Sunday 29 December 2013

2013 Challenge Results

My 2013 challenges were:-

1) Watch one old film each month.

2) List five items on Ebay each month.

3) Have a date night with Mick each month.


I've thoroughly enjoyed watching an old film each month. Some of them I'd seen before but others were new to me. Here's a list of what I've watched.

January - Brief Encounter
February - Rebecca
March - Mildred Pierce
April - All About Eve
May - Gone With The Wind
June - Casablanca
July - Sunset Boulevard
August - From Here To Eternity
September - Bus Stop
October - A Streetcar Named Desire
November - The Big Sleep
December - It's A Wonderful Life

I intended to rate them one to twelve but it would be impossible. There's some I definitely prefer to others, but I couldn't choose between some of them. I'm pleased that I've eventually got round to watching some of the classics and it's something I intend to continue. I shall watch out for them being repeated on tv and make an effort to watch more.


My Ebay listings have now ended. I've listed five items each month, sixty items in total throughout the year, and I've sold fifty six of them. I don't yet have a definite figure of what I've made from the items I've sold as I'm waiting for payment for one item and waiting to post another, but it's somewhere in the region of  £180.00. I'm really pleased with this amount, the items were all of low value, clothes which Daniel and Eleanor had grown out of, old magazines and books.

In addition to selling my own sixty items over the year on Ebay, I also listed one each month for Daniel and Eleanor. These were old toys, games or books of theirs. Every one of them sold and Daniel has made £52.16 and Eleanor has made £55.47. A nice little earner.

I shall continue to list things on Ebay, this challenge has shown just how profitable it can be, but I won't challenge myself to list a certain number of items each month, it turns it in to a stressful event. Instead, I shall list as I feel inclined to, perhaps more than five items in one go, but only every few months.


Our date nights have been a success. Admittedly, we haven't gone far, but the dates have given us some time alone and given us the chance to talk without being interrupted. This is something we shall definitely continue with.


I think my 2013 challenges have been a success. I'm still trying to come up with some fun challenges for 2014 so I shall let you know what they are as soon as they're finalised.

26 comments:

  1. Three challenges that you clearly enjoyed, and in one case was profitable as well.
    I look forward to seeing what you'll be doing next year. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were enjoyable challenges, and making money from one of them was the icing on the cake.

      Delete
  2. That is a tidy little sum for you all from your ebay listings. Well done for keeping with it.
    You've watched some good films there. A good challenge to do again.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I forgot to mention what I'd be using the money for in my post. Eleanor has her prom this year and is after a prom dress as well as having her hair done and everything else which proms dictate nowadays, so the money will be for that. I've really enjoyed all the films I've watched, I'm pleased I did this challenge.

      Delete
  3. Good challenges and it looks like you were very successful. Hope you have good luck in the year to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only successful because I make my challenges fun. No new year resolutions here which I can't stick to. I'm thinking up some new fun challenges for 2014 now.

      Delete
  4. Well done with your challenges Jo, you did so well! The nearly £300 for your family from your sales is a great amount. Looking foward to reading about your new challenges for 2014!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm really pleased with the Ebay sales, and Daniel and Eleanor are too. I'm actually thinking that I should take a cut of their profits, after all, I was the one who photographed and listed everything, not to mention posting them too.

      Delete
  5. Well done on all challenges and I've just been reviewing my year and trying to work out what I want to achieve in the new one. Posting on a blog has shown me that when I say I've not done anything this year, that actually, I have. Happy New Year to you and the family and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogs are great for recording things throughout the year. The challenges I set myself are always fun ones, I'm just finalising the ones for 2014 and then I'll share them here. Thank you, sending Happy New Year wishes to you and your family too.

      Delete
  6. I sold a few things on eBay as well this year and, like you, I'm thinking of keeping it going. Getting a few pounds for things that are otherwise just gathering dust is a great incentive for me! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selling on Ebay can be a bit of a drag, all the photographing of items, listing them and then trailing to the post office to post them, but it's all worth it when you add up what you've made. I'll definitely sell more things in 2014.

      Delete
  7. It sounds like you did great, Jo! Good for you. I am sure you'll be successful in 2014 as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It helps that I make my challenges fun, much easier to stick to that way.

      Delete
  8. Hi Jo, you have done really well with your challenges! I have been thinking of challenges for myself for 2014 as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ebay challenge was a bit of a bind, photographing all the items, listing them and posting them, but it was worth it in the end. I'm still finalising my 2014 challenges at the moment.

      Delete
  9. We have enjoyed watching Toy Story 1, 2 & 3 over Christmas - like the idea of a challenge list for 2014 - sounds better than resolutions!
    Happy New Year Dxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're all fans of the Toy Story films here. I much prefer challenges to resolutions, I always make them fun so they're easy to stick to. Thank you, Happy New Year to you and yours too.

      Delete
  10. I think it will be hard to find 2014 challenges that beat the fun and success of this year! All the best for the New Year. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that I've enjoyed this year's challenges, so much so that I will be continuing with them in some vein in 2014. Thank you, wishing you all the very best for 2014 too.

      Delete
  11. I've really enjoyed reading about your challenges through the year, and well done with the ebay sales! Lucky Eleanor having you spend the money on her prom things. Happy New Year to all of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite hard going with Ebay sometimes, but definitely worth it in the end. Proms are such big events these days, we never had them when I was at school. Thank you, a very Happy New Year to you and yours too.

      Delete
  12. Jo I think you have done really well with your challenges. I know what you mean about ebay, but it was worth doing wasnt it? Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ebay was definitely worth doing. It was a bit of a drag on occasions but the money I made from it made it worthwhile. Thank you, all the very best for 2014 to you and yours too.

      Delete
  13. Well done for persevering with your challenge every single month. It obviously paid off, that's a fantastic amount you raised. And now you have seen all those brilliant old films too. I hope you had a lovely Christmas and wish you all the best for 2014.
    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were fun challenges so quite easy to keep up with. I'm really happy with the money I made from Ebaying, and I fully intend to continue watching the old classics, especially ones I haven't seen before. We had a lovely Christmas, I hope you did too. Thank you, sending wishes for a happy and healthy 2014 to you and yours too.

      Delete