Friday 9 November 2018

Let Me Lie

I Let You Go, the first book by Clare Mackintosh, was my favourite book of all the books I read in 2015. I subsequently read her next novel, I See You, and although I enjoyed it, I didn't think it a patch on her first one.


Clare Mackintosh has now released her third book, Let Me Lie. It popped up on Kindle daily deals so I downloaded it. This author writes books with more than a couple of twists in the story line and this latest offering is no different.

"The police say it was suicide.
Anna says it was murder.
They're both wrong.

One year ago, Caroline Johnson chose to end her life brutally: a shocking suicide planned to match that of her husband just months before. Their daughter, Anna, has struggled to come to terms with their loss ever since.

Now with a young baby of her own, Anna misses her mother more than ever and starts to ask questions about her parents' deaths. But by digging up the past, is she putting her future in danger? Sometimes it's safer to let things lie..."

I actually guessed the main twist but it didn't spoil the story for me, there were lots of other twists along the way too which I didn't guess.

I should say that each of this author's three books are stand alone stories but I must admit that my favourite of the three is still I Let You Go but I did enjoy this one.

24 comments:

  1. I enjoyed her first book more than her second, I will look for this book to read, thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed both the first book and this one more than her second one. I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you give it a go.

      Delete
  2. Such fun, to have a series of books, which you have really enjoyed. And fun, to anticipate another.

    I may go back to such a series, soon. The Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series. There are more, which I have not read yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few authors which I follow, I'm always watching out for the next book they bring out. I haven't heard of the series you mention, I will take a look.

      Delete
  3. I LOVED "I Let You Go", indeed I still remember where I was when I read it!! I am glad I read it first as I wasn't bothered by her second novel. I'll be adding this one to my Xmas list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same as you with the first two books, I loved the first but the second was somewhat of a let down. I think she's improved with this one but it still isn't as good as the first.

      Delete
  4. I thought I'd read one of Clare's books, but looking at it I don't think I have (but I bet there's one in my TBR pile!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say that the first one is her best, I enjoyed it the most.

      Delete
  5. I find that if I really enjoy a first novel the next one rarely matches or exceeds it. That's perhaps not so bad if they're stand alone books rather than a series. Happy reading. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's often the case, isn't it. As you say, it's not so bad if they're stand alone books though. This third book is better than the second, perhaps I was just expecting more after the first book, which I thought was excellent.

      Delete
  6. I've read the first two of Claire McIntosh's books and like you I enjoyed the first more than the second. I've not read her third novel yet but I have it on my list of books to read but that list seems to be increasing and I don't seem to be getting through it very fast at the moment.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My reading has dropped off somewhat since Mick bought me an iPad for my birthday. I've started watching podcasts in bed rather than reading, a habit I really must break.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the recommendations, the book looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good read, I enjoy how this author takes the reader on a roller coaster of twists and turns.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the recommendation, not an author I have read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her first book was excellent, I'd definitely recommend that.

      Delete
  9. Intriguing! I do enjoy a good murder-mystery - it's probably my favourite genre when it comes to fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all the twists and turns that this author includes in the story, she's very good at making you think one thing and then turning it to another.

      Delete
  10. I don't think I've seen any Claire McIntosh' books, I will look out for them.
    Many thanks.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't so keen on the second one but I liked this one much more.

      Delete
  11. Sounds fascinating, I must look out for these books. First books are often stunning, I agree with you about many second ones being disappointing.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the first book by this author is her best but I enjoyed this one too.

      Delete
  12. This sounds really intriguing! I love a book which keeps you guessing.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's lots of twists in this author's books, which I love, they definitely keep you guessing.

      Delete