Thursday 18 August 2022

Shopping For Houseplants

I'm a recent convert to houseplants. I've had the odd one or two over the years, and I've had a few orchids for some time, but over the last couple of years I've increased my collection. I didn't bring them all with me when I moved house, just a money plant, a couple of Christmas cactuses and a teeny tiny poinsettia which I bought last year. It's dropped its flowers since we moved house but it's still going strong. Oh, I brought an orchid with me too and though it's not flowering at the moment, it is growing a new leaf.

Mick's got a fortnight off work at the moment. We thought we might get off for some days out here and there but Archie has, yet again, developed a limp so he's on enforced rest at the moment. He does seem to be on the mend though so we're keeping our fingers crossed that we'll be able to head off somewhere soon. In the meantime, we're staying close to home as we won't leave Archie for long, so we're trying to get some bits and bobs done that we keep putting off at home. There are areas in my new house where I'd like a plant or two so yesterday, we had a look around a few local garden centres.

There was limited choice in the first two, the third was a little better, though the prices were extortionate.

Our last port of call was a local florist who we've used many times over the years and their prices are really reasonable. They had quite a bit of choice and though I didn't buy anything yesterday, I'm going to go back and buy a Ceropegia woodii (string of hearts) and possibly a pilea glaucophylla. I thought I'd better read up on their care before buying them, I'm no expert when it comes to house plants.

Do you grow houseplants and if so, do you have any particular favourites?

12 comments:

  1. I love my house plants now, although there were quite a few years when I didn't bother. B&Q ,have a great selection of house plants, I recently bought a string of pearls, or hearts, I'm not too sure which, lol, from there and it was only £5.99, it also came with a hanging pot. Everything I've bought from B&Q is doing really well, they look after their plants in store unlike many places. Garden centres can be so expensive to purchase things from. Look forward to seeing what you get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've a couple, but not like I've had in years past, as this house doesn't seem to have quite the right light for them. I grow more bits'n'bobs out on our back verandah & really need to get thinking about the veg garden soon, now Spring is almost upon us. Have fun & I'll pop through an email with a few suggestions. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Archie, I wonder if he has a bit of arthritis, not funny for humans or dogs. I used to have masses of house plants but over the years I got rid of them and now have none, not always by choice though, the cats tend to chew them and as some of them may be poisonous I tend not to get any more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have very few houseplants and, to be honest, if someone offered to take them off my hands, I'd be delighted. The only ones I have are ones that are very forgiving if I forget to water them - which I invariably do. It's not that I don't like houseplants! I do but I'm just useless at looking after them! 😳

    ReplyDelete
  5. my real skill is in killing houseplants but I was given an orchid a year ago and it has flourished with wave upon wave of flowers, It cab't possibly last.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you I've not had many house plants over recent years, just a spider plant and a few primroses. As you know the past couple of years I've been growing dwarf varieties of some annual flowers on the windowsill with mixed success.
    I hope that Archie gets better soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all those succulents. I've fairly recently bought an African violet, I haven't had one for 40 years or so when they used to be very popular. As long as you don't overwater it, it happily flowers for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband has a greenhouse window filled with cacti which I don't care for but so be it. I have an orchid that I have had for over a year and I haven't killed it. I give it an ice cube once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry to hear that Archie is not doing too well, I do hope he continues to improve. I have a few houseplants all of which are really old, I think the oldest is over thirty years it has moved many times with me and often gets neglected but still continues to grow! I used to have more but I don't have the room for them now, once the children move out there might be space for more then!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't do well with house plants. I like them and have had a few through the years. I always like a Jade plant back then. I do well with outdoor plants, but don't seem to have much of a green thumb for indoor ones. Hope Archie feels better soon.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've got houseplants, two are doing really well in the cool of the utility room. two cactuses in the bathroom do well but the two in the conservatory are sadly suffering from the heat this year.
    May I suggest you try YuMOVE tablets for Archie, my last dog Annie did really well on them as she was ageing and starting to limp. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. There never seems to be much choice in houseplants is garden centres. I have been buying some from Gardeners Dreams web site. I was wary about buying houseplants online but they were really good quality.

    ReplyDelete