Saturday 19 September 2015

Bamburgh

Getting back to tales from our holiday. Our Northumberland holiday cottage was situated not far from Bamburgh, notable for two reasons, its association with Grace Darling and the imposing castle which overlooks the beach.

Grace Horsley Darling was a lighthouse keepers daughter. She was born at her grandfather's cottage in Bamburgh in 1815 but was taken to live in a cottage attached to the lighthouse on Brownsman Island, one of the Farne Islands, when she was just a few weeks old. In the early hours of 7th September 1838, Grace Darling and her father, William, took a rowing boat out to save survivors of The Forfarshire, a steamship, which had foundered on rocks by the lighthouse and broken in half. The weather was too rough for the lifeboat so they rowed nearly a mile to save four men and a woman. William and three of the rescued men rowed back to the lighthouse where Grace then remained whilst William and the three men rowed back to the wreckage and recovered four more survivors. News of the rescue and Grace's bravery reached the public and donations totalling over £700, including £50 from Queen Victoria, were raised for her. Grace Darling died in Bamburgh of tuberculosis in 1842, she was just 26 years old. She's buried in the churchyard in Bamburgh.


The first thing you see when you're approaching Bamburgh is the impressive castle built on the coast.


It's a magnificent building and was once home to the kings of ancient Northumbria.


It's quite a sight when you look back from the beach.


The castle is lived in but some of the rooms are open to the public. We'd have liked to visit but once again, Archie hampered our plans. I'm sure we'll return one day.


The castle overlooks the castle green where Bamburgh Castle Cricket Club play their matches. It was only once we'd seen the cricket pitch that Mick, being as interested in cricket as he is, looked at their website. It transpires that if you drop them an email a few weeks before you're visiting, you could have the opportunity to play for the club whilst you're there. Mick wished he'd known this before we visited as he'd have loved to have played. I don't think there can be a cricket pitch in England with a more beautiful backdrop.


Bamburgh isn't a huge village but it's a lovely place for a day out, and it has the added attractions of the Grace Darling Museum, St Aidan's Church, a beautiful beach and a couple of decent pubs and hotels too.

Don't forget about the swap I'm running. The Twelve Days Of Christmas Swap Sign Up is still open if you fancy joining in, just leave a comment on that post and I'll add you to the list. It would be lovely to have some more international bloggers joining as there's quite a few people who have already registered their interest in swapping worldwide. Don't be shy, it's a great way to make new bloggy friends too.

24 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place. The castle looks so well preserved though I was surprised that people live there. Lovely each too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a beautiful place. I don't think you can visit Northumberland without a visit to Bamburgh, so much history and such a fantastic castle. I didn't expect to learn that people still live in the castle, what an impressive home.

      Delete
  2. It's a Very long time since we visited the beautiful Northumberland coast. So It's on my list of places to go back to. We didn't go into Bamburgh castle either, I expect with 3 children it would have been too expensive. We did go to the museum and saw Grace darlings boat.
    As you say a wonderful place for a cricket pitch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Northumberland coast is definitely worth a return trip. We didn't get to do everything we wanted so I'm sure it's a place we'll come back to some time in the future. Mick was most impressed by the cricket pitch, it would be a wonderful place to play in the shadows of the castle.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely place to play cricket and watch it too! The castle does make a rather nice backdrop.

    Have a lovely weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mick was rather disgruntled when he realised he could have emailed to ask for a place on the team. As it happened, they were playing away the week we were there so I don't think he was quite as disappointed as he would have been if they'd been playing at home. I think he'll definitely ask to play if we return though.

      Delete
  4. It's a lovely area, and the castle is most impressive as your photos show. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was absolutely taken aback by the castle, it's such an impressive building, absolutely beautiful. I'd have like to go in and have a look around but that's something for the future. It is a fabulous area, so much to see and do.

      Delete
  5. We were at Bamburgh Castle at Easter. My abiding memory was that the weather was awful. It was so cold that I had so many layers on I could barely move! The castle was lovely, though! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look at the sky in my photos I'm sure you can see that we didn't have the best weather that particular day either. I really want to go back to Bamburgh so that I can go inside the castle, it's such a fabulous building.

      Delete
    2. Bamburgh Castle is on my to do list. In many years of holidaying up Narth I've never been, and I do know it has that impressive coastal aspect. Perhaps next time.

      Delete
    3. I definitely want to go back, just so that I can visit the castle. It's been added to my very long list of places to visit.

      Delete
  6. I love castles! My mom said we visited some castles when we visited Germany in the 70s but I was only 5, so I don't remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're spoilt for choice here, we have lots and lots of castles. Bamburgh Castle is in great shape though, most castles here are no longer inhabited but this one is.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Truly inspirational. Her selfless actions saved lives.

      Delete
  8. We've been to Northumberland a couple of times but only as far as Morpeth. I'd love to go back again. Bamburgh Castle looks interesting and what a stunning location by the sea. A great backdrop for a cricket match, you'll have to organise another trip so that Mick can join in with the cricket! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so many places to see and things to do in Northumberland, we only touched the surface so we shall definitely have to go back. I'm sure Mick would definitely get in touch with the cricket club if we visited Bamburgh again, he was sick to have missed out this time. The castle is stunning and such a sight to behold as you look back from the beach.

      Delete
  9. I just love castles. When I finally make it over there, I'm going to cram in as many castle visits and tours as humanly possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're so lucky to have all these castles to visit, so much history. You'll have a whale of a time when you do make it over here.

      Delete
  10. Not many places can boast such amazing history. The castle is stunning and how wonderful would it be to watch a game of cricket there, perfect.
    Grace Darling and her story is just awe inspiring.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful place, I'm sure we'll make a return trip one day. I'd like to go inside the Grace Darling Museum and the castle and it's Mick's dream now to play cricket on that pitch.

      Delete
  11. Ooh, what atmospheric pictures you've taken! I remember reading the story of Grace Darling in an old Blue Peter annual and it fascinated me at the time - I can't have been very old but it really caught my imagination! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not by choice I can assure you, we had quite a few dull days while we were away. I remember learning about Grace Darling at school, such an heroic act, yet Eleanor didn't know anything about her. I really despair at what they're taught, or more to the point, not taught in schools any more.

      Delete