Tuesday 29 July 2014

Challenge Update - July 2014

My 2014 challenges are:-

1) Knit one hat each week for The Innocent Big Knit.

2) Do something nice for me.

3) Choose a non fiction book from the library.


I'm still using Innocent Big Knit Hat With Brim which can be found on The Creations Of Crazy Dazy blog and Innocent Big Knit Garlic by Juliet Bernard which can be found on Ravelry. Gold and silver this month, well, camel and grey actually but gold and silver sounds better.

My nice thing for July was going out for Sunday dinner. I used to work every Sunday from when Daniel was eight months old, right up to him being fifteen years of age. Now that I'm no longer working, I cherish my Sundays and don't like to spend time in the kitchen cooking when we can be doing other things, so we usually have something quick and then have a Sunday dinner on a Monday. This week, we made up our mind on the spur of the moment to go out for a meal. It was a lovely treat, it meant that I got a Sunday dinner actually on a Sunday, but I didn't have to cook it. A win win treat.


My non fiction book this month is A-Z Of The 80s by Ally Molloy. Being born in 1968, the whole of my teenage years fell in the 1980s and I look back fondly at this period in my life. The book goes through pop stars, actors, films, crazes, icons, television programmes, events etc. There's only a short paragraph on each, but enough to jog my memory and take me on a trip down memory lane.

I'm all caught up with my washing and ironing after our holiday, school's out and Daniel's back in York living with his girlfriend over the summer, so it's quite relaxed here at the moment. Mick's back at work so it's just Eleanor and I at home during the day, though she's out a lot of the time with friends. It's lovely having some sunny days and not having to rush about with the usual routine, though we've got rain forecast for the end of the week, I hope that's not the end of our summer.

26 comments:

  1. Your hats are just way too cute. Sunday dinner out sounds good and funny how a book can jog so many memories. A bit like when you here an old song on the radio and old times come flooding back. Take care and enjoy the sun whilst it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Songs really do transport you back to the time they were released, they can hold so many memories.

      Delete
  2. what a great idea and I love your little hats. We have had heavy rain in Kent overnight but today its back to warm and sunny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been rather dull here today but still very warm. I think there may be some rain to come sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  3. You're doing so well with your challenge still, Jo. Good for you. I'm glad you went out for Sunday dinner. I love to do that. I usually make a nicer dinner on Sundays, which I enjoy, but it would be nice to change it up sometimes too. That book looks like fun. I have a similar experience because my whole adolescence fell within the 90's, but I remember a lot about my 80's childhood too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely going out for Sunday dinner, something we rarely do. I'm wondering now whether I should make a bit more of an effort on a Sunday and cook a dinner myself, though I have to say that we do enjoy a couple of roasts through the week. There were so many fun things about the 80s but lots of cringeworthy things too. I've really enjoyed reading this book.

      Delete
  4. A nice relaxing post which all sounds good to me. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a change to go out for Sunday dinner, something we rarely do. These weeks since Eleanor's finished her exams have been nice and relaxing, it makes such a change from the usual rushing around we do when it's school time.

      Delete
  5. Loving those sweet little hats. You are good keeping up your challenges.
    Really hot day here today (again!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The challenges are easy to keep up with as they're things I'm enjoying doing. It's been very muggy here today, I'm expecting rain.

      Delete
  6. Your little hats with the brims remind me of sunhats this month! Especially with the added flower for cuteness. Going out for lunch is always a lovely treat isn't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite an expense for a family to go out for lunch so we don't do it often, so it's a real treat when we do. It was delicious too.

      Delete
  7. you must have quite a few hats knitted up now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they're stacking up nicely. I should have fifty to send off by the time they need to be sent in if all goes to plan.

      Delete
  8. You're going to have a ton of wee hats when the time comes, Jo. Well done you! My girls were both born in the 80s so, although I do remember them, they passed in a bit of a blur. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! :oD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little hats are so easy to knit up and will hopefully raise a bit of money for charity so it's win win. That's a good excuse, time does pass in a bit of a blur when you've got young children.

      Delete
  9. Oh Jo you really are putting me to shame. Even though I have now crocheted all my poppies and knitted all my hats I still need to put the buttons and backs on the poppies and make the bobbles for my hats....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's plenty of time yet, at least you've got all the hard work done.

      Delete
  10. Tom Cruise! Kevin Bacon! Early Madonna! Yes, what a decade! We're the same age so this book's cover just had me giggling again. Remember New Romantics? Tie Rack and Body Shop just opening? Ah, nostalgia isn't what it used to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Romantics, yes, I was a Duranie. I loved the 80's, this book has brought back lots of memories.

      Delete
  11. Gosh, that book cover took me back! I forget Tom Cruise goes back that far though (and I'm sure he'd like to!).

    Your last post was so poignant Jo. You have reminded me to value my own sister more x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom Cruise does look young in that picture, I think he's aged pretty well though. Yes, we must all value our families, if losing my sister and being ill myself has taught me one thing, it's that you never know what's around the corner.

      Delete
  12. Ahh the 80's, good memories. I had my bedroom walls covered in Duran Duran, and used to spend ages arranging them carefully. Your hats look great you must of knitted hundreds by now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No quite. I'm hoping to be at fifty by the time they have to be posted. I loved the 80's, I'd happily go back to those carefree days.

      Delete
  13. Well, the colour gold sounds much better than camel, Jo! What a strange name for a yarn colour! Ha ha. I love those little hats, I have made a couple before and they are really therapeutic to knit. I am glad you got to have Sunday lunch out, I always enjoy going out to eat too, we don't do it often enough here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little hats don't take long to knit at all, they're a welcome break in between larger knitting or crochet projects. I love eating out, I just wish it wasn't so expensive and then we could go a little more often.

      Delete