I started this ripple blanket for Daniel back in April. I thought it would be nice for him to take it to university, so I'm really pleased that I've managed to get it finished just in time, he heads off to York next weekend.
This is the first ripple blanket I've made, and to be honest, it isn't perfect, but it's acceptable. I started with 171 chains ( 12X14+3 ) after I'd measured it on the bed and it looked ok, but what I didn't realise is that the ripple pattern tends to pull it in a little so it could really have done with starting off wider. It does have a small overhang on each side of the bed, so it's ok, but I'll start with a longer chain next time.
I wanted to straighten the wavy edges up at the ends so that I could do a border and had no trouble with the top end which I was working on, but when I went back to straighten the cast on edge, it was a nightmare. It's so hard working out of the foundation row, I really need to tweak my technique there. You can see that you need to make different length stitches on this row in order to make a straight edge.
I used Stylecraft Special DK in Midnight, Denim, Sherbet, Silver and White.
I love the fabric which the ripple pattern creates, it's so much denser than the granny square pattern which I've used for my previous blankets. I can tell that this will be really warm.
You may remember that I put my One A Day blanket to one side after 192 Days. I'd finished all the squares for it but still needed to do the border, and as I was about to go on holiday I decided to leave it until I got back. I knew that I wanted to get Daniel's Ripple blanket finished first, so it's only now that I've picked the One A Day blanket back up. I'm working on the border, so I should have another finished blanket to show you soon.