Sunday 10 September 2023

Derbyshire Well Dressings

I'm going back now to August when Mick has his time off work. On the Sunday during his holiday we decided to have a drive into Derbyshire. This county has a custom which is known to be at least 300 years old, probably more, well dressing. The Peak District is made up of limestone areas where water seeps away through fissures in the underlying rock and there are few streams. Wells formed from springs and this encouraged people to set up villages nearby. The tradition of well dressing, or adorning the wells with flowers, appears to have evolved as a way of giving thanks.

The displays are made from a clay base with flowers and natural materials pressed into it. We managed to find three villages which were having their well dressing celebrations during the week we visited. Other villages have their well dressings at different times of the year.

Foolow well dressing theme this year is Foolow Wildlife. They selected some local fauna and flora in celebration of the natural world around the village.

You can see on this close up of the bullfinch how the picture has been created with flower petals, feathers, greenery, bark, lots of different natural materials. It's so clever how they're made.

We then visited Barlow where there are three wells dressed, the Valley Rise Well, the 'Main' Well and the 'Small' Well. The first well we came to was the Main Well and the theme of the display was Fragile World.

The theme of the Small Well, known locally as the Children's Well, was The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

The third well, or Valley Rise Well, is commemorating the coronation of King Charles III.

Blackwell is a hamlet along the road to Taddington and their well dressing sits in the corner of a field belonging to a farm house. The theme here is caving, a very popular pursuit in the Peak District because of the limestone hills, there's plenty of caves to explore.

Onwards to Taddington, their theme was 'Unique to the Peak' highlighting some of the things which make the Peak Park a special place. Taddington's village fete was in full swing as we arrived, there was a brass band playing and stalls a plenty and we had a lovely time looking round.

We had a lovely day out, something a bit different from the norm. If you'd like to read more about well dressings, I wrote a post about our visit to the Tissington Well Dressing back in 2019.

15 comments:

  1. What a colourful day out. Well-dressing is so impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Peak district there are so many interesting things to see in such a beautiful area, I love the idea of well dressings, I think Taddington is my favourite. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love going to the Well Dressings. I saw that the Foolow well dressing was taking place when we had our trip out into Derbyshire with my two granddaughters but it was going to be too long a journey for them so we stopped in Bradfield for the day - otherwise we might have bumped into each other!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a beautiful place to spend some time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very interesting, I've never heard of this before, is it a northern thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're primarily in Derbyshire but I think that some villages in Staffordshire may also have their own celebrations. I don't know of any other parts of the country which have well dressings but I may be wrong.

      Delete
  6. These are amazing! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An enjoyable, and interesting, post and good pictures. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so enjoy reading about old customs and traditions ...

    This looked such a lovely day out, thank you for sharing it here.
    Great post and photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great and what a wonderful tradition. I would enjoy seeing that but I did through your splendid photos. Thanks so much, and for telling us about this interesting event.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are amazing and must take a lot of planning and time to make.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We usually visit at least one village during the season of well dressing, but unfortunately didn't this year. A lot of work goes into each event so thank you for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are sooooooo cool. I was in The UK in August, touring; but we didn't see these. Where is Derbyshire? I'm wondering if we were anywhere near this. Thanks for the share. I've been blogging about my 2 wk tour there on my travel blog, so I'll leave you both links, my personal blog where you usually visit, and my travel blog.
    Sandy's Space

    Traveling Suitcase

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Derbyshire is in the Midlands. Further south than where I live in Yorkshire.

      Delete
  13. How lovely. I've never heard of well dressing before. So interesting!xxx

    ReplyDelete