Friday 11 April 2014

Victorian Leeds - Thornton's Arcade

We were back in Leeds city centre yesterday for a fitting for Eleanor's prom dress so I thought I'd show you the pretty Victorian arcade where the clothing alteration shop is situated.

There are lots of arcades in Leeds which, sadly, were somewhat neglected until they underwent recent restoration and refurbishment work.


The shop we were visiting is in the oldest covered shopping street in Leeds, Thornton's Arcade. Built in 1878 for Charles Thornton, the proprietor of The Old White Swan Inn and who owned the Varieties Music Hall which is now Leeds City Varieties, it's three stories high with a glass roof.


I used to love visiting this particular arcade as a child as it has the most fabulous clock at the northern end with a mechanism made by William Potts and Sons of Leeds.


The four life size figures of characters from Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe were carved by the Leeds sculptor John Wormald Appleyard. Richard Coeur-de-Lion and Friar Tuck strike the hours while Robin Hood and Gurth the Swineherd strike the quarters. I remember standing and waiting for the figures to move and create the chimes when I was a child.


The shops in Thornton's Arcade tend to be small speciality shops, some arranged over several floors.

We've still got to go back and collect Eleanor's prom dress so we'll be visiting this particular arcade again very soon.

18 comments:

  1. I remember visiting there many years ago. Terrific photos. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. These photos were taken with my little pocket camera which I keep in my bag for when I'm out and about and not carrying my other cameras, it only cost about £40 and it takes decent ish photos. I bet it's changed since you visited, there's been lots of refurbishment work carried out in Leeds over the last twenty years.

      Delete
  2. There are some lovely arcades in Leeds arent there Jo and thank goodness they are being restored to their full former glories. There was a time they looked sadly neglected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are, especially now they've been restored. We've got some beautiful architecture in Leeds.

      Delete
  3. We're not that far away, but never seem to go over to Leeds, it looks such a lovely place to shop xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leeds is the shopping centre of the North. I'm not in to fashions but it's got all the designer labels, the high street stores and the independent shops. I must admit that I don't go in to the centre that often, but it does have everything you could want.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow. I would love to see this in person someday. Thank you for sharing these photos, it's fascinating to look at places like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got some beautiful old buildings in Leeds and lots of history in the city too. I find I'm more aware of it and wanting to know more about it as I get older.

      Delete
  5. Lovely, though I'm not sure whether I went in that one or not, must ask Hubby. I think of Thorntons and chocolates!!! We lived in Tasmania for a while and in Hobart there is an arcade with a great clock depicting the cow jumping over the moon, I think. Now I'm having a seniors moment.(lol). Have a great weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of chocolates when Thorntons is mentioned too, what does that say about us? The cow jumping over the moon clock sounds wonderful, I love these animated timepieces.

      Delete
  6. What a great place to go shopping, and how beautifully restored it is. I hope that Eleanor has a great time at her prom! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's some beautiful arcades in Leeds, all restored to their former glory. Eleanor's really looking forward to her prom, she's only got a few weeks to wait now.

      Delete
  7. What an elegant arcade. That clock must look magnificent given that the figures are life size.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to get some photos of some of the other arcades, they're quite beautiful. The clock is fabulous, always a favourite when I was a child and I still love to see it now.

      Delete
  8. I don't think I've ever seen that arcade! I really must drag Peter along t'Leeds just to revisit the arcades. I think they are so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The arcades are really lovely now they've been restored. This particular one isn't far from Cath Kidston's, just up the road.

      Delete
  9. This is lovely - we have a similar Arcade in the centre of Norwich, but it's probably a bit smaller that the Leeds one. Must visit Leeds one day when I'm back home in Yorkshire! xCathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's some lovely arcades in Leeds, this is the oldest one and the newest, though very different from this one, and filled with all the big name shops, opened just last year.

      Delete