Monday 19 October 2020

Our Sunday Outing

It was a bit dull yesterday morning. I could quite easily hunker down on autumn days when the sun isn't shining but as dog owners, we don't have that luxury. We were thinking of somewhere different to go for our walk and we came up with Middleton Park, somewhere we haven't been for quite a while, and Archie loves it there as there's so much woodland, in fact, it's the largest ancient woodland in Leeds.

We park our car near the lake. It's not a large lake but it's well used with fishermen setting up their lines here. I wonder how successful they are. I suppose they must get plenty of catches as there's always people fishing whenever we've visited this park.

It's a well used park with plenty of green space, the woodland, a children's playground and a rose garden. There's also tennis courts, bowling greens and a visitor centre with a cafe which was doing a roaring trade yesterday. I have to say their bacon butties smelt delicious.

We chose a path and headed into the woodland. Middleton Park is situated four miles south of Leeds city centre and of its 630 acres, 200 acres are ancient woodland.

It's a very well used park, it's always busy whenever we visit but it's large enough that it doesn't feel at all crowded and we were able to stay socially distanced without any problem at all.

It's still very green here but we were aware of leaves falling from the trees as we walked. Some trees are showing their autumn colours.

It was rather damp. It's nice that there are pathways through the woods so that you can avoid any muddy patches, although we don't keep to them all the time. I suppose it must be the perfect environment for mushrooms as there were lots of them about.

We even spotted these tiny mushrooms growing on the trunk of a tree.

There were a few trees down. The top of this tree was lying across the other side of the path but the stump has started sprouting growth again now.

Straying from the main path, there are an abundance of ferns. I think they're so tactile, they make me want to swish my hands through them.

Talking of tactile, moss is another thing which I always want to stroke. This tree was covered in it.

If you're in the area, I can thoroughly recommend a trip to Middleton Park. As you walk through the wood there are information boards about the shaft mounds which are thought to mark the sites of medieval coal mines. Also, if you walk right through the woodland, you come to a station on the Middleton Railway, the world's oldest continuously working railway which has been in existence since 1758. Lots of great reasons to visit the park.

15 comments:

  1. I'm sure Archie enjoyed his walk in the woods! It's pouring rain here with us today and, by the looks of the weather forecasts, there's more on the way. Maybe even snow. Oh joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks and sounds like a really interesting place. I do love seeing all the different fungi growing this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about just wanting to stay inside in these dark dreary days, I have to force myself to get up off my backside and go out but once I'm out I'm always glad I made the effort. It looks like a lovely place for a visit I love how those mushrooms are growing up the tree, I have quite a few growing in my garden right now. Have a great week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The park sounds and looks lovely especially from a dog's point of view, lol. Now's the time to enjoy the autumnal beauty all around us. Too soon we will be on the inside looking out and very thankful for warm coziness!💖

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went to a railway gala on Middleton railway once. We were sitting waiting to take a ride on the horse drawn tram when the horses bolted. It was a scary experience especially as the groom ended up trapped under the tram. I often wonder how she got on as she was whisked away to the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a park full of interest as your post and pictures show. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny! I just started reading a book that takes place in Leeds and they mentioned that park. It looks like a lovely place to go for a stroll.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful place to take a stroll! Even with the rain it's pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful place to go for a walk, thank you for sharing it with us Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Jo for sharing that lovely walk. I've not heard of Middleton Park in all the 8 visits I've had & stayed in Leeds, & somewhere we've not been. Must ask DH when he arises. I love the photos of trees, moss & fungi. Take care, stay safe & huggles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really must visit these lovely woods. Just loved all the mossy trees, paths, mushrooms and that sprouting stump. I can see why Archie loves it so.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely, you're lucky to have so many wide open spaces nearby, perfect for Archie too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The mushrooms marching up the tree are amazing!! ! The moss tree looks dressed in a moss gown for a lovely occasion! Thanks for beautiful photos

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like you I'm grateful for the green spaces, especially ancient woodland in our area which means you don't have to go far to find somewhere interesting to walk. Middleton Park looks well signposted with good paths through the woods. Archie must enjoy his walks too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely post Jo, such a nice visit and walk.
    I enjoyed seeing your photographs, it certainly looks a great place to visit.

    Happy mid-week wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete