Saturday 21 August 2021

My Own Surprise Book

I've made lots of friends in Blogland. I'm always amazed by the connections people make even when they've never met in real life. One of my best friends is Maggie from BlackCountry Wench blog. I was drawn to her blog when I came across all the fabulous cross stitching she does, and I always enjoy her varied posts. We seemed to hit it off from the start and though we've still never met, she's a very good friend.

Maggie and I share a love of reading, among other things, and in her recent post about Monday's Outing, she mentioned a book she'd picked up in a National Trust shop. It's a wrapped book so she doesn't know what it is, a surprise. It does have a tag on the parcel with a clue about what the book is about, so I'm sure it will be a lot of fun finding out if her guesses are correct. I commented saying how I thought it was a great idea and yesterday my friendly Hermes delivery man brought me an unexpected package. Maggie had sent me my own surprise book.

There was a lovely card with it too. Maggie said that she thought the book would be something I would enjoy and I'm sure it will be, it sounds right up my street:-

TWOPENCE TO CROSS THE MERSEY

When Helen Forester's father went bankrupt in 1930, she and her six siblings were forced from comfortable middle-class life in southern England to utmost poverty in the Depression-ridden North. Twelve-year-old Helen becomes responsible for the running of the household with little food to feed the younger children. Written without self-pity, this account is both heartwarmingly funny and shockingly moving.

LIVERPOOL MISS

The Forrester family are beginning to win their fight for survival and, now fourteen, Helen's personal struggle is in persuading her parents to allow her to earn her own living and lead her own life, after years of putting her family first, forgetting her own need for care and education. Struggling against illness caused by severe malnutrition and dirt, Helen also has to contend with her parents' selfish demands.

Thank you, Maggie. I know this is a book I'm going to really enjoy.

Do pop across to Maggie's blog if you don't know it already, it's a very good read.

15 comments:

  1. Maggie's blog is lovely, I enjoy reading it, she sent me a book yesterday with a pretty card, she has been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll need some tissues handy for that book - it's incredibly sad

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely surprise for you and I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy!

    Looks like a wonderful, fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful surprise and it sounds like a wonderful book. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy my visits to Maggie's blog.

    I'm sure you will enjoy reading this book.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh That s a grand exchange and surprise idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely surprise! You're always reading so it's
    an excellent present for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Must look out for that one.I am currently reading Mrs England by Stacey Halls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a lovely surprise Jo and so nice of Maggie. It looks like a great book, enjoy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree about blog/online friends, I've 'met' some lovely people.
    That's a nice surprise to receive. Happy reading. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You will have to let me know what you think of the book when you get around to reading it Jo.
    Thank you for the lovely things you said about my blog. I'm so grateful for your friendship and glad that we were able to connect through our blogs, perhaps one day we will be lucky enough to meet up in person, wouldn't that be lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read the book years ago, and as Sue says its very sad, in fact totally heartbreaking at times. However, it is obviously a book that made a big impression on me because I cans remember some of the events from the book. Its a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely "surprise" & I know you'll enjoy. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a lovely surprise. A great read too!xxx

    ReplyDelete