Sunday 2 February 2020

The Nurses Of Steeple Street

I've enjoyed the Nightingale series by Donna Douglas, so much so that when I discovered she'd started a new series about district nurses I knew I wanted to read these books too.


The other draw is that the story is set in and around Leeds and it's been fun recognising places I know whilst reading this book.

'Welcome to the district nurses' home on Steeple Street, where everyone has a secret...

Ambitious young nurse Agnes Sheridan had a promising future ahead of her until a tragic mistake brought all her dreams crashing down and cost her the love and respect of everyone around her. Now she has come to Leeds for a fresh start as a trainee district nurse.

But Agnes finds herself facing unexpected challenges as she is assigned to Quarry Hill, one of the city's most notorious slums. Before she can redeem herself in the eyes of her family, she must first win the trust and respect of her patients and fellow nurses.

Does Agnes have what it takes to stay the distance? Or will the tragedy of her past catch up with her?'

Set in the 1920s, this book reminded me very much of Call the Midwife. The various characters each have their own story to tell, from the district nurses themselves to the patients they attend. I enjoyed this book every bit as much as the ones in the Nightingale series, Donna Douglas does a great job of setting the scene in her books and the harshness of life after World War I had ended is brought to life.

I already have the sequel to this book, District Nurse on Call, waiting on my bookshelf and I can't wait to read it.

11 comments:

  1. Wrong era for me, but I too love reading novels set locally. and know where everything is happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful!!!! To have found a book, and liked it so much, that it leads you to more.

    Please pass some of that luck-at-reading 'mojo' over here. -sigh- I'm still looking...

    *•.¸💛¸.•*

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always nice to read about places you know.
    Happy Reading the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound like a smashing read.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing a new read with us. I am always on the lookout for new reading material. I am presently enjoying Ann Cleeves new book, THE LONG CALL. 💖

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww Nurse stories. !!! Im too tired from it to write a book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when I find a book I have really enjoyed and then find there is a sequel too. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh I must investigate the titles, I really enjoy Call the Midwife, thanks for sharing xcx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great read ! I do hope Agnes has victory in the end !

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like the sort of story I would enjoy but looking after a sick little dog means I don't get much time for reading at the moment. I've recently sent for a book set in my home town, written by someone who once lived here, so I'm looking forward to eventually reading about local places I know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds a very good read :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete