Tuesday 7 June 2022

A Couple Of Recommendations

We've been so busy with the house move that TV watching has gone out of the window, especially as Mick also watches most of the things I watch these days and we just haven't had a lot of time to sit down together just lately. I've recorded a lot of things which we've still got to watch. There's a couple of series which Mick wasn't interested in though, so I've managed to watch those over the last few weeks.

The first one is The Staircase. I watched the documentary series about the trial of Michael Peterson who was accused of murdering his wife, Kathleen Peterson when she was found dead at the bottom of the staircase in their house. It was really good, so when I saw that a drama mini series had been made starring Colin Firth and Toni Collette, I knew I had to watch it. With so many series available immediately these days, it's quite annoying to have to wait a week for each episode to be released, but it's definitely keeping me wanting more. Colin Firth is brilliant in the role of Michael Peterson, he's been well cast, and I really like Toni Collette too, I've seen her in a few things.

The second series I've watched is Julia. This is based on the life of American television chef, Julia Child, who was recognised as bringing French cuisine to the American public with her cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Sarah Lancashire stars as Julia Child. I don't know Julia Child at all so I'm unable to give an opinion on how like her she is, but I do enjoy nearly all the programmes I've seen Sarah Lancashire in, I think she's a great actress, and I've thoroughly enjoyed this series. I believe it's just been given the go ahead for a second series.

As I've mentioned two series which have cast British actors in American roles, I'd just like to mention my own little star. If you've been reading my blog for some time, you'll know that Eleanor used to be part of a Youth Theatre. She performed in many different shows right up to the time when she left the group to concentrate on her A Levels. After this she went to university, but now she's settled in her home life and career, she's decided that she'd quite like to get back into amateur dramatics. She saw a notice from our local society asking for new members so she went along and discovered they were going to be putting on a production of The Wizard of Oz so she auditioned and was given the part of Dorothy. It was staged each night from Tuesday to Saturday, and there was a matinee performance on the Saturday too. We really enjoyed it, and though I had my reservations on whether she'd be able to pull off an American accent, she did it brilliantly and never let it slip the whole way through the show. In fact, she spoke to members of the audience after the shows who actually thought she was American and couldn't believe it when she broke into her broad Yorkshire accent.

What have you been watching lately? Have you got any recommendations?

11 comments:

  1. You should be one proud Mama! Your
    Eleanor sounds to me like quite a star,not a little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done to Eleanor you must be so proud of her. Hubby has been watching Stranger Things on Netflix and says it is excellent but that supernatural, horror stuff doesn't appeal to me so I busy myself doing other things. He's also been watching The Staircase and says that's good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We haven't been watching very much TV recently, although we certainly enjoyed The Queens Platinum Jubilee over the weekend.

    Well done to Eleanor on her role as Dorothy :)

    Enjoy your week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a talented daughter you have, well done Eleanor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How proud you must be! I'm watching two shows that I think are quite good - The Essex Serpent and The Ipcress File.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved Julia and SL's portrayal is pretty much spot on. And eager to start The Staircase as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool your daughter performed as Dorothy! You have ever right to be a proud momma! I've not watched any of Julia's cooking shows over the years, but I think she's pretty popular. Not watching any series at the moment at home with hubby, but darling daughter and I are currently doing a girls week and we started watching "Inventing Anna". So far we're enjoying it.
    Sandy's Space">

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eleanor sounds amazing, well done her, keeping an accent going for a whole show and for such a big part is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just thinking the other day (when I heard "All of Me" play on my iTunes) about Eleanor singing it in the studio - I think for a birthday present? I wondered if she still did any singing and now I know. You and Mick must be so proud of her. 🌟

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think we have those TV shows here but, like you and your husband, we have little time to sit and watch. How I wish I could have seen your daughter as Dorothy in Wizard of Oz. I'm sure you are very proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done to Eleanor in her role as Dorothy and for doing the accent so well that some people thought she really was American.

    A few years ago I went to a local production of The Full Monty - I don't know if the original film script was copyrighted so any stage productions had to be changed but though the story was the same it was set in a small town in America and the fake American accents of the actors really spoiled it for me. The ending was brilliant though, the lighting effect was spot-on and was the best part of the show. Seriously though, how can The Full Monty be set anywhere other than Sheffield?!

    ReplyDelete