Wednesday 21 June 2023

Happy Scrappy Blanket

This scrappy blanket was started back in 2018. It's been picked up and put back down again many times since then but I've thoroughly enjoyed the times when I have been working on it.

It's made up entirely of hand dyed yarn. There's leftovers from other projects I've made, mini skeins I've bought, mini skeins from the advent calendars I've purchased at Christmastime and yarn I've swapped. There's one hundred and forty squares in total, ten by fourteen, which makes it a nice sized lap blanket.

I followed the Coziest Memory pattern by Kemper Ray for the squares. It's a free pattern on Ravelry. I've arranged the squares so that the mitre ridge running through the centre of each square radiates out from the centre of the blanket. The pattern of the ridges is something to consider right at the start of the project as it will affect the way that stitches are picked up for each square. I know many people who haven't given it a thought and then discovered that the ridges go off in all sorts of directions. 

The pattern I used doesn't mention the edges of the blanket but I decided to add an I-cord border, I think it just finishes it off.

It's nice to get a long term project off the needles but I'm feeling a little bereft now, I can see me casting on another in the not too distant future. Just look at all those colours, I think I shall call it my Happy Scrappy Blanket.

16 comments:

  1. Looks fab Jo, congrats on finishing. I'm still plugging away at mine when the mood takes me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must know how I love bright colours, so this is just gorgeous to me. These things take time and although we put them aside sometimes it's worth picking them up and finishing them (she says) lol with lots of stuff unfinished, lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks amazing, Jo. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's worked out a treat, I've loved watching its progress. It must be particularly cosy and squishy with all the lovely hand dyed yarn you used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great name for your lovely blanket, Jo. I look forward to seeing the next one!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is absolutely beautiful! It looks like a cloth quilt from a distance. Wonderful colors and the icord finish is inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fabulous Jo & well done on sticking with it all these years. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a lovely looking 'Happy Scrappy Blanket.'
    I'm sure you will be making another one :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Jo and the cording was a great idea. I thought it was fabric at first but how lovely that it is a soft yarn - so much cosier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The scrappy blanket is gorgeous, Jo! What a labor of love.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a fabulous blanket, I love it.

    ReplyDelete