Sunday 29 August 2021

To Have And To Hold

It was my niece's wedding on Tuesday. I call her my niece but she isn't really, she's my sister's stepdaughter. My sister died twenty two years ago but we've always kept in touch with her and her brother and it's just the same as her being my proper niece. She was supposed to get married last September but the wedding had to be postponed due to the coronavirus restrictions. It was moved to around Easter time this year but again, had to be postponed, so it was third time lucky.

We had a lovely day, the wedding was held in a converted barn and it was a fabulous venue surrounded by beautiful scenery. The bride and groom didn't want gifts, they said it was enough that we were helping them celebrate their marriage, but we gave them some money and I couldn't resist giving them a little token in the form of this cross stitch.

This is To Have and To Hold from Country Cottage Needleworks stitched on 28 count Brittney Lugana. I really enjoyed stitching it and though I started it at the beginning of 2020, I held off finishing it completely until I was sure the wedding was going ahead as the date had to be added. 

Talking of the date, what a numpty I was. Can you see what I did? The numbers were all charted up for me, I just had to choose the right ones and make sure I centred it in the design, but I couldn't even do that right. I put the year as 01 instead of 21 so I had to unpick it and start again. I added the names to the design so I had to chart some of the letters myself but I think it looks okay.

The bride's hair was supposed to be blonde but my niece has brown hair so I changed that, and the date is actually charted in pink but as I was adding their names I decided to continue in the same colour as the rest of the writing.

I snapped a photo of it in the frame before the glass was added to prevent the glare. I'm pleased with how it turned out. It was a lovely design to stitch.

I think the next wedding on the cards will be Eleanor's, though they still haven't chosen a date, venue or anything else, so I don't think it will be for some time yet. It gives me time to stitch another wedding sampler if I choose to do so.

25 comments:

  1. What a fabulous and thoughtful gift Jo it looks perfect. I'm sure that they will treasure it. Have a peaceful Sunday.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely piece of work and a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always great to attend a wedding, they are such joyous occasions. Our daughter had booked hers for last year but it was cancelled. They are now planning a date later this year.The sampler is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure that wedding sampler will be something they always treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely present for them - I am sure looking at it will bring back happy memories of the day.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is lovely.Love in every stitch(well not the 01).That is the kind of thing I do?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to Rachel and Neil, they finally made it! Your cross stitch is lovely and will be treasured I'm sure. I remember you blogging about it and you did a wonderful job. I'm glad you had a lovely day and another wedding to look forward to whenever that may be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is lovely. I have a cross stitched smaller that was done for my wedding 25 years ago and it is very special to me. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet gift. Wonderful that the happy couple finally tied the knot.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, that's absolutely beautiful, you made a lovely job of it, it will no doubt be treasured. Glad they were able to get married after the delay. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, it's beautiful, Jo. I'm sure your niece and her new hubby will treasure it! Too funny on the date! 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is really an incredible gift, it will be cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did a great job on the wedding sampler. May they have a long and happy marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh, it seems so long ago now that you started this piece. It has turned out absolutely beautifully and I hope R & N are delighted with it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely wonderful, the perfect momento of a finally perfect day. 💖

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is a beautiful gift, made with love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lovely gift. Lets hope the next wedding doesn't need to be put off so many times!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How lovely for them to be married at last. And your crafted gift is wonderful, I'm sure it will take pride of place. Jean. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely gift & memento of their long awaited wedding day, I'm sure it will be treasured. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is an awesome gift. Numbers, shmumbers

    ReplyDelete
  21. So pleased the wedding eventually took place, so many couples have had to wait!
    That is a lovely gift, I'm sure they will treasure it.
    My good wishes to the happy couple :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't been too a wedding for a good few years! Great gift stitching, I'm sure your neice and her new hubby loved it

    ReplyDelete
  23. A beautiful gift, lovely occasion full of new tomorrows xcx

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is really lovely Jo, the names look really good
    xx

    ReplyDelete