Tuesday 11 April 2023

Mick's Black Coffee Socks

I've finished the socks I had on the needles for Mick and he's very pleased with them, they fit really well.

I used the Vanilla Latte sock pattern by Virginia Rose-Jeanes which is free on Ravelry. It's a ribbed pattern which I think grips the foot a little giving a nicer fit.

The yarn has been in my stash for a while, it's Bergere de France Goomy 50 in the Imprim Gris colourway which I think translates to Grey Print. It's a rustic feeling yarn, certainly not soft like merino, but I think it will be good for Mick as he's rather heavy on socks and soon wears holes in them. It's sold in 50g balls so I used two and unfortunately, found a huge knot in one ball where two ends had been tied together, and the other ball was in two completely separate pieces, they hadn't even bothered to tie a knot in that one. I find it really annoying not to have one complete length of yarn.

I know they don't match, it's a bit annoying to tell you the truth but I've used this yarn before and you'd have to wind off a lot of yarn to get to the beginning of the colour repeat. I didn't really want to do that and Mick isn't bothered by the socks being sisters rather than twins anyway so I'm letting it go. After finding the joins, they wouldn't have matched anyway so I'm glad I saved myself the effort.

And why have I named them Mick's Black Coffee Socks? Well, the pattern may be called Vanilla Latte but in all the time I've known Mick, and it's a lot of years now, I've never ever known him to drink a cup of coffee with milk in it, he always drinks it black, hence Mick's Black Coffee Socks.

18 comments:

  1. I do get cross when there are knot's in yarn, I always have to unpick to have the join hidden at the seam, something you can't do when making socks. My last pair of sock's I made did not match as twins, I like the term sisters, I might have to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great socks, I will go and look out for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I hate it when you get a knot in the yarn, especially considering how expensive it is now. They came out great though and no one knows they don't match exactly once they are on your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mick's socks look great, Jo. I'm glad you didn't go to the effort of making them match only to discover the knots! How annoying!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sisters is a good term - they look so professional to me and I am sure Mick will enjoy wearing them whatever the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great finish! I like a ribbed sock too. I don't mind non-matching at all, unless the sock yarn promises to match and then does not fulfill that promise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good name for the socks, they are very smart. I love a cappuccino or a mocha but Mark always wants a plain regular coffee. We can never work out a basic coffee for him, made with water and a small amount of milk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are really lovely & one lucky husband who'll have toasty feet. It irks me too, when I came across knots etc., in a ball of wool. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ... and 'Mick's Black Coffee Socks.' look great.

    I hope you had a Happy Easter Weekend.
    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. It wouldn't matter if socks don't match as they're hidden under trousers although knots in the wool must be very annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a very inexperienced knitter, I get very disheartened if I discover a knot in the yarn. These socks look lovely and cosy. X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely socks! Mick now has a fraternal pair of socks (that's the term I use). I've made that pattern several times and the socks always turn out well. I've also used Goomy yarn, and it gets softer as the socks are worn and washed. A pity about the knots, so annoying. I think this yarn is no longer made.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am very impressed with your knitting skills Jo. Mick's socks look really comfortable and nice to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect name for a perfect pair of socks (and a perfect person probably.) Sorry for that! P. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great name for the socks, and I know what you mean about finding a split or knot in the yarn, its so annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The socks look great and looks a good pattern. Shame about the knots in the yarn. Lucky Mick to have such a nice pair of hand made socks x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love those socks, very smart!xxx

    ReplyDelete