Thursday 1 June 2017

Struggling

I've caught that horrible virus that's going round. I started last week with a bad chest, it was really sore whenever I breathed, and that's developed in to a hacking cough. I'm not getting any sleep, I'm coughing all night long and my ribs ache with it.


I'm not very good when I'm ill, I don't make a good patient. It's just as well then that I'm not ill very often. I had an awful cold last December which started at the beginning of the month and returned for the Christmas period, but other than that, the last time I was ill was in May 2014, three years ago, and that was just a cold too.

The bank holiday weekend was a bit of a washout weather wise so it didn't make much difference that I didn't venture out. I haven't been swimming this week, in fact, I'm wondering if that's where I've picked this virus up from. Actually, I know where it's come from, Mick's had it for the last couple of weeks, but he might have picked it up from the swimming baths. He's not like me though, he copes with illness very well, you won't find him complaining that he's got man flu. I can't remember the last time he took any time off work sick, it was definitely over ten years ago, and then he only took the time off because he couldn't drive. I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times he's taken any time off whilst I've known him (thirty years) and still have fingers spare.

I'm just hoping that I'm coming towards the end of it now and that it's not one of those things which hangs around for weeks. Fingers crossed.

28 comments:

  1. Maybe with a hacking cough, you should see a GP. Get better quickly & hopefully you can enjoy summer without being ill. Huggles from Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, I hope you feel better soon. I'm not a very good patient either, I hate having a cold and from November last year until April i had one every month! Touch wood I have been cold free since then. Our husbands must have strong constitutions because Mark never has time off work either, he rarely gets ill but if he is he's not one to complain.
    I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you are unwell, Jo. Get better soon.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sympathies, and I hope that you feel better soon. Thankfully I'm rarely ill and can't remember the last time I even had a cold. Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hate being sick! Mac generally has to make me go to the doctor, I try every home remedy before giving in. Hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My fingers are crossed for you too, sounds horrible, take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prescribe my favourite remedy ...... hot Ribena with a big spoon of honey stirred into it. Comfort in a mug, and the honey soothes your throat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feel better soon. Hope you can get plenty of rest. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Get well soon. I know a few people that had the hacking cough and headaches lurgy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor you...hope you soon feel much better x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you are feeling better soon, the lovely sunshine today should help.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear you have been laid low with such a horrid virus. I hope it is definitely on it's way out and you are feeling much better very soon.
    Look after yourself.
    Big hugs.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you feel better really quickly, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you soon turn the corner and feel much better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A teaspoon of warm honey (I pop it in an eggcup and in the microwave) can be very soothing for your poor throats with all the coughing, as well as being good for you anyway. Hope you feel better soon, it's horrible to be ill xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember when the kids were babies/toddlers and I wasn't getting much sleep, colds would take 3 or more weeks to get over vs the typical 4 or 5 days. With a cough that's not letting you sleep, it's no wonder this illness is lingering. Sending you feel better soon wishes XO

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sorry to know you're not well with this nasty virus. I can sympathise having been unwell recently. The cough is so irritating and it's difficult to sleep. I hope you're soon feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope that you are feeling a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh dear, so sorry to hear you have not been well with a nasty virus ...
    I do hope it is getting better now and you'll soon be 100%.
    Take Care

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I'm sorry to hear that you are under the weather Jo. Lying down always seems to make coughs worse :( I'm sure that Mick is administering lots of tlc. Hope that you are taking it easy, keeping warm, managing to eat and drink and on the road to recovery xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Get well soon. Summer is a lousy time to have a lurgy. It is going around the village here too, I'm keeping my head down.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope you feel better soon. My voice still isn't totally back, but most of the other symptoms have gone now thank goodness

    ReplyDelete
  23. I do hope you are feeling better soon, I also don't make a good patient, I will have to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You poor thing, I am so sorry you are ill. Here is hoping your ribs stop aching, you cough goes away and you can rest.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh no, I hope you feel better soon! I recommend Manuka honey :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sending a {get well soon} hug, I hope you are well on the mend now as I am behind on blog reading.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I hope you are feeling a bit better now. If not i recommend a very strong hot toddy.

    ReplyDelete