Friday 22 April 2022

Nineteen Eighty-Four

The phrase "Big Brother" or "Big Brother is Watching You" has become known because of the television programme of the same name, but it actually originates from George Orwell's novel Nineteen Eighty-Four, with its theme of continuous oppressive surveillance. This book isn't a genre that I would ordinarily choose to read but I was curious.

"George Orwell's terrifying vision of a totalitarian regime has become a touchstone for human freedom ever since its publication, and is one of the most widely read books in the world.

Ruled by the Party, controlled by the watchful gaze of Big Brother and punished by the Thought Police, no one is free in this dystopian world. But, hidden away in an office in the Ministry of Truth, Winston Smith longs for liberty, and starts to rebel."


I knew little about this book really. I had a vague idea of the theme but as it's a genre I wouldn't usually read, I wasn't sure it would be for me. The beginning was a little hard going, but I read on a little more and was surprised to find myself enjoying it. It has a well thought out plot and is well written, you find yourself rooting for Winston Smith and reading on because you want to know what happens. It's a book which certainly makes you think, especially in the world we're living in at present. Another one I'd recommend.

17 comments:

  1. I love this book, my English teacher gave me a copy to read when I was 14, I loved it, I read it again a couple years ago, wanted to see if it was any different to my adult mind. I still loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds Interesting Jo, I'll see if they have it in the Library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a book which I've read several times over the years and always found it an interesting read. Considering that it was published in 1949 it's surprising how much of it can be related to today. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great book that has sparked many other books, TV series and films too. The cover of yours is rather smart. Have a good weekend Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read the book but does sound like one I definitely should read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never read it but have heard that many things can be related to today. I remember Jenny asked for it one Christmas when she was a teenager, perhaps I should borrow it to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big Brother is all around us, cameras everywhere. I saw 1984 as a TV play and it scared me, so I've never ventured to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was standard curricula when I was in high school in the 1970s, but probably because we were in the midst of the Cold War.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate to say this but I think this is the way we are all going with the cameras etc. I must give that a try.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds scary but interesting and I may ask DH is he's read it. Thanks for the info, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doctor Who seems to have tackled similar subjects and a book I had to read for the OU called Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner. It was horrific and probably just what you'd expect in a dystopian novel. It's good to hear that somebody likes them, just not me. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read this when I was a school it was a set text for my English A Level. I really enjoyed it, perhaps I should read it again as I am sure I would read it very differently now as an adult. Orwell is a good writer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a well known book, but not one I have read.
    Nice to see your recommendation.

    Enjoy the weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read bits of it when I was at secondary school in the 60s/70s but it didn't 'wow' me enough to read the whole thing. Back then 1984 seemed so far away, it's hard to think we're already almost 40 years past it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes,it sounds like a very interesting read.x

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was on our must read list back in High School. Though I did what I typical did back then, read the first, middle, and last chapter in order to write a report. I did not like reading back in the day. And now, I think I might find it too bothersome given the state of affairs under trump, and now all this horrible stuff with putin.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sometimes it's good to jump into a genre you wouldn't usually read.

    ReplyDelete