandoning a book half way through, I would have done so with this one. I didn't like the writing style and I found some of the conversations very hard to follow as it wasn't made obvious who was talking. I found myself going back to the beginning of paragraphs trying to follow the dialogue, and I'm not sure I even worked it out then.

I found the story itself rather boring and I'm afraid of all the classics I've read so far this year, this is the worst. I shan't be reaching for another Forster novel in the near future.

11 comments:

  1. In the last two or three years I have given up finishing a book if I didn't like it/love it. I used to force myself to finish a book even if I didn't like it. I finally figured I didn't have to do that! lol

    I think they made a movie out of the book, didn't they? I didn't watch it though. Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the movie and loved it. It starred Helena Bonham-Carter and she is one of my favorite actors. I don't know how close it was to the book version though. P.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you'd enjoy the film with Helena Bonham Carter in more. Bit of a disappointment for you though especially as it didn't come from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't love this one either, but the movie is good. Maybe you'll try Howard's End? I reread that every few years because I learn so much from it and enjoy it too

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I've heard of a movie with that name too, but always had a feeling it was written by Virginia Wolfe. Good on you for persevering & finishing it. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a book I have read.
    There was film of this title with Helena Bonham Carter which I think had good reviews.

    I do think you are good to continue reading a book you clearly do not enjoy ... it's something I no longer do.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. A book has got to capture my interest almost from the beginning before I'll read it, this one does sound a bit boring life's too short to be reading something you're not enjoying.
    Have a lovely weekend. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. There was a Merchant Ivory film of this book with Helena Bonham Carter as Lucy Honeychurch. It has a great cast (Judi Dench, Maggie Smith etc.) and is worth watching. It does make you want to go to Italy! I admitted defeat with Brideshead Revisited after a couple of chapters - I didn't like any of the characters!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not surprised as it's a book I read many years ago and ended up skimming it rather than abandon, which I'd wished I'd done. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love E M Forster, I have read all his novels, many of which have been made into films. I know that not all books and/or authors will be liked by everyone. Like others have said you might like the film?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read any of E M Forster's books but know several of them have been made into films as others have commented. Maybe I will try the local library and borrow a copy of one of his books to read and see if I come to the same conclusion as you.

    ReplyDelete