Saturday 28 December 2019

Books Read In 2019

My reading dropped off a bit this year after my mum died but I've still managed to read forty books. I'm pleased to say that my reading mojo seems to be well and truly back now so long may that continue.


Back in 2015 I challenged myself to read Agatha Christie's murder mystery books in chronological order. There are 66 in total and I've averaged one book each month in between reading other books. I've now read 60 in total, which means I'll complete this challenge next year, hopefully.


This year I've mainly continued with favourites such as Jojo Moyes, Amanda Prowse, Philippa Gregory and Charity Norman but there are a few new to me authors that I've read too.

The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory
4.50 From Paddington - Agatha Christie
The Child - Fiona Barton
Ordeal by Innocence - Agatha Christie
Three Things About Elsie - Joanna Cannon
Three and a Half Heartbeats - Amanda Prowse
Cat Among the Pigeons - Agatha Christie
Casting Off - P.I.Paris
The Pale Horse - Agatha Christie
The Mirror Crack'd - Agatha Christie
The Coordinates of Loss - Amanda Prowse
The Clocks - Agatha Christie
The Secret - Kathryn Hughes
The Girl in the Corner - Amanda Prowse
The Ship of Brides - Jojo Moyes
The Key - Kathryn Hughes
A Caribbean Mystery - Agatha Christie
The House of Unexpected Sisters - Alexander McCall Smith
The Boleyn Inheritance - Philippa Gregory
At Bertram's Hotel - Agatha Christie
Nine Perfect Strangers - Liane Moriarty
This is Going to Hurt - Adam Kay
Third Girl - Agatha Christie
Nella Last's War - Nella Last
Love, Nina - Nina Stibbe
The Tattooist of Auschwitz - Heather Morris
The Taming of the Queen - Philippa Gregory
The Things I Know - Amanda Prowse
Still Me - Jojo Moyes
Endless Night - Agatha Christie
By the Pricking of My Thumbs - Agatha Christie
Halloween Party - Agatha Christie
The Queen's Fool - Philippa Gregory
The Horse Dancer - Jojo Moyes
Her Last Promise - Kathryn Hughes
The Virgin's Lover - Philippa Gregory
Freeing Grace - Charity Norman
The Other Queen - Philippa Gregory
Queen Victoria - Lucy Worsley
A Million Dreams - Dani Atkins

It's too hard to choose a favourite from this year's list but noteable reads were The Other Boleyn Girl and The Queen's Fool, both by Philippa Gregory, The Ship of Brides by Jojo Moyes, Nella Last's War by Nella Last and The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris.

My 'waiting to be read' pile has been reduced considerably this year but there's still a few books that I haven't got round to yet and I was also bought some books for Christmas, so my reading intentions this year are to read all the books which are still waiting to be read before buying more, and to finish off my Agatha Christie challenge. I'll then have to think up a new challenge.

24 comments:

  1. You put me to shame, Jo. I managed to read a total of two books this year and one of those wasn't worth it! Do children's books count? 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children's books definitely count. I was an avid reader but I was the same as you when children came along, I went for years reading a book or two a year until my kids were nearly grown and I'm loving reading again now.

      Delete
  2. Well done Jo that's brilliant! So many books, it shows you gave had lots of peace and quiet during the year to enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to read a chapter or two when I went to bed but I'm definitely finding more quiet time these days to read a bit during the day and I'm loving it.

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of your Agatha Christie challenge - I've been a big fan of the author since my mum gave me Ten Little Niggers to read on holiday back in the early 70s and I've got every book she ever wrote although I've enjoyed some more than others. I like the films and tv series too, particularly the 1980s series with Joan Hickson - to me she IS Miss Marple and no other actress has been quite as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about Joan Hickson, though I must say that I enjoy reading the books more than I enjoy the films or TV series. The book you were given has had a couple of name changes since then and is now known as And Then There Were None and it's actually one of my favourites, some books are definitely better than others. It's been a fun challenge, I've taken my time with it and I'll be sad when it comes to an end.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely accomplishment!!! In itself. And, that it proves that you have regained your love of reading, after your loss.

    Best wishes for the continuation of your reading joy, in the New Year!

    🎄🌲🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I inherited my love of reading from my mum, she always had a book in her hand, so it was sad when dementia took this passion from her. I found it quite hard to concentrate on reading after my mum died but I've definitely rediscovered my mojo now.

      Delete
  5. I try to read, but find little time. I've been reading The War of the Worlds again whilst do a bit of crochet. Time just seems to leave me standing! Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding more time to read during the day now but I used to just read in bed and even then it was amazing how many books I could get through.

      Delete
  6. Very impressive amount of books there. Quality titles too. I hope to get in more reading in 2020.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to setting myself a new reading challenge once I've finished my Agatha Christie one, I'm trying to think of some ideas.

      Delete
  7. Wow forty books that is really impressive. I too have read more this year than I thought I would but nowhere near forty books. I am so glad to hear that you have refound (is that even a word?) your love of reading x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read more now that I did for many years. Once I had children I found that I just didn't have the time so it's only in recent years that the number of books I read has increased again.

      Delete
  8. Well done with the Agatha Christie books. I'm sure that I've read them all but not in sequence. Happy reading. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read quite a few Agatha Christmas books in my teens but I didn't remember a single one as I reread them. Not many to go now.

      Delete
  9. Well done with your reading, mine fell off a bit in December too, I think my total is around 42, but I may finish one more before the New Year. I've downloaded a few Agatha Christie books over Christmas, I've subscribed to Kindle Unlimited again while it's on offer for 99p and there were a few on there. I haven't read any before but I do love to watch the tv programmes so I think I will enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to finish any more now before the new year, I haven't read anything over Christmas as we've been having late nights with everyone here, but I know it'll pick up again when everyone's back at work. There are definitely good and not so good Agatha Christie books, I've got my favourites, so I shall look forward to hearing about which ones you've read and what you thought of them.

      Delete
  10. You did really well. The only book in that list that I've read is The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris. Such a moving book.

    Most of the books I've read this year have been from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, but I have also listened to a few audiobooks too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like to say I 'enjoyed' The Tattooist of Auschwitz but it was one of my favourites of the year. I haven't read anything by Terry Pratchett but I've been buying books from the Discworld series for Jasmine as Christmas gifts for the last three years.

      Delete
  11. You have done so well with your reading in 2019.
    May you enjoy your 2020 reading books too!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got some good books lined up so I hope my reading in 2020 is just as good.

      Delete
  12. An impressive list Jo, well done. I've read a few on your list.
    I saw Cilka's Story by Heather Morris is out now, she was the 16 year old who the commandant befriended for his own pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen Cilka's Story too, I'm not sure whether I'll read that one or not. Mick bought me The Librarian of Auschwitz for Christmas, I'm looking forward to reading that.

      Delete