Thursday 5 August 2021

Where The Crawdads Sing

I'll be honest, I only picked up a copy of Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens to see what all the hoo-ha was about, I probably wouldn't have reached for it otherwise, but I'm so pleased that I did. This book seems to be on so many people's reading lists, and rightly so.

"For years, rumours of the 'Marsh Girl' have haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet town on the North Carolina coast. So in late 1969, when handsome Chase Andrews is found dead, the locals immediately suspect Kya Clark, the so-called Marsh Girl. But Kya is not what they say. Sensitive and intelligent, she has survived for years alone in the marsh that she calls home, finding friends in the gulls and lessons in the sand. Then the time comes when she yearns to be loved. When two young men from town become intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new life - until the unthinkable happens."

A story about prejudice, intolerance and acceptance. I thought this book was beautifully written with wonderful descriptions of the marshes and their fauna and flora. Delia Owens' background as a zoologist and nature writer really stands out in her writing which transported me to the North Carolina coast. There are some wonderful characters in the book who seem to jump off the pages and come to life.

Often, I find books can be overhyped, but not in this case. I loved Where The Crawdads Sing and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

16 comments:

  1. I LOVED this - like you, probably wouldn't have given it a second look had a friend not passed on her copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds a very good read. I had to look up what crawdads are and now I know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this too and gave it four stars on Goodreads, it is rather rare that a book gets five stars. Do you do Goodreads yourself? I find it really useful for tracking all my reading and books on my 'must read one day' list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not on Goodreads, though I have had a look at it recently and wondered whether to track my books on there. Still not sure though.

      Delete
  4. I agree with you, I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've avoided ordering it from the library because it got so many mentions when it was published but perhaps I ought to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually avoid books that have a lot of hype and also books that everyone is reading, I dont know why. I do like personal recommendations though, I'll have to put this on my to read list, sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did enjoy that book.

    You might also like Before We Were Yours. It has a similar "swamp based" storyline.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the recommendation Jo I can't wait to read this. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds good, but our libraries are once again closed due to our lockdown #7. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this a while back, and loved it. The movie version is coming out next year. I'm looking forward to it. P.x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds intriguing. And I too had to look up what crawdads are :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really liked that book, the pace of it was slow, like the tide wandering in and out of the marsh. So glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Many thanks for the recommendation.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the title and your review, a cert for me to look out for.xxx

    ReplyDelete