Tuesday 16 July 2024

Baa-ble Hat

I bought the Baa-ble Hat pattern by Donna Smith a very long time ago, along with the yarn to knit it with. I'm on a bit of a mission to use up odds and ends as well as get on with things which have been waiting for my attention for far too long, so this hat can finally be crossed off the list.

I'm actually glad that I didn't cast on this hat as soon as I bought the pattern as it's been brought to my attention since that the hat knits up on the large side. Susan B Anderson published some modifications and tips on her blog back in 2015 which can be found by Googling, so I followed those instructions. You do still need the pattern, the modifications just run alongside.

It's years since I've done any colourwork, it's really not my thing, but I thought this hat was cute so I was happy to go with it on this occasion. It's an easy pattern and definitely suitable for anyone attempting colourwork for the first time but as I say, it's a long time since I've done any myself so don't look too closely.

I haven't blocked the hat yet, just like lacework opens out when blocked, colourwork really needs blocking to relax the stitches which then helps them to even out. The pattern calls for a pom pom but I'm not sure yet whether I'll add that or not, I've certainly got enough yarn left over if I decide to go ahead.

I used Drops Nepal, an aran weight yarn, which is 65% wool and 35% alpaca. You need four different colours and I find the Drops range very affordable.

Will I knit more colourwork? Not unless I see something else which really catches my eye. Knitting this hat hasn't increased my enjoyment of colourwork at all. I'm definitely a process knitter, I knit because I enjoy knitting rather than knitting because I want the finished product so enjoying what I'm doing is paramount.

13 comments:

  1. It's a delightful hat. I like anything with sheep on ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love that hat, its so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hat is gorgeous and your pictures make me want to knit it but I join you in disliking colorwork.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do add a pom pom to the hat! The finished item will look better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the hat looks great :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a precious hat! I love all the sheep! It will look adorable on your new grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! You'll have to make a pom pom snowball to finish it off. I thought it was Jack's size but maybe it will keep you nice and warm when it turns really cold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it Jo, I'm sure that I have a similar pattern somewhere but never got round to making it. I think it would look lovely with a pompom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love that pattern i have knit a few of them. like you i am a process knitter i just love knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your new hat looks great, Jo. I don't make pom poms very often for hats now. I generally use the faux fur ones on ribbon so I can take them off when the hat needs washing. Your hat would look good with or without a pom pom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute hat, but I'm like you I like to knit for enjoyment. I would leave the pompom off. I find hats with them on are heavier, harder to pack if that's a consideration, and less comfortable.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh.....so cute & well done you. I have been following along, but unable to comment, so hopefully I'm back & will try & do a blog catchup very soon. Take care & hugs from a "cold" down under.

    ReplyDelete