Saturday 19 November 2022

My Journaling Plans For 2023

I've kept journals in one way or another for many years now, though I'm always trying out new ways to record my ramblings. This year I've been using a Hobonichi Cousin.

It's worked well. At first I wondered if I'd manage to journal every single day, and also if I'd manage to fill up an A5 size page, but I have on both counts.

The Hobonichi is actually a planner rather than a journal and I did wonder how I'd fill up each section to make use of the whole book. There is a full page for each day of the year and this is where I do my journalling, but there are other sections too. I used the yearly section, which has just a line for each day of the year, to record my step count and I decided to use the weekly layouts to record reading, crafting and walks throughout the year.

The monthly sections never got used at all though.

I have to admit that writing in an A5 journal every single day of the year and filling up the whole page is quite time consuming, and as much as I've enjoyed using this Hobonichi, I've decided to go back to using my old journal, which is just an A4 undated book which I write in as and when. This book has been used since 2006 with years off here and there as I've tried out different journals, but in the end, I always return to it.

Who knows, after a year off writing every day I may try out a different journal again. Time will tell. Do you journal? What do you use to journal in? Do you write every single day or just when you have something to record?

12 comments:

  1. I journal right here in my laptop. Is love to be able to use a "proper" book but realistiically this suits my style better. I make an entry every day while I have my first cuppa. Mine is as much about how I am thinking as what I am doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I do not journal.
    I do have a diary in which I make notes, keep important birthdays, anniversaries, reminders etc.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really needed a good place to journal this year as it's been such an exciting one for you. One to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't journal. I've tried several times but just didn't stick to it. I've still got the few pages I did write and they're fascinating as I wrote about every day stuff like what we had for tea, where we went for snack and what we ate. Boring things to others but interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have journals going back to 1991 - I had some before that but for some reason decided to get rid of them. It is always interesting to reread them and see how your life changes over time and also that often there is a problem that no matter how hard you try never seems to go away or get any better! And then there are the issues that resolved and you wonder in hindsight why you worried over them so much! My journals are just the small lined notebook types and I don't write in it everyday. If I miss a few weeks I generally write a bit of a catchup so that most of the important events are documented.
    I believe like Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth kept a journal - not sure if that was daily though. I always think it is a good way of getting some perspective on life by writing your thoughts down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't journal but my diary is always good to look back on as I write so much in it that it is always a good memory jogger. I bet it is interesting to read back over your journalling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy hearing about your journaling journeys & although I've tried a few things, I mainly use to do lists & occasionally record crafty bits. Enjoy next years jottings. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's Interesting to read that you're reverting to your old A4 undated book. I've never really kept one, or a diary, but do use a small pocket notebook occasionally. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just started doing a bit of journalling, just as and when I have something that I want to remember. I'm using an undated lined notebook. I can imagine that it is time consuming to have to write every day. There's a five-year Hobonichi which might be fun though, and it has a blank right hand page so could theoretically be a ten-year if you used that page too. I use a Weeks as my diary which I quite like. Before that I used a Moleskine with one week to view and a blank right hand page which I really like. But I do like how I can completely flatten the Weeks and it's small enough to leave open as I work. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use a page per day diary to record things I need to remember but also things I would like to do. When I left work I was given a sort of journal called 'Today Do Something For You'. Each month I transfer any memorable events and achievements to this and I now have 6 years of post work memories to remind me of all the things I have done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY!!! I've sorted the problem commenting by turning off blocked third party cookies! Sure took some googling to find that out. Still, I'm up to date with all your news as have been able to read your blog. Loved the wedding posts. Snowbird.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of Hobonichi but I can relate as I always seem to go back to my tried-and-true. Husband records three or four lines onto his phone for his journal. Just reminders mostly. I write a few things down every day, as memory joggers. I wish I had kept journals going back several years.

    ReplyDelete