Friday 29 July 2022

Planning A New Garden

The garden at our new house is smaller than the garden we left behind. There's a patio area, a grassed area and one small border. When we moved here the border was well stocked, however, on looking at the plants closer, they weren't what we wanted to remain in the border. There was a bamboo, known for being invasive, so that was hoicked out at the first opportunity, and there were various plants which are highly toxic to dogs. Archie's quite good and doesn't tend to nibble anything but grass, but we didn't want to take any chances so they were pulled up too. To be honest, I think that some of the plants, including the bamboo, had been grown in containers and perhaps planted out just before the previous owners moved out, as they came up really easily, and the rhizomes hadn't spread at all, thank goodness. It would have been a much harder job to make sure we'd got it all out if it were a mature plant.

So now we're planning a new border. It won't take many plants to fill it, especially leaving room for them to grow, but it's fun deciding what we want to plant anyway.

There's already a lovely hydrangea, not shown at its best here. It's a really deep pink, suggesting that our soil is alkaline. Hydrangeas actually change colour according to the pH level of the soil. The more alkaline the soil, the more pinker the flowers will be and the more acidic the soil, the bluer the flowers. White varieties of hydrangea don't change colour.

I gave up growing hostas in my old garden as they just ended up as slug fodder, even when I planted them in containers. Unfortunately, this one in my new garden looks to be going the same way, time will tell whether I keep it in the border or not but they're not very attractive with decimated leaves.

This wiegela was beautiful at the beginning of summer, it was covered in pink flowers, but it's not much to look at now. Is it worth keeping it for the short time it flowers, I'm not sure.

Of course, as well as growing plants in the border, we can fill some containers. I didn't bring very much with me from my old garden, even the blueberry bushes, which I grew in containers, were rehomed with Eleanor. The only things I brought with me were three rose bushes and a skimmia japonica. I used to have a cordyline quite a few years ago but it died, I suspect it had something to do with the fact that Eleanor tore all its leaves in half, longways! It ended up with twice the number of leaves it started with. Little monkey, she was only young then. I always liked it so I decided I'd get another to grow in a pot. When I saw some young specimens for sale in B&M I picked one up.

The garden is south-west facing and the border faces the house with a fence behind it. It gets a fair amount of sun and a fair amount of shade. If you have any suggestions of plants which might do well in these conditions, which work well in a mixed border and give plenty of colour I'd love to know. I'd like plants of different heights and some climbers to cover the fence too. Any ideas?

12 comments:

  1. Have fun planting up your new garden. Mine was just pot luck, bought what I liked the look of in the garden centre and hoped for the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with it Jo, it's taken 5 years for mine to begin to look like a garden, I have very poor soil so most of my plants are in pots. Have fun selecting your plants I find it's always a case of trial and error, I love penstemon they do very well in my border and flower for weeks, lupins for height rudbeckia goldstrum is another favourite and is in bud now and will flower till the first frosts. I never seem to have much luck with climbers but I have a clematis which has done well for the first time this year and a climbing rose. Roses always look lovely, my favourite flower. Have a lovely weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought that the colour of your hydrangea depended on the acidity of your soil but yesterday I saw, in the same garden, a deep pink one, a deep blue one and a light pink one. All close together. It was most odd - but also lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I'll put my thinking cap on & pop you an email. Maybe you could come and help me with our wilderness these days, as it is just too steep & my back isn't helping any either. Look forward to seeing yours in progress. Have a lovely weekend, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your new garden.
    You could perhaps have a word with a local garden centre about what plants would be best suited for your garden.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to seeing what plants you choose to go with that lovely hydrangea. I'm sure that you'll have a rose or two, and how about an aster and/or sedum for colour later in the autumn. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun Jo, I sometimes think that planning and establishing a new garden is more fun than maintaining an existing one.

    Definitely put in some form of water feature, doesn't have to be massive, but will greatly enhance conditions for wildlife, and of course please make it easy to escape from in case you get a hedgehog visiting.

    I have a lot of hostas which experience virtually no nibbling. I think this is down to two factors: I only grow the 'blue' varieties which have much tougher leaves, and with our ponds we have loads of frogs & birds who eat the slugs and snails.

    Spend the 'planning time' enhancing your soil because unless you have good, healthy soil then everything will struggle. This is as simple as just piling on loads & loads of compost and bark mulch. You do not even have to dig it in.

    The other thing I would suggest, but it might be a little late for this season, is visit every NGS Yellow Book garden that you can to see what grows well in your area, and do not be afraid to peer into the gardens of your new neighbours for similar inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting to be planning a new garden! At least what you've got already sounds very manageable but you'll be able go see your new plants change the look of the place and go from strength to strength. I expect you've brought your special roses with you, I hope they soon settle in. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy for you, Jo, that you have a lovely new home and a garden. It doesn't have to be a large garden to give you endless pleasure. However, in a small space every plant must add as much as possible, so the weigela may have to go. As well as a vine, can you put hanging baskets on the fence? I look forward to seeing your new garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is exciting creating a new garden. You were lucky with the bamboo - we have been trying for ages to rid ourselves of one in our garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always fun to plan out a new garden bed. A plant I love is Brachyglottis 'sunshine'. I bought a very small plant about 3 years ago and it has dne fantastically well. It is in a very open area but has coped with everything from searing hot sunshine to storm force gales and everything else in between. Pretty yellow daisy flowers and all season grey leaves. Hope you find some plants you love for your new garden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like great fun to be able to put your mark on your new garden, especially choosing new plants, a new look and great project xcx

    ReplyDelete