Friday 30 April 2021

The Familiars

It's a while now since I picked up The Familiars by Stacey Halls in The Works. To be honest, I don't know what drew me to it, it certainly isn't a genre I'd usually choose but I'm so pleased I bought it as I really did enjoy it.

"In a time of suspicion and accusation, to be a woman is the greatest risk of all...

Lancashire, 1612, Fleetwood Shuttleworth is 17 years old, married and pregnant for the fourth time. But as mistress at Gawthorpe Hall, she still has no living child, and her husband Richard is anxious for an heir. Then she crosses paths by chance with Alice Gray, a young midwife, who promises to help her give birth to a healthy baby.

When Alice is drawn into the witchcraft accusations that are sweeping the north-west, Fleetwood risks everything by trying to help her. As the legendary Pendle witch trials approach and Fleetwood's stomach continues to grow, time is running out and both their lives are at stake..."

This is a story of fiction set amongst the facts of the Pendle witch trials, of which I knew very little about. Since reading this book, I now want to learn more about the true stories of the Pendle witches and I'd love to visit the area in Lancashire where it all happened. Characters, places and events in the book are real but the story is not, but that doesn't make it feel any less real.

I really do need to step out of my comfort zone more where books are concerned. I find that the books I wouldn't usually reach for are some of the ones I enjoy the most. I'd definitely recommend this one.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review Jo. I think I'll look for this at the libraray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good one Jo I'll have to look out for it. I went on a National Holidays trip years ago to that area and the driver gave us an overview of the History, fascinating stuff. Enjoy your weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds just the kind of story book I’d enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for that review, I like fiction based on fact so will make a note

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed it. It's quite difficult to plump for new books you know nothing about but a nice surprise when you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds interesting and I like the colourful cover but it's not the sort of story I would go for. I prefer books in the here and now, certainly no further back than the 1950s. I went in our local Works yesterday but only to get some note cards to turn into picture postcards for my hobby :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a really interesting read. I don't step out of my comfort zone with books very often either. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, I've got that in my to read pile, I may pick that up next.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds quite interesting. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoy historical fiction and anything to do with the witch trials, both in the US and abroad - I'll be adding this one to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I have someone who will love that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That does sound interesting. I'll look out for it too.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Many thanks for sharing your thoughts and review.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete