Sunday 18 March 2018

Stitching With Jane Foster

I'm always sorry that I didn't learn to sew as a child. My mum was a knitter so it was to be that I would follow in her footsteps and learn to knit, she used to mend clothes but that's really as far as her sewing skills went and with no other sewers in the family, it's something I never learnt to do. I think being exposed to anything as a child can form a lifelong love for it, so it's a good idea to pass on as many skills as we can to our children.

My children are grown up now but when I was asked by Quarto Publishing Group if I'd like to review Stitching With Jane Foster, a book to introduce young crafters to the fun of simple embroidery, I jumped at the chance. I know that many of my readers have young children or grandchildren and I think this book would be an excellent choice to introduce them to this fun craft.


It's a hardback book which is spiral bound, perfect when you want a book to stay open at a particular page whilst you follow instructions. The first pages go through What You Will Need, Getting Started, Stitching Basics, Stitching Examples + Projects, What To Do With Your Stitchable Designs, and Design Your Stitches, before exclaiming it's Your Turn!


The back pages contain 37 press-out templates to get little ones started. These easy press-out patterns are to cross-stitch and sew and come in a variety of well thought out designs which can be stitched in a variety of ways. The reverse of each template is printed in black and white so children are able to personalise them by colouring them in the colours of their own choosing.


There are some great ideas in the book for what to do with the templates once they've been stitched, everything from a journal cover to a bookmark.


I love the bold illustrations in this book, it's designed to appeal to a younger audience, the book is aimed at children from 5+.


Stitching With Jane Foster definitely gets a thumbs up from me. I received a copy of this book to review, however, all opinions expressed are my own. The book retails at £10.99 and can be purchased direct from Quarto.

24 comments:

  1. What a lovely book, nice colourful illustrations too. It would make a lovely present and a good way to capture a child’s interest xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's an excellent book to start youngsters off on a sewing adventure, I'm sure it would appeal to so many children.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely book - I would have loved to have it when I was a child. I was fortunate that my Granny taught me the basics of sewing and knitting (starting when I was 5!), and I had proper sewing and knitting lessons at school from the age of 7. I knitted my first pair of socks on 4 needles when I was 9 or 10!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never had any knitting lessons at school and I can only remember a few sewing lessons, not that I can remember anything useful from them now.

      Delete
  3. Looks a great book & am puzzled as to why we don't still start the young ones off to craft at school as we did when we were young (scary how long ago that was). Around the age of 7/8 we stitched at school & I still have my needlecase & hand towel, though the apron & desk mat are long gone. We needed the last 2, to keep our clothes & work clean from ink in the inkwells inset at the top of our desks. Messy stuff that, so I'll be ever grateful to Bic for inventing Biros. Thanks for sharing the book & your thoughts with us. Take care & stay warm in all that cold stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only remember having very few sewing lessons at school. Both Daniel and Eleanor had textile lessons at secondary school, though to learn anything of any real use you have to take textiles as an option subject (which you then go on to take a GCSE in). Eleanor did, so she's got a good basic knowledge now of sewing but it's a shame really that the basics aren't taught at a younger age so that they can be added to throughout the school years.

      Delete
  4. My mom knew how to sew (from her mom, of course) but she rarely did so I didn't inherit the skill from her either (or any crafty skills) - I would have loved this as a child. I love the cover too - I'm a sucker for owls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember wishing that I could sew as a child but my mum never really encouraged it. I hoped that Eleanor would have an interest so I bought her a child's sewing machine when she was quite young and then when she showed an interest in her textile classes at secondary school we bought her a proper machine. She went on to take a GCSE in the subject but doesn't really do any sewing now. I hope it's something she'll come back to after uni.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I think children will love the bright and colourful illustrations.

      Delete
  6. What a colourful book. It looks like it was really well thought out. The owl on the front is sure to catch the imagination.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think children will love this book, it's just the thing to introduce them to sewing and embroidery.

      Delete
  7. I never learned to sew either. That's a really lovely book. The illustrations are gorgeous. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the book will encourage a whole new generation of sewers, it's such a lovely book and a great idea.

      Delete
  8. It looks like a great book, I can remember learning some embroidery stitches at school many moons ago. I have joined a sewing group and embroidery is on the menu for the next meeting. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you're ever too old to learn new skills but it helps to start young.

      Delete
  9. My dear mum was a sewer and a knitter, and although I was able to do some very simple sewing, I never got on with knitting!

    If you enjoy crafts like this there can be nothing better, and this looks a super book nicely illustrated and I love the idea of it being spiral bound, it can make it so much easier when you want a page left open.

    Thanks for the review Jo

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would make a lovely gift for a child, it's wonderful for a crafter to pass on their skills to the younger generation.

      Delete
  10. A very colourful book, nice illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the bright colours will capture young children's imaginations. It's a lovely book to get the next generation into crafting.

      Delete
  11. It looks a great book for children. The bright, clear layout of the book looks very good. I had a book 'My Fun With Wool' - when I was a child. I loved it and made a few things from it. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the secret with anything is to start them young. This book is perfect for getting little ones started on their sewing adventures.

      Delete
  12. All NZ kids of my generation were taught to sew at school - we had rooms full of sewing machines! We sewed wombles (ha!), nylon backpacks, skirts, aprons etc. Some schools still teach it. We had a fun afternoon at school one day where we could do hand stitching or macrame etc too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel left out now with most people learning to sew at school. I think it's something which should definitely be taught in schools, they do have lessons at secondary school now but I think they should start them off in primary school.

      Delete