Wednesday 24 November 2021

Colder Days

The weather has changed this week, gone are the mild November days. We're coming towards the end of autumn now, winter will soon be taking over and the temperature has dropped accordingly. I really didn't fancy donning my coat and shoes on Monday, the first day we really noticed the colder weather, but I'm glad I did as it was beautiful once I was out there.

It really wasn't as bad as I'd feared it was going to be when we were walking in the sunshine, the golden glow lit up all the scrunchy leaves on the floor. Archie had great fun running through them making a noise and kicking them up with his back legs.

Some trees are still holding on to a few of their leaves but others are now completely bare. They seem to change day by day at this time of year when one blustery day can make all the difference.

We haven't had very much rain at all just lately so the fallen leaves are still crisp underfoot, much to Archie's delight. I'm with him on this one, I really don't like it when I'm walking in mud and squelchy leaves.

I haven't seen many holly berries this year, I've passed great swathes of holly with just a few berries dispersed here and there. I wonder if the birds have been busy filling up before winter sets in or if the plants just haven't produced many.

No berries at all on this variegated holly.

There's still pops of colour about if you look carefully.

Even the dying plant material produces such wonderful colours before they eventually die off and fall to the ground, though I fear we're coming to the end now.

The apple trees have lost their leaves but they're still hanging on to the unwanted apples.

I find it hard to motivate myself to get outdoors for a walk the minute the season looks to be changing to winter, I hate the cold weather, but I'm so glad when I make the effort. I soon warm up when I'm walking and the beauty of nature really does lift my mood.

16 comments:

  1. I never mind the cold, you can always wrap up warm and it's always lovely to come home to a warm house. I do hate cold wet days, the cold seeps into my bones and I can never get warm afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to get myself motivated to go out on my trundle truck. You may just have done the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, I'm definitely a fair weather walker. And I find as I'm getting older that I really don't like the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are lovely, I especially like the first one. I don't mind it being cold if it's also dry but I hate cold wet weather. You must have had less rain there than we had recently, the leaves underfoot her are just wet and soggy :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is cold and far too tempting to just stay at home all warm and cosy. I have a thick winter coat and as you say once you get out providing the weather if fine it makes for a pleasant walk. I like scrunching through those crisp fallen leaves too. Your first photo is really lovely, what a nice place for a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post and pictures. As you say it's been noticeably colder this week.
    Good to see Archie enjoying himself. I guess that the birds will soon have those apples.
    I don't mind cold weather providing it's calm and sunny. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos.

    I don't have a holly tree, but my neighbor does. It is LOADED with berries this year. I have Winterberry bushes and this is the first year they have had many berries (I put them in 2 years ago) and the berries are MUCH, MUCH brighter red this year.

    I'm thinking it means a cold winter for us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos Jo I always dread going out in the cold but once out there I usually enjoy it, I had to wear two pairs of gloves on Monday my hands were so cold. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am the same way Jo. It is difficu1t to get me outdoors, but once I am 1ayered in knits and jackets, it is usua11y we11 worth it. That is the on1y time I wish for a dog. Our cats are dog1ike, but its not the same. Happy Co1d weather's comin

    ReplyDelete
  10. The woods look beautiful at this time of year and your photographs are really lovely.
    After several years of very few berries, my holly tree is coovered with them just now. X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you made time for a walk & like me you enjoy nature & it is then all worthwhile. I don't do rainy days, but cold is OK when all rugged up. I definitely don't do our "stinking" hot days or when it is very humid which we seem to be getting this year as we are in a "La Nina" weather pattern here, which means more rain than usual & is good for the farmers, but makes it extremely sticky & uncomfortable on hot days. Keep warm, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's noticeably colder here too this week. There have been a couple of mornings with quite a hard frost on the field across the road. I think there's no denying that autumn is almost gone and winter is fast approaching!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so pleased you went out for this walk, because I really enjoyed seeing your photographs, they are all lovely :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. What great photos Jo, especially the first one. It's interesting to hear you mention the lack of berries where you are as there are so many down here, it must be due to the weather. Keep cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous autumn images Jo. Our holly tree is full of berries this year. I know what you mean about it being harder to go walkabout when the weather gets colder, I'm the same.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. must be enjoy to walk around beautiful areas ....
    love your photos

    ReplyDelete