Monday 19 September 2022

Queen Elizabeth II

I think we'll all remember where we were when we heard the news of the Queen's death. Mick, Eleanor, Jacob and I were sat in a meeting with the wedding coordinator at the venue where Eleanor and Jacob are getting married when we heard the sad news. 

We'd heard earlier on that day that the Queen was under medical supervision as doctors were concerned for her health, but I didn't expect anything to happen quite so quickly. Although she was 96 years old, it seemed like she would go on forever. It was hard to imagine her not being here, she marked her 70th year on the throne this year and most of us have never known another monarch.

So many people have queued for many hours to pay their respects as they see the Queen lying in state at Westminster Hall, but for those of us who haven't made the trip to London, the television coverage has been exceptional, allowing us to see the procession and all the major events of the past ten days.

Today, the Queen is laid to rest in a historic state funeral. She fulfilled her promise to devote her whole life to our service and that devotion to her duty is an example to us all.

It's now time for her son as King Charles III to take his place on the throne and I think he'll do a magnificent job. After all, he's been in training for a very long time and has been set such a marvellous example by the Queen.

10 comments:

  1. She was an amazing woman! I pray that all the good she has done makes hers a legacy like no other. God bless your country. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not followed it much. I was abroad when I first heard it on the tv. Since we were in France and everything on the tv was in French, we weren't really able to follow any of it. There was a 20 minute blurb by CNN in English which is how we found out. Then we were both in isolation in our room due to Covid, which ruined our entire tour. I've not turned on the tv now that we're back in the states. But, I know many have been clued to the set. She served the country a long time and was a pretty remarkable person...even serving during the War. Charles I think might be in a tight spot. I didn't think he was very respected in the UK, and has a huge pair of shoes to fill. It will be interesting to see how he does.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have watched a lot of the BBC coverage of everything that's been happening since the Queen died. I've cried and sniffled and laughed and cried again. I unashamedly sat from 10 this morning until 5 this afternoon and watched the whole funeral. A fitting send-off to our marvellous Queen. She will be missed but, as you say, King Charles has an amazing example to follow and I think he'll do us - and Her Majesty - proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is sad, but she was such an amazing lady, she'll always be remembered. I was three when she came to the throne & remember even then having to sing God save the Queen, instead of King. We've seen some of the proceedings here on TV and were quite moved by it all. I saw the announcement here on my laptop webmail page at 6.30am on the Friday morning as I went to check my emails. I was shocked, but we don't get quite the same news details about things outside of Oz as you would in the UK. Lovely post Jo. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The funeral was beautifully done and what a nice touch that the Queen's horse and corgis were there to greet her coffin. It was very moving when the lone piper played as her coffin descended into the vault. She did devote her whole life to duty and will be missed. King Charles will be a good monarch I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wasn't she incredible, she will be missed by all. What a busy couple of weeks the Royal family has had and what an impressive celebration of her life the state funeral was, so full of colour, music and marching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She was a very special person and will be missed.
    Her state funeral was so well done.
    I don't know how many millions watched it, but the outpouring of love was incredible.
    I wish King Charles well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had the opportunity to watch the Queen's funeral service live on TV. It was a day full of emotions. And I'm just as moved today.
    All the best wishes to the king.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watched the Queen's State funeral which was beautiful in every way. I hope the royal family can now have time to be able to grieve for their loss away from the public eye. I wish King Charles every good wish for his reign.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The BBC did a great job with the coverage. It must have been so hard for all the Royal family knowing that their every move and expression was being monitored. I hope the media won't pick them apart and read to much into things in the aftermath. Queen Elizabeth II will be a hard act to follow, but I'm sure King Charles will do his best to follow her lead.

    ReplyDelete