Wednesday 31 January 2024

January 2024

The new year started here with illness. I'd had a bad chest and awful cough since Boxing Day, in fact, the cough still hasn't completely gone. We'd struggled through New Year's Eve with Jasmine and Eleanor also under the weather and then on New Year's Day, Mick woke up with whatever I'd had. He's not one to moan though, unlike some men who take to their beds with a cold and call it flu, he just gets on with it. I think the last day he had off work for sickness was in the last century. Anyway, we're all much better now, thank goodness.

Mick and I spent New Year's Day on our own. It was lovely actually having the day to just relax before Mick returned to work on the 2nd. We spent the time catching up watching a few things we'd recorded over Christmas. Our TV is rarely turned on over the festive period so we had a few things to choose from.

We've had a few trips out this month. You can read about our visits to the Coast & Country in my earlier post. We particularly enjoyed our visit to Bridlington on the east coast, so much so that we returned the following week when it was a little warmer, though a storm was expected so the sea was very choppy. I think Archie especially enjoyed this second visit, he seemed to have a spring in his step and made lots of new doggy friends.

My reading mojo disappeared completely for a few weeks. I read my last book of 2023 before Christmas and I didn't pick up a book again until we were well into the second half of January. Even then, I've been reading sporadically and have finished just one book this month.

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway.

"Set in the Gulf Stream off the coast of Havana, Hemingway's magnificent fable is the tale of an old man, a young boy and a giant fish. This story of heroic endeavor won Hemingway the Nobel Prize for Literature. It stands as a unique and timeless vision of the beauty and grief of man's challenge to the elements."

It's a short book at just under a hundred pages but it's packed with such beautifully descriptive writing that it will be one which is long remembered. Not a subject I'd have expected to enjoy but I found myself recounting the story to Mick and it was clear to him that it's a book I'd enjoyed. There's little wonder that Hemingway won the Nobel Prize for this book.

I was thrilled to discover that I'd won a prize in a make along which I'd taken part in during the latter part of 2023. Ellie at Craft House Magic was running the Craft 20 a Day Make Along where you worked on any crafty project for, you've guessed it, twenty minutes each day. I joined in with my English Paper Piecing and won the prize for the last quarter of the year. Ellie sent me this gorgeous yarn, one skein called All I Want For Christmas Is You and the other a one of a kind. It definitely needs to be used together as the colours compliment each other so well. I just need to find a pattern to use it in.

We've had quite a few little treats this month, taking ourselves out for coffee (Mick) and tea or chocolate (me). We're lucky that we have a choice of cafes, some independents and some chains, near to where we live, quite a few within walking distance even, so we're spoilt for choice. It's nice to take ourselves out of the house, even for just half an hour, sit down together and chat.

A new series of Trigger Point started at the weekend and I've binged watched the whole six episodes already. It stars Vicky McClure as Lana Washington, a bomb disposal officer working for the Metropolitan Police. I enjoyed the first series and thought this second series even better. If you like fast paced crime dramas, this one might be for you.

So that's the first month of a new year already gone. I wonder what lies ahead, though one thing's for sure, time is whizzing by. It never seems long after we're seeing in one new year before we're seeing in another. Does anyone else feel the same?

18 comments:

  1. I can't quite believe it's the end of January already. We seem to hurtle through the months. I suppose that's better than finding time hanging heavy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely, the years just fly by these days. It just shows that we must all get out and about as much as we can! You've done well in January with all sorts of interesting things, well done for winning the prize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. January has rushed by, normally it's along dull grey month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the first of the second series of Trigger Point, but not binge watching - I'm spreading it out. Thought the drone carrying a bomb was really frightening - even if not real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the yarn win from Ellie. They are BOTH beautiful!

    Glad to read that you are feeling better. Hope you have a great February.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOh I will have to see if we get that show in the US. I like Vicky McClure (if I'm remembering correctly, she was/is on "Line of Duty"?). I love your new yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you are all feeling better Jo, what an awful start to the New Year. That book sounds good I'll have to look it up. I have done loads of reading in January, I must have read at least 6 books, it's such a lazy pastime just the thing for dark gloomy days. I give myself far too many treats there's quite a few coffee shops just a short walk away, but as long as I don't buy cake then I don't feel too guilty. Yes it's scary the passing of time and the older you get the quicker it seems to pass. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree; it does go by too fast. I've told my husband he shouldn't be so much fun to be with. You know how time flies when you're having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not nice to start a New Year off feeling unwell!
    Pleased that you are all well now.

    Well done on your win, that yarn looks nice.

    It's always good to get out and about for a walk, or cuppa isn't it.

    I've found that January, although a long month with 31 days, has whizzed by.

    Wishing you a happy and healthy February.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first month whizzed by, sorry you and hubby had a cold? As for books I managed to read 9 I read when I can't sleep, its very annoying but thats life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you're all feeling much better now. This time of year is the worst for germs and viruses.
    Congratulations on your prize. Both yarns look lovely and I'm wondering what you might make with them...X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you're feeling better. Please do wear the mask outdoors; it prevents the cold and its symptoms.
    Congrats on the prize! Archie looks very cute in the displayed picture!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry to read that you were ill through into the new year and glad to see that you're much better.
    Good to see that you enjoyed the Hemingway book, and it's a really good example of how short books can be excellent reads.
    I'm thankful January has been and gone, and it's slowly getting noticeabaly lighter again.
    Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you are all feeling better now. That cough seems to linger on and on. I have had it since the end of last year and it has only now started to give up. The yarn is very pretty and it will be good to see what you make with it.
    Looks like you have had some great trips and treats so far this year. Long may they continue x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jo. Glad to hear you are feeling better and were able to get out and enjoy some treats last month. That's a delicious looking display of tea, coffee, and something sweet to eat. Your dog is adorable by the way and seems to be enjoying himself out by the water. Happy February! Spring is near and I couldn't be happier about it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Influenza season has really taken its toll this year on many people. I am glad you are on the mend and ready to face the world. I look forward to seeing what you put together with that lovely yarn you received. Continued blessings as the year progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you are feeling much better now, these things can linger.
    Congratulations on your win, I saw Ellie mention your name, the yarn is so pretty.
    I watched both seasons of Trigger Point on catch up last week, and really enjoyed it, . wish there were more good programs like that on. Hope you enjoy the rest of the month

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad you're all better now. It's been the same here, we seem to have had colds on a loop! Bless little Archie.xxx

    ReplyDelete